Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular private taxi service Uber yesterday announced an update to its app that includes fare splitting, finally allowing users to easily split fares with friends within the app.

Previously, users had to manually split payments before or after an Uber payment was made. Now users just have to choose the friends they want to split the fare with and wait for them to accept the fare-split. Users who do not have the Uber app will receive a text message that prompts them to download and sign up for the app.

uber_fare_split.jpg
Uber is a free app available in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Uber Updates iPhone App with Fare Splitting

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
This is genius on their part, many times I was the only one with Uber when I would go out with my friends, so I would pay and they would give me cash, now I will get them to sign up to make it easier, which means there are X more people with CC on file to use Uber on their own. It's like an Uber virus...

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I've been thinking of trying this service instead of regular cabs (Atlanta). Are the prices comparable or is Uber typically more?

Is the tip included in the rate or do you pick that upon arrival on your phone?

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I like how the Nexus 4 has no cellular signal, low battery life, and not quite full wi-fi signal.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
I've been thinking of trying this service instead of regular cabs (Atlanta). Are the prices comparable or is Uber typically more?

Rates are typically slightly more, but tip is included with the rate.

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota

I thought the price was pretty comparable to regualar cabs. Might be a little more but the service and quality of the vehicals they use are excelent. Tip is included in the quote they give you. Receipt is emailed to you.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

I can only comment to their prices in Boston and New York.

Black Car service costs about 1.5x or 2x as much as a cab does. However, for that you get to ride in a nice big black luxury car, with a driver in a suit who opens the door for you. In the past, I have ridden in big Cadilacs and Mercedes sedans with this service.

UberX service costs about as much as a cab with tip would cost. However, for that you get all the other benefits of using this app (phone confirmation with the driver, no tip, no handeling of cash, up-to-the minute estimated time of pickup, etc.) In the past, I have riddeen in a Prius and a white BMW 3-series sedans with this service. I know they also have a Tesla Model S around here for this service as well sometimes.

If you chose to sign up, use this link to get $10 off your first ride:
https://uber.com/invite/0evoy

Boston people can get $25 off their fare to the South Shore using the promo code: bossouth

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
When we go out with a bunch of friends, by the time we go home by taxi, there's usually barely only one person left, sober enough to deal with paying the driver, so we might not be using this, lol

The transaction is handled by a card on file with Uber.

quikslvrx05

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Uber is awesome is Philadelphia! Quick pick up and professional service. Its great that tip is included and you do not have to worry about cash. Splitting the fare is a great addition - seems pretty seamless, can't wait to use it.

Yeah, sign up here and you can get $10 off of your first ride!
https://uber.com/invite/uberFirst10FreePromoCode

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.