Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hello all,

I did not find this issue so here I am. I recently upgraded my hard drive and did a time machine restore that had 10.8.4. Now when I hold option on startup to get to boot camp my recovery partition is saying it is 10.7.2. Any one have an idea why it has gone back to Lion or is this a typo?

MBP Mid 2010 if that helps.

Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you go to About this Mac under the Apple at the top left, what OS version does that show you are running?

If you are running ML and the recovery partition is still on 10.7.2, it sounds like your restore for some reason did not install the ML recovery partition. Unfortunately, the fix is to reinstall ML. Just redownload ML from the App Store and let it reinstall and that will fix it.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If you go to About this Mac under the Apple at the top left, what OS version does that show you are running?

If you are running ML and the recovery partition is still on 10.7.2, it sounds like your restore for some reason did not install the ML recovery partition. Unfortunately, the fix is to reinstall ML. Just redownload ML from the App Store and let it reinstall and that will fix it.

Ya, that's the first thing I checked was my version and it is 10.8.4. Just thought it was very strange that the recovery partition would revert to Lion. I'll probably have to go ahead and do what you suggest.

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ya, that's the first thing I checked was my version and it is 10.8.4. Just thought it was very strange that the recovery partition would revert to Lion. I'll probably have to go ahead and do what you suggest.

Thanks.

It is odd. How were you backing up with Time Machine? Was it a local USB attached drive? If so, that should have the current recovery partition on it and bring it over with the restore.

What do you see if you attached the TM disk and option key boot?

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It is odd. How were you backing up with Time Machine? Was it a local USB attached drive? If so, that should have the current recovery partition on it and bring it over with the restore.

What do you see if you attached the TM disk and option key boot?

I use a Firewire drive to do my backups. When I restored using TM the option backup did say 10.8.4. I'll have to reconnect it and see what it is saying now.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I use a Firewire drive to do my backups. When I restored using TM the option backup did say 10.8.4. I'll have to reconnect it and see what it is saying now.

I am wondering if you were using that same TM backup drive/set on Lion then continued using it with ML and the ML recovery partition never came over to over write the ML one on the external?

If that is the case, and you don't need any of the old versions of files on the external, you may be better off erasing the entire disk and starting a new TM backup. When you erase click the drive name (like Seagate 1TB) as opposed to just the partition so you make sure to erase the old recovery partition.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I am wondering if you were using that same TM backup drive/set on Lion then continued using it with ML and the ML recovery partition never came over to over write the ML one on the external?

If that is the case, and you don't need any of the old versions of files on the external, you may be better off erasing the entire disk and starting a new TM backup. When you erase click the drive name (like Seagate 1TB) as opposed to just the partition so you make sure to erase the old recovery partition.

I'm at work right now so I'll have to go and look at my drive to see what's what. But I appreciate the responses. Will post back what I find.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Time Machine never restores a recovery partition. All you need to do to update the recovery partition is reinstall ML from the App Store (as Weaselboy said).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Time Machine never restores a recovery partition. All you need to do to update the recovery partition is reinstall ML from the App Store (as Weaselboy said).

Yes it does. If there is a recovery partition on the TM backup (and there will be if you are on Lion 10.7.2 or later) the recovery partition is backed up from the main drive to the TM backup, then placed back on the drive as part of a restore.

OP installed a new, blank drive and now has a recovery partition as a result of a TM restore , just the wrong version for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.