Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Charge 5 iOS Devices At Once With Griffin's $100 PowerDock 5




Griffin has started shipping its $100 PowerDock 5 iOS charging station, originally introduced at CES earlier this year.

The dock contains USB ports and organizing separators to allow easy charging of up to five devices at once. The company is aiming the solution at families with many devices or small businesses. Each USB port provides 10 watts of power, allowing for maximum charging speed on newer iPads.

Quote:
It doesn't take up much room, about the same as a single iPad. But it gives you a place to store and charge 5 iOS devices at one time, from a single power source. We think it's the perfect charging solution for small offices or work groups, or a family full of iPhone users.

PowerDock 5 gives each tablet its own charging port and its own clear backrest. Each charging bay is roomy enough to accommodate your iPhone, iPod or iPad in their cases. An illuminated status light tells when PowerDock 5 is powered up and ready to charge.
The PowerDock 5 is available from Griffin's website for $100.

Article Link: Charge 5 iOS Devices At Once With Griffin's $100 PowerDock 5
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Skika
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
inb4 too expensive would buy for 50$
__________________
MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone
Skika is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:19 AM   #3
DotCom2
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I looked into this a while back and:
1. It's bring your own device cable and
2. It's 10 watt power where the iPad 4 comes with a 12 watt power adapter so it will charge slower on this strip.
DotCom2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:24 AM   #4
nutmac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
What am I missing here. A powered 5-port USB hub with plexiglass separators for $75 price premium?
nutmac is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:25 AM   #5
PlutoPrime
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
So what exactly makes this an "iOS" device charger? Couldn't I just plug in Android mini usb cables there? It doesn't even come with lightning cables..
PlutoPrime is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:34 AM   #6
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotCom2 View Post
I looked into this a while back and:
1. It's bring your own device cable and
2. It's 10 watt power where the iPad 4 comes with a 12 watt power adapter so it will charge slower on this strip.
For this price, we might at least expect the right wattage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
inb4 too expensive would buy for 50$
I don't know about the $50, but you're right! TOO EXPENSIVE, for a plastic cradle with 5 USB ports, that are underpowered for the latest iPad.
__________________
Due to my aversion to bragging and clichés, no words of wisdom to be found on this line.....
macs4nw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:35 AM   #7
George Zip
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
What am I missing here. A powered 5-port USB hub with plexiglass separators for $75 price premium?
True, but I've not come across an actual 5-port USB power station in any configuration. 4 ports, yeah.

Roll your own -- use a regular power strip ("horizontal" plugs work best) and a bunch of Apple power adapters (5, 10, & 12 watt). Not as pretty but gets the job done. Free, arguably, since one'll likely have multiple power adapters and there's always an extra power strip around. You could also get one of those newer strips that (finally) include a couple of lower-power USB ports on it.
George Zip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:39 AM   #8
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a
 
thefourthpope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: DelMarVa
This would be great if it was (somehow) actual dock connectors and you could just drop devices in *click* but all I'm seeing is some transparent props to hold things up.
__________________
Cool toys not listed
thefourthpope is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Oldschoolers
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Carolina
Ummm No thanks!!! $100 plus and additional $20 for each cable you don't have.
__________________
2012 Macbook Air Iphone5
Oldschoolers is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:12 PM   #10
foodog
macrumors 6502a
 
foodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoPrime View Post
So what exactly makes this an "iOS" device charger? Couldn't I just plug in Android mini usb cables there? It doesn't even come with lightning cables..
The advertising
__________________
][+ (48K Ram) to Mac Pro 2013 and many Apple computers between.
foodog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Kilamite
macrumors G3
 
Kilamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Hope that isn't more likely to cause this to happen.

Not a convenient design either - I like to see what my notifications are when it's charging - they should've made it circular.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2GHz i7 8GB 750GB Hybrid | Mac mini 2.3GHz i7 16GB 1TB Fusion | OS X 10.9.2
iPhone 5 64GB | Apple TV 3 1080p | iOS 7.1
Home Theatre Hackintosh i3 3.5GHz 4GB 3TB | OS X 10.9.2
Kilamite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:19 PM   #12
i486dx2-66
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthpope View Post
This would be great if it was (somehow) actual dock connectors and you could just drop devices in *click* but all I'm seeing is some transparent props to hold things up.
Agreed - You can see the cables tucked behind the devices in the photo. In real usage, this charging stand is going to look pretty messy with all of these stray cables hanging everywhere. A real dock with actual connectors would be far more elegant.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolers View Post
Ummm No thanks!!! $100 plus and additional $20 for each cable you don't have.
Even if you DO have the cables already, you're going to want to buy 5x much shorter ones for the reasons I mentioned above. So yep, agreed here too that the end cost is going to be much higher than the initial cost ($100).
i486dx2-66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:26 PM   #13
joejoejoe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
i.sound has been making these for years and they work great.

not sure if the griffin one is portable but the i.sound docks let me charge 4 devices while camping for example, and are cheaper...

why is it that only huge companies that have close relationships with apple get publicity for products that have been in the marketplace for a while now?

like tile, there have been gps trackers with apps that do exactly what tile does for a long time, but just because they have a pretty video with a pretty girl and turn to kickstarter instead of financeers they get publicity and the others don't?

sorry to vent, more curious than anything else.
joejoejoe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:32 PM   #14
09sroyal
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolers View Post
Ummm No thanks!!! $100 plus and additional $20 for each cable you don't have.
You would already have the cable that came with the device. And if you own 5 iDevices, I doubt that $100 is that much to you.
__________________
2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro|iPhone 4S 16GB Black|iPad 3rd gen 32GB Black|Apple TV 3rd gen|@09sroyal
09sroyal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:50 PM   #15
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
Hope that isn't more likely to cause this to happen.
Don't use it in the shower and you should be OK.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:13 PM   #16
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
What am I missing here. A powered 5-port USB hub with plexiglass separators for $75 price premium?
Um, really?

