Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:15 AM   #1
heehee
macrumors 68020

Hyperloop - LA to NY in 45 Minutes

What do you think about travelling from LA to NY in 45 minutes? Can it be done? I'm skeptical, but never bet against the real life Tony Stark.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/07...usk-hyperloop/

Quote:
Musk described the Hyperloop as “a cross between a Concorde, a railgun and an air hockey table,” at the AllThingsD D11 conference earlier this year. And in an interview with PandoDaily, Musk said the Hyperloop could form a fifth tent pole of modern transportation, joining cars, planes, trains, and boats, adding that because of its low energy usage and ability to get juice from solar power, it could generate more power than it would consume. But up until now, he hasn’t elaborated on his involvement.
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:19 AM   #2
maflynn

Its a cool idea but I do question the feasibility and the cost of such travel

With web conferencing the need for such travel may not be all that needed.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

While i've learned never to say never (assuming the idea does not violate the laws of physics as we know them)...so let's say it seems to me to be highly unlikely.

But...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:35 AM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I'm skeptical but I long for the day I can get from one coast to the next quicker. Right now, travel to and from CA is long. Usually, travel time is about 7-8 hours if I am lucky. With time changes going to CA is great, coming home, not so much. I venture to guess if there were some way to get to and from CA in just a couple of hours (even 4) I would take the trip more often.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:37 AM   #5
SandboxGeneral

That would be really neat. I think technologically, its possible. The only reasons why it couldn't be done would be funding and property right-of-ways along its intended construction paths.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:04 AM   #6
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
That would be really neat. I think technologically, its possible. The only reasons why it couldn't be done would be funding and property right-of-ways along its intended construction paths.

Funding and right of way are likely harder to achieve than the technology.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:13 AM   #7
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Concept is really neat and if the technology is not there now, I would bet that it wouldn't be far away. But the logistics of putting this into reality would be a massive undertaking. That would be just for US alone, not even considering what world wide would take. On top of the funding that would be required.

None the less would be some real state of the art stuff.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:26 AM   #8
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Concept is really neat and if the technology is not there now, I would bet that it wouldn't be far away. But the logistics of putting this into reality would be a massive undertaking. That would be just for US alone, not even considering what world wide would take. On top of the funding that would be required.

None the less would be some real state of the art stuff.
Considering the obstacles I had to overcome last year in building several radio towers, the politics and property rights to achieve this, in the United States, would be a monumental task. It may be easier to achieve in other countries where they have less regulations on building projects.

If it were like the days of the trans-continental railroad, this wouldn't be too difficult to achieve!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 09:28 AM   #9
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Looks pretty cool, however, I'm waiting for the transporters from Star Trek to become a reality.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:22 AM   #10
AppleCruncher
Banned

I imagine going that fast would require a pretty straight route.
AppleCruncher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:23 AM   #11
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCruncher View Post
I imagine going that fast would require a pretty straight route.
Long gradual curves would also work. Especially considering the distances they're talking about.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:59 AM   #12
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I don't want to go on vacation by web conferencing.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:09 AM   #13
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

How much would they charge us, though. And how does a capsule make bends and turns?

Edit: Guess that question has already surfaced...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:18 AM   #14
macquariumguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to macquariumguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
I don't want to go on vacation by web conferencing.
I wouldn't want to go on vacation in either LA or NY.
macquariumguy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:21 AM   #15
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macquariumguy View Post
I wouldn't want to go on vacation in either LA or NY.
Than you are missing out on some really good stuff!!!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:02 AM   #16
snberk103
macrumors 603

Technically feasible, I believe. One of the great SF writers from, iirc, the 1960s had proposed essentially the same thing.

However, hugely expensive. And I believe Musk has not included any failsafes into his capsules. Or accounted for security precautions needed.

He wants to put people into capsule surrounded by a vacuum. Any damage or failure to the capsule will cause an explosive decompression, so you need backup air in the capsule - enough air to keep people going until a rescue team can arrive. Any damage to the tube magnets will strand the capsules. Some system will have to be put into place to get to stranded capsules, and to get to them relatively quickly.

The system wil have to have the ability have the air reintroduced and subsequently removed for repairs, rescues, etc. Probably on a section by section basis.

A very small rupture in the tube, caused by natural forces or human (accidentally or intentionally) would knockout the whole tube system, unless you can divert traffic around the problem area.

I can think of many other things that Musk has not accounted for in their promo piece. So, while it may be technically possible... I doubt anyone has the money to actually build it. And if they do I think it will be too expensive to run, and prone to breakdowns.

just my 2 cents worth
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:04 AM   #17
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

how much they gonna charge for checking your suitcase?

even if the technology is workable, the cost of building it would prevent it from ever happening
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:02 PM   #18
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Future complaints ........

I can't believe this $!@#!! A 10 minute delay? Really? I need to be compensated for this. It should not take me over 55 min to reach the other side of the country. I swear, travel is getting worse by the years.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:45 PM   #19
heehee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
How much would they charge us, though. And how does a capsule make bends and turns?

Edit: Guess that question has already surfaced...
I think it would be less than the cost of a plane ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky-Mac View Post
how much they gonna charge for checking your suitcase?

even if the technology is workable, the cost of building it would prevent it from ever happening
The estimated cost is $6 billion, 1/10 of the cost of California's proposed high-speed rail system.
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:03 PM   #20
HitchHykr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee View Post
I think it would be less than the cost of a plane ticket.

The estimated cost is $6 billion, 1/10 of the cost of California's proposed high-speed rail system.

Riiiight, these things are never underestimated. It would cost a few billions just to acquire the property rights along the route, never mind designing and building the thing.
HitchHykr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:21 PM   #21
ivnj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Its a cool idea but I do question the feasibility and the cost of such travel

Physically face to face is always the best. And for seeing relatives like thanksgiving makes traveling a breeze.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:26 PM   #22
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

This will be awesome if it becomes a reality.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:32 PM   #23
cube
macrumors G3

So, a variant of the Swissmetro project.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:07 PM   #24
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

6 billion estimated cost!? AHAHAHAAAHHAHAHAHAH!!!! Add a quite a few zeros onto the 6 for the true cost of such a project.

I do think think this kind of thing will be possible in the future but I cannot see how its economically viable any time soon. Even just normal mag lev trains are hugely expensive at the moment.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:46 PM   #25
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee View Post
....The estimated cost is $6 billion, 1/10 of the cost of California's proposed high-speed rail system.
that alone should tell you they haven't a clue about what it would really cost
Macky-Mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion