Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Why does this keep on happening I have the latest Apple TV and this constantly happens mostly at nights, I have to always reset it or unplug it and the problem goes away. Is there a glitch that Apple needs to fix? I am hoping I am not the only one having this problem.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Why does this keep on happening I have the latest Apple TV and this constantly happens mostly at nights, I have to always reset it or unplug it and the problem goes away. Is there a glitch that Apple needs to fix? I am hoping I am not the only one having this problem.

You are definitely not the only one having the problem. Apple says small number of Apple TVs have WiFi issues, opens replacement program. Here is the link so you can read up on it. Possible yours could be one of them.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
You are definitely not the only one having the problem. Apple says small number of Apple TVs have WiFi issues, opens replacement program. Here is the link so you can read up on it. Possible yours could be one of them.

But I just bought my Apple TV it is not more than 2 weeks old:confused: Also checked the serial number on my Apple TV does not match to the ones that are affected by this.

Did they not fix it?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Did not know you just recently purchased in last 2 weeks. Nothing in your original post indicated that. Another thing to check; where is your router located in relationship to the ATV3. Mine was to for away from the router with walls in between so I had to extend my network to get a proper signal to the ATV. Your other option may be setting up an Ethernet connection.

Once I extended my wireless network, it solved my dropped connection issues. My next choice would have been going with Ethernet.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Did not know you just recently purchased in last 2 weeks. Nothing in your original post indicated that. Another thing to check; where is your router located in relationship to the ATV3. Mine was to for away from the router with walls in between so I had to extend my network to get a proper signal to the ATV. Your other option may be setting up an Ethernet connection.

Once I extended my wireless network, it solved my dropped connection issues. My next choice would have been going with Ethernet.

I have a Airport Extreme (In my bedroom) extended with Airport Express (The Airport Express is in my family room), from my room to the family room it least 30 feet away but when I check the signal on Apple TV it is a full signal. My internet speed provided by my ISP is 30 Mbps download and 4Mbps upload so I really can not figure out where the problem really is.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
If it happens mainly at night, and not during the day, then it's not the AEBS or express. It's likely your ISP. Doesn't matter if your ISP provides 30 Mbs speeds if latency speeds get worse during the night. Could be that there are more people in your neighborhood streaming at night, playing games, surfing, etc. On your AEBS, change the DNS server to google or OpenDNS. I use 8.8.4.4, which is a google server and is usually more stable than my isp.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
If it happens mainly at night, and not during the day, then it's not the AEBS or express. It's likely your ISP. Doesn't matter if your ISP provides 30 Mbs speeds if latency speeds get worse during the night. Could be that there are more people in your neighborhood streaming at night, playing games, surfing, etc. On your AEBS, change the DNS server to google or OpenDNS. I use 8.8.4.4, which is a google server and is usually more stable than my isp.

Could be my ISP it is possible but I do a internet speed test at night and found that my ISP finally has fixed the issue where the speeds dropped at night and whenever this happens I switch to my Blu Ray player to watch Netflix and speed is perfectly fine on my Blu Ray with no problems. If this was few days ago or the last few months I would have said my ISP is totally at fault. As the DNS situation how does that work? I sure do not understand DNS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.