Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
I have two iPods, 80 gb Classic and 16 gb Nano (touch with FM radio). I plug them into my 2012 Mac Mini and I get this message:

iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the iPod.

I plug them into my MacBook Pro or MacBook Air and they are fine. I've tried both a USB port on the back of the Mini and the USB hub in my HP display with the same result. Any idea how to resolve this?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Sounds like a software problem. I know it's basic, but have you tried restarting?

Otherwise, reinstalling iTunes couldn't hurt.

Do any other apps recognise them (like Spotify)?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
So, I have made some progress. If I connect the iPods to my MacBook Air, iTunes launches and everything seems fine. When I reconnect to the Mini it also shows up fine and I can sync the iPods once. After I disconnect and reconnect, I get the same error message and I have to connect the iPods to the MBA before syncing with the Mini. This is really one bizarre problem.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
So, I have made some progress. If I connect the iPods to my MacBook Air, iTunes launches and everything seems fine. When I reconnect to the Mini it also shows up fine and I can sync the iPods once. After I disconnect and reconnect, I get the same error message and I have to connect the iPods to the MBA before syncing with the Mini. This is really one bizarre problem.

Wow, I'm at a complete loss :eek:

Sounds actually a bit more like it should be a problem on the iPod side, but then it seems a bit too much of a coincidence for them to both have the same problem.

Maybe reinstall the iPod firmware/iTunes as well? Bit of a PITA but may solve it.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
A hard restart of the iPod couldn't hurt either. Hold down on the scroll wheel along with the middle (select) button until it restarts. Otherwise, I am at a loss. That IS a bizarre problem.

birdman-IL

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
The only solution is to reboot the Mini. Once I do that it works - for a few days, then back to the same problem. It's only on my Mini, my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air sees the iPods just fine.

I'm curious - have you tried to access your iPods from your Mac Mini by using a different user account?
From what you describe, I would expect that one of the iTunes related files (most likely stored in the application support folder in your user library directory) might have become corrupted or damaged.
Just a thought...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.