Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
i have an old imac g4 800mhz machine i would like to restore and i have a ton of discs that came with the machine. first of all i have 6 software restore discs, an osx install disc, an os9 install disc and an applications disc. do i need to run all of these and in which order? i'll upgrade my osx when i am done. thanks.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
i have an old imac g4 800mhz machine i would like to restore and i have a ton of discs that came with the machine. first of all i have 6 software restore discs, an osx install disc, an os9 install disc and an applications disc. do i need to run all of these and in which order? i'll upgrade my osx when i am done. thanks.

The depends on which iMac G4 800mhz machine you have. 2 of those models can boot into OS 9, but the last one was OS X only that shipped with Jaguar. If that's the one that you have, then only use OS X since that's what you do anyway.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
it will boot in os 9. all of these discs came with the machine.

WMD

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Florida, USA
I would do OS 9 first, then OS X, then software restore and applications. Unless the software restore discs make mention of some version of Mac OS being on them - but I doubt that, otherwise, why would it come with separate OS discs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.