Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:50 PM   #1
landhawk
macrumors newbie

iMovie help - separate audio / video

Need some help with iMovie.... I have video from a gopro camera and audio from a separate recording device. Both the video and audio clips are about 1.5 hours long. I have no problem importing the video/audio and getting it synced. My issue is that I don't want to have the whole 1.5 hours, I only want to take selected clips from the 1.5 hours of video/audio (but I need the synced audio with the video clips)

My question is how do I or is it even possible to select certain sections of video with the appropriate synced audio clip to copy to another project? Or is it possible to somehow input the audio like video so that I can just select certain clips to match to the video clips?

I've tried exporting the whole 1.5 hours video/audio once it's synced, so I have one video file with the synced audio I could then re-import to use as the source, however it takes a LONG time (like 2-3 hours) to export 1.5 hours of HD video and would like to not have to do that extra step.... also sometimes my Mac crashes during the process..... any thoughts on the best way to do this?

Is this something that would be easier in another program, like final cut?
landhawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 05:07 PM   #2
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Same question. What version of iMovie are you using???????
Import footage.....then transfer all unto time line and edit sound and video. Make a compound clip and you should have your movie.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 09:51 PM   #3
landhawk
macrumors newbie

iMovie 11 9.0.8 and OS X 10.7.5

What is a compound clip? How do you make it compound? Would that allow me to use clips of the "compound" clip with the synced audio in other projects?

Thanks.
landhawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:49 AM   #4
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Sorry, i just read your post again properly. Video no audio?. Audio other device? What format of device is the audio?.
What is the video a dialogue or moving images, like travel etc..
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:06 AM   #5
imurdaddy
macrumors member

Posted a possible solution to the OP without fully reading the post...your last suggestion was one I was going to mention...the long render and re-import. You cannot make a compound clip in iMovie. You could download a free trial of FCP X...and make a compound clip as suggested in this thread...combine your synced audio/video and ability to make cuts within the bonded clips without screwing up the sync.

Last edited by imurdaddy; Jul 17, 2013 at 06:12 AM.
imurdaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video