Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Check 6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Within the past two weeks "mail" on two different Macs now fails to close and must be closed by using the function of "force close" The Mac Pro runs on Mountain Lion and the MBP on Lion.

In this same period no unknown mail has been received and I have run permissions repair on both machines. Looking for help thanks

Check 6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
no one has any suggestions? sort of re-install or shooting the machine

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
That also happens to me every few days. It did it with snow leopard and also mountain lion which I am using now. Also the disappearing pointer is still happening occasionally. 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sometimes Mail gets stuck at "Syncing". If this is happening to you, it could be caused by junk in your Mail SQLite database. To verify that this is what's going on, open the Activity Viewer in Mail next time you launch it, and watch it when you try to quit.

If this is indeed your problem, there's good news. You need to perform a vacuum command on Mail's main database - this clears up many Mail.app problems. Here's how to do it: (Note, link points to Google cache - the site appears to be down) Rebuild your database and speed up Mail.app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.