I do not read anywhere it is a USB hub, just a charging port.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotCom2 View Post
2. It's 10 watt power where the iPad 4 comes with a 12 watt power adapter so it will charge slower on this strip.
Specs say:
"10 watts (5 volts DC @ 2.1 amps) for each charging bay"
Should be 10.5 watts, or 11 with rounding.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09sroyal View Post
You would already have the cable that came with the device. And if you own 5 iDevices, I doubt that $100 is that much to you.
I own 5 iDevices, and $100 is more then I am willing to pay.
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:28 PM   #17
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816
 
BJMRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I had a Griffin ipod/iphone charger and multi-card reader all in one.
it broke within the year. that was a $50 device.

no thanks on this overpriced power block.
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:07 PM   #18
nutmac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Um, really?

I do not read anywhere it is a USB hub, just a charging port.[COLOR="#808080"]
Well, it's not a hub per say, since it cannot be connected to PC or Mac for USB sync. But a good powered USB hub can be used to charge iOS devices, such as D-Link's $25 7-port powered USB hub and Plugable's $20 4-port powered USB hub.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:07 PM   #19
wombat94
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
If anyone can show me a 5 port charger with 2.1 amps on EACH port, I'd love to see it.

The i.Sound 4-port charger that someone referred to before appears to have 2.1 amps TOTAL and their user manual specifically states that if an iPad is charged on the high-power port, none of the other ports can be used at that time.

Is this overpriced? Probably, but it does appear to fill a niche that is not currently being filled in the consumer iOS device space - single AC outlet to multiple high-power charging ports.

There are industrial/commercial solutions that can do this - but they are many times more expensive and/or begin at a higher number of ports.

Personally, I've been waiting for this to come along since it was announced in January. It has a great value for me in our home.

If you compare it to the cost of good quality 2.1 amp power adapters, it is still not that expensive as they generally cost at least $10 - 15 each. I do already have the original adapters, but this solution allows me to keep those where I'd rather - in my travel bag or on my night stand. This gives us a central charging station in the kitchen in a tidy package.


Would I like it to be cheaper? Sure, but I plan to pick one up as soon as I can.
wombat94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:01 PM   #20
Swytch
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
It doesn't take up much room, about the same as a single iPad.
really? it looks much bigger... Maybe the surface area on a table it takes up is the same surface area a ipad takes up if lying flat... but you could stack like 10 iPads before it was as tall as this thing. Additionally, an Ipad can be set on a table held upright without one of these, making it take up far less room that this charging dock...

and yes, what makes this so much more expensive than a standard powered dock? which you could easily build a stand on top of...
Swytch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:11 PM   #21
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
What exactly makes this overpriced thing an 'iOS only' product?
__________________
roadbloc is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:44 PM   #22
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09sroyal View Post
You would already have the cable that came with the device. And if you own 5 iDevices, I doubt that $100 is that much to you.
The cost of the charger is a joke and even people with a lot of money don't like to waste it.... One if the reasons they have it lol. You go buy it and support their silly priceing, seems most here so far won't so there should be plenty.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 05:02 PM   #23
technopimp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
For every person (like me) who thinks things like this are obscenely overpriced simply because they're Apple user-targeted, there's 2-3 more who "can't wait to get one", so it's a losing battle.

Actually, it's not a losing battle at all now that I think of it-the companies make money hand-over-fist, and the people who buy them think they're getting something awesome.

Just goes to show me I obviously need to start churning out i<things> on Kickstarter. It seems that in these cases, if you build it they definitely will come.
__________________
Yes I caved.
technopimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 05:39 PM   #24
kurzz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Yay more overpriced plastic simply because it's for Apple users. If this was made for Android, it would be what...$20?
__________________
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Ghandi
kurzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 06:22 PM   #25
fprat
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat94 View Post
If anyone can show me a 5 port charger with 2.1 amps on EACH port, I'd love to see it.

The i.Sound 4-port charger that someone referred to before appears to have 2.1 amps TOTAL and their user manual specifically states that if an iPad is charged on the high-power port, none of the other ports can be used at that time.

Is this overpriced? Probably, but it does appear to fill a niche that is not currently being filled in the consumer iOS device space - single AC outlet to multiple high-power charging ports.

There are industrial/commercial solutions that can do this - but they are many times more expensive and/or begin at a higher number of ports.

Personally, I've been waiting for this to come along since it was announced in January. It has a great value for me in our home.

If you compare it to the cost of good quality 2.1 amp power adapters, it is still not that expensive as they generally cost at least $10 - 15 each. I do already have the original adapters, but this solution allows me to keep those where I'd rather - in my travel bag or on my night stand. This gives us a central charging station in the kitchen in a tidy package.


Would I like it to be cheaper? Sure, but I plan to pick one up as soon as I can.
Don't you get yours free by working at Griffin?
fprat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC