Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:04 AM   #1
koban4max
Banned

MacBook Pro

hey guys, i know there are lots of threads about macbook pro...but i feel like i need an another thread...sorry...anyhow...

I'm dropping 2k for a macbook pro.... but i was thinking about getting a mac pro....since the price might be at that range....

First of all...should i even wait for any refreshes for either?

Second, if i'm dropping at least 2k...should i get retina Rmbp?

third...or should i wait...?
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:08 AM   #2
maflynn

What are your expected needs? Not knowing how you're going to use it, makes it impossible to offer any advice.

Do you need a mobile solution, i.e., plan on taking it with you? If you're thinking of a Mac Pro why not include an iMac in the decision choice?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
I'm dropping 2k for a macbook pro.... but i was thinking about getting a mac pro....since the price might be at that range....
I wouldn't count on a new Mac Pro being in that price range, just a hunch.

As for retina or not, only you can decide whether you need it (and can justify the cost), but keep in mind a Mac Pro won't have that feature.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:31 AM   #4
designs216
macrumors 65816

To me, the retina premium is not worth it. You can pick up a refurb 2012 cMBP for around $1700 and upgrade it yourself later when you have the funds. The MBP is a capable desktop replacement for almost every use case and it can travel if necessary.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:22 PM   #5
koban4max
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
What are your expected needs? Not knowing how you're going to use it, makes it impossible to offer any advice.

Do you need a mobile solution, i.e., plan on taking it with you? If you're thinking of a Mac Pro why not include an iMac in the decision choice?
sorry, but to be specific...i would use it for heavy work with logic and adobe cs5 and homework....

i know that i need to upgrade memory..but i would need somewhat high end 15 inches...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
I wouldn't count on a new Mac Pro being in that price range, just a hunch.

As for retina or not, only you can decide whether you need it (and can justify the cost), but keep in mind a Mac Pro won't have that feature.
you are correct...but i meant to say 2k to 3k...sorry..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
To me, the retina premium is not worth it. You can pick up a refurb 2012 cMBP for around $1700 and upgrade it yourself later when you have the funds. The MBP is a capable desktop replacement for almost every use case and it can travel if necessary.
i mean i have 2011 mbp 15 inches with 8 gig rams...and i need to buy another one..for my lady..i installed her microsoft office for her use...
therefore i would need one for myself...

as you mentioned...could it replace desktop?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:42 PM   #6
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
sorry, but to be specific...i would use it for heavy work with logic and adobe cs5 and homework....

i know that i need to upgrade memory..but i would need somewhat high end 15 inches...

----------

you are correct...but i meant to say 2k to 3k...sorry..

----------

i mean i have 2011 mbp 15 inches with 8 gig rams...and i need to buy another one..for my lady..i installed her microsoft office for her use...
therefore i would need one for myself...

as you mentioned...could it replace desktop?
It certainly can. But do you want a laptop or a desktop? I agree with the other posters get a classic 2012 15 inch
appleisking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:54 PM   #7
koban4max
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisking View Post
It certainly can. But do you want a laptop or a desktop? I agree with the other posters get a classic 2012 15 inch
i wouldn't mind getting 2012...but then new one comes out...oh boy...
plus does it does it have 3.0 usb? i know it doesn't have cd drive...which i still need to use it.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:03 PM   #8
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
i wouldn't mind getting 2012...but then new one comes out...oh boy...
plus does it does it have 3.0 usb? i know it doesn't have cd drive...which i still need to use it.
Actually it does have a cd drive. I think.... At least the 13 inch one does yes I checked 15 inch still has the superdrive. The retina one doesn't. And yes usb 3.0 is on the 2012 model for both retina and non-retina. And nobody knows for sure but general speculation is Apple won't update the nonretina models as part of a plan to phase them out. However, I take that with a grain of salt since nobody really knows what Apple will do.
appleisking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:02 PM   #9
koban4max
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisking View Post
Actually it does have a cd drive. I think.... At least the 13 inch one does yes I checked 15 inch still has the superdrive. The retina one doesn't. And yes usb 3.0 is on the 2012 model for both retina and non-retina. And nobody knows for sure but general speculation is Apple won't update the nonretina models as part of a plan to phase them out. However, I take that with a grain of salt since nobody really knows what Apple will do.
i think u and others gave me a great info on macbook pro. I'll look into more detail about this new model...and if nothing..i'll go buy it.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 02:11 PM   #10
timeandspace
macrumors newbie

Quote:
hey guys, i know there are lots of threads about macbook pro...but i feel like i need an another thread...sorry...anyhow...

First of all...should i even wait for any refreshes for either?

Second, if i'm dropping at least 2k...should i get retina Rmbp?

third...or should i wait...?
Would you consider getting a refurbished MacBook Pro? They can be half the price starting at around $900
timeandspace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 06:25 PM   #11
koban4max
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeandspace View Post
Would you consider getting a refurbished MacBook Pro? They can be half the price starting at around $900
that's what i'm worry about.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice