Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft Launches Outlook Apps for Office 365 Business Subscribers

Microsoft today launched a set of native Outlook apps designed for Office 365 business subscribers who want to access their email on the iPad or the iPhone.

Based on the browser version of the Outlook Web App, OWA for iPhone and iPad offer standard access to email, calendars, and contacts along with "additional capabilities that are only possible through native integration of the app with mobile devices."

The apps, which are available only to customers with an Office 365 business account that includes the latest version of Exchange Online, offer a number of features like quick email organization options, shared calendars, and voice command support.
Quote:
Get work done faster with email
- Organize your email quickly with Conversation View, Mark as Junk, Flag, and Categories
- Quickly search or browse email in all folders including Outlook Favorites
Manage your schedule with ease
- Schedule meetings using attendee free/busy and room finder
- View shared calendars including delegate support
- Use your voice to look up a contact or bring up your schedule
Keep business data secure
- Remote wipe erases only your corporate data in OWA for iPhone and leaves your personal data on the device alone
- Separate passcode for OWA for iPhone provides an additional layer of security
OWA for the iPhone and the iPad are both available for free from the App Store.

-*OWA for iPhone [Direct Link]
-*OWA for iPad [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft Launches Outlook Apps for Office 365 Business Subscribers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:52 PM   #2
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Microsoft is a good friend for Apple to have.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:33 PM   #3
jc1350
macrumors 6502a

Baahh - I still have an original ipad and the OWA for iPad app requires a front facing camera. EMAIL shouldn't require any camera. It's email, not video conferencing like skype.
jc1350 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4
wsc9005
macrumors regular

anyone have managed to get the push notification to work on the iphone ?
wsc9005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:45 PM   #5
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Not going to "rent" ANY software, so I'm out on this one.
monkeybagel is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:56 PM   #6
BerlingerT
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to BerlingerT
It's nice to see Microsoft making more apps for iOS, though I would much prefer more non-web apps for the Office applications, like OneNote is. Office 365 looks great and all, but I would like apps I can use while offline.
BerlingerT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:58 PM   #7
mathcolo
macrumors 6502a

This is unfortunately a real let-down—the new apps are probably pretty helpful, but Microsoft is throwing standard customers who run Exchange on in-house servers under the bus
[Retired]- Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
mathcolo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:02 PM   #8
nutmac
macrumors 68020

This app is for Office 365 for Business ($60-180/year per user), not to be confused with Office 365 Home Premium ($99.99/year for up to 5 PCs/Macs).

If you ask me, Microsoft created too many tiers.
nutmac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:03 PM   #9
wsc9005
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlingerT View Post
It's nice to see Microsoft making more apps for iOS, though I would much prefer more non-web apps for the Office applications, like OneNote is. Office 365 looks great and all, but I would like apps I can use while offline.
The OWA works perfectly well while offline ! The only issue I have at the moment is that push notification doesn't functioning
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:03 PM   #10
jc1350
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlingerT View Post
I toyed with the iphone version and after a minute or 2, it displayed "this content is ready for offline use."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcolo View Post
This is unfortunately a real let-down—the new apps are probably pretty helpful, but Microsoft is throwing standard customers who run Exchange on in-house servers under the bus
MS's plan is to eliminate on-premises Exchange and will eventually offer it only as a hosted subscription. Eventually, you'll be on the bus rather than under it.
jc1350 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:04 PM   #11
wsc9005
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
This app is for Office 365 for Business ($60-180/year per user), not to be confused with Office 365 Home Premium ($99.99/year for up to 5 PCs/Macs).

It's also available to people who subscribed Exchange Online service for £2.60+VAT a month ... Not that expensive though ...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:07 PM   #12
sartis
macrumors member

Multiple accounts?

Does it support multiple accounts?
sartis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:09 PM   #13
jc1350
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsc9005 View Post
It's also available to people who subscribed Exchange Online service for £2.60+VAT a month ... Not that expensive though ...
I use is for my personal domain email and it is fairly cheap considering what I get for it - full exchange plus remote Powershell access to modify just about any setting for about $5.00US/month.
jc1350 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:12 PM   #14
wsc9005
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartis View Post
Does it support multiple accounts?
Multiple account ? I use my own domain for emails and I also have three outlook.com and one gmail accounts attached to it via pop3 protocol. It works like an email client.

Also this app is the only app I could find in iOS App Store that supports "Send As" functionality.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:22 PM   #15
sartis
macrumors member

??

Quote:
Multiple account ? I use my own domain for emails and I also have three outlook.com and one gmail accounts attached to it via pop3 protocol. It works like an email client.

Also this app is the only app I could find in iOS App Store that supports "Send As" functionality.
Well I don't see how to add another account to it....
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:23 PM   #16
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
For iOS... yes, it appears so. Office is free on Windows Phone. Might even be for Windows RT when they complete it.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:24 PM   #17
wsc9005
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well I don't see how to add another account to it....
Oh sorry , I miss understood you !

I added other accounts online, not through the app.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:25 PM   #18
WordMasterRice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I agree in an overall sense, but I don't see how you see that in this instance. In order for this to work with push notifications they need to have the server. Microsoft isn't going to build an iOS Push Notification server into Exchange with their certificate, so the only option is to offer it on hosted solutions.
WordMasterRice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:26 PM   #19
sartis
macrumors member

Quote:
Oh sorry , I miss understood you !

I added other accounts online, not through the app.
No problem, Trying to understand why it does not support multiple accounts??????
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:32 PM   #20
wsc9005
macrumors regular

Quote:
No problem, Trying to understand why it does not support multiple accounts??????
You can add all your email accounts through desktop browser's version of OWA if you just want to check emails in one place. The only problem with that is when you reply to those emails, the recipient will see the "behalf of ". Although you can enable "send as" permission to your accounts with the same domain name, that's a really handy feature for a mobile email client .
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:45 PM   #21
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1350 View Post
I toyed with the iphone version and after a minute or 2, it displayed "this content is ready for offline use."

MS's plan is to eliminate on-premises Exchange and will eventually offer it only as a hosted subscription. Eventually, you'll be on the bus rather than under it.
I would never allow them to host the mail in my company and I know others who feel the same way. If they do not meet the on-site market need, another company will step up and do it for them.
monkeybagel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 05:20 PM   #22
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
There's one subscription option for home users, and 3 for businesses. I fail to see how this is too many. Please explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Quote:
I would never allow them to host the mail in my company and I know others who feel the same way. If they do not meet the on-site market need, another company will step up and do it for them.
Apple allows them to host their content, so I doubt they are too worried that you won't.
theheadguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Some guy
macrumors member

Quote:
Baahh - I still have an original ipad and the OWA for iPad app requires a front facing camera. EMAIL shouldn't require any camera. It's email, not video conferencing like skype.
Microsoft probably made a front facing camera a requirement because they can't support the first gen. iPad.

Developers sometimes need to do this.
Some guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 05:51 PM   #24
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
There's one subscription option for home users, and 3 for businesses. I fail to see how this is too many. Please explain.
ZDNET: Microsoft delievers OWA

If you don't think the plan explanation just sounds painful, then nope, there are not too many tiers.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 06:17 PM   #25
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPice View Post
ZDNET: Microsoft delievers OWA If you don't think the plan explanation just sounds painful, then nope, there are not too many tiers.
Definitely painful the way it was explained there. However, it needs to be in the proper context of just how much you can get with it (including voicemail, etc.).

When I researched before commenting, I was looking at the following. It appeared a lot simpler than what you linked to. However, upon another look, it can appear confusing for a small business I suppose.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/co...102918419.aspx
theheadguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion