Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Quick story short:

- There’s a game that I’m trying to make run, only runs on Lion however (I have ML)
- Decided to completely reinstall ML, redownloaded .dmg file of the game at the store I bought it from
- Reinstalled the game, worked fine on ML until a day after when it decided to stop working

Now I’m going to do a complete fresh install of Lion, where the game should work normally.

My question is… should I download the .dmg of the game again? I’m not sure why exactly it isn’t work (a year ago it worked perfectly fine on ML even though it wasn’t supported), so I thought there may be a limit on how often I can extract it or something.

It’s 9 GB so if possible I’d prefer to not have to download it again. I’ve installed it 3 times so far (well, installed and uninstalled again).

What do you think?

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Quick story short:

- There’s a game that I’m trying to make run, only runs on Lion however (I have ML)
- Decided to completely reinstall ML, redownloaded .dmg file of the game at the store I bought it from
- Reinstalled the game, worked fine on ML until a day after when it decided to stop working

Now I’m going to do a complete fresh install of Lion, where the game should work normally.

My question is… should I download the .dmg of the game again? I’m not sure why exactly it isn’t work (a year ago it worked perfectly fine on ML even though it wasn’t supported), so I thought there may be a limit on how often I can extract it or something.

It’s 9 GB so if possible I’d prefer to not have to download it again. I’ve installed it 3 times so far (well, installed and uninