Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sovereign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
How to keep Safari from reopening tabs that were open when Safari was quit?

"Close windows when quitting an application" is checked in System Preferences.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
I’ve just seen an option for this yesterday. Now if I just knew where that was. Basically it was an option to close everything in case you quit a program. This would also apply to TextEdit for example, when you would leave a file open and quit (which you didn’t save), it wouldn’t show up again in case you re-opened TextEdit.

I’ll have a look and see where I saw this :)

TADA! Found it :) Go to System Preferences, then Appearance and there you should see an option that says something like “Close windows when quitting applications” (my Mac isn’t set to English so the translation may not be accurate). Check this box and it shouldn’t re-open open tabs.

This will, however, also apply for other applications. But you have another checkbox right above which, if you check it, will ask you if you would like to close those tabs/files/whatever, or not.

This is in the latest OSX Mountain Lion by the way :) Have fun with the new feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.