Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:49 AM   #1
tekno
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Cloud storage - why do my files need to be in their folder?

So far I've tried Dropbox and Google Drive, and with both, in order to sync my files to the cloud, I need to move all my files into the "Drive" folder.

1 - Why can't I keep my files where they are on my computer and simply select the ones I want to sync to the cloud?

2 - Do the files then delete from my Mac? If my Drive account were to be hacked and deleted, would they disappear from the cloud and my Mac?

3 - If I delete a file online, will it then delete off my Mac?

4 - Is there a reason NOT to use Google Drive?
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:41 AM   #2
dan1eln1el5en
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
1 - Why can't I keep my files where they are on my computer and simply select the ones I want to sync to the cloud?
Because it syncs folders and it's content, if the folder reports to the app that it has changed then it will update, I guess files only would be troublesome.
But the folder thing works, and you can change it's location (e.g. Dropbox is parent to your home directory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
2 - Do the files then delete from my Mac? If my Drive account were to be hacked and deleted, would they disappear from the cloud and my Mac?
Well, yeah, it's syncs...
but closing the app will stop the sync process, or you just choose that from the apps menu.
On the other hand, if you accidentally delete a file you can go to the website and restore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
3 - If I delete a file online, will it then delete off my Mac?
Yes if sync is on

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
4 - Is there a reason NOT to use Google Drive?
It's Google...

I must admit I'm more into DropBox and Bitcasa.
But no there isn't a huge bad reason why not.
dan1eln1el5en is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:26 AM   #3
tekno
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1eln1el5en View Post
Because it syncs folders and it's content, if the folder reports to the app that it has changed then it will update, I guess files only would be troublesome.
But the folder thing works, and you can change it's location (e.g. Dropbox is parent to your home directory)
Thanks for the reply.

I don't quite get your answer to Q1. At the moment, all my folders/files are in my Mac's Home folder (in the various Documents, Music, Photos etc. folders). At the moment, if I want to sync Documents and Pictures, I need to move those folders out of my home folder and into my Google Drive folder. This kind of splits my Mac in two.

Why can't I just say to Google Drive: Sync User/Home/Documents and User/Home/Pictures?

It's also frustrating that I want it to sync just my most recent pictures (pictures/2013) but doing that means separating them from all the other photos which in turn screws-up iPhoto.
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:39 AM   #4
jsm4182
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newburgh, NY
Send a message via AIM to jsm4182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
1 - Why can't I keep my files where they are on my computer and simply select the ones I want to sync to the cloud?
What you're describing is how cloud backup services usually work, something like crashplan or backblaze. Dropbox and google drive work more like a shared folder, they sync all the data in a specific folder across devices, for them to work like your asking all the devices would have to have the same folder structure, which is not really possible, and does't allow for excluding files.
__________________
Mac Mini, 2.3ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, ML | MacBook Air 13", 1.3ghz i5, 1GB RAM, 128GB SSD, ML | iPhone 5 32GB White | iPad 3 64GB Black
jsm4182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:27 PM   #5
dan1eln1el5en
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Why can't I just say to Google Drive: Sync User/Home/Documents and User/Home/Pictures?
Just make the default Users/Home/Dropbox/User/

or just make symbolic links, so absolute opposite of your ideal world.

You move the folders you want to the DropBox folder (Google drive whatever) then drag a "Shortcut" or google how to make Symbolic drives to your home folder, where the pictures and music normally resides.

Then the files would be synced, backup and look like normal structure.
dan1eln1el5en is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:32 PM   #6
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1eln1el5en View Post
Just make the default Users/Home/Dropbox/User/

or just make symbolic links, so absolute opposite of your ideal world.

You move the folders you want to the DropBox folder (Google drive whatever) then drag a "Shortcut" or google how to make Symbolic drives to your home folder, where the pictures and music normally resides.

Then the files would be synced, backup and look like normal structure.
You can do it the other way too. Leave the files in the normal places and then make symlinks in the dropbox folder and it will sync.

~/Documents is symlinked to ~/Dropbox/Documents for me so it automatically syncs all my files to the dropbox.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:44 AM   #7
dan1eln1el5en
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
~/Documents is symlinked to ~/Dropbox/Documents for me so it automatically syncs all my files to the dropbox.
Really ? thats cool, I thought it would just sync the link and not the real folders files.
dan1eln1el5en is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:47 PM   #8
tech4all
macrumors 68040
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
1 - Why can't I keep my files where they are on my computer and simply select the ones I want to sync to the cloud?
SugarSync does just that. There is no central folder, expect for one they give you. You choose which folder(s) to sync to the cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
2 - Do the files then delete from my Mac? If my Drive account were to be hacked and deleted, would they disappear from the cloud and my Mac?

3 - If I delete a file online, will it then delete off my Mac?
Whatever changes happen on one device happens throughout all the devices synced to the cloud. SugarSync does send al deleted files/folders to their 'trash can' that you can still recover them from via the software. But test this first, incase I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
4 - Is there a reason NOT to use Google Drive?
If you're a "Google-hater" then the only reason to not use it would be because it's Google and not Apple. If you're an actual tech person and not sleeping with the Big Apple, then Google Drive is fine.

Don't listen to the anti-Google talk that goes on here. Most of it's all BS and coming from people have no idea what they're talking about. All you'll hear from them is Apple is better and Google is evil and give no reasoning.

Now I must go, I'm about to be attacked by the AppleGuard
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cloud storage vs more in-phone storage? (64gb) ThereGoesJB iPhone 18 Sep 12, 2013 02:05 PM
For those that use cloud storage... njmitchel0 Digital Photography 3 Jul 23, 2013 08:31 AM
For those that use cloud storage... njmitchel0 Design and Graphics 2 Jul 19, 2013 07:45 AM
iPhone: 5 gb of cloud storage eclipse01 iOS 5 and earlier 3 Aug 28, 2012 10:27 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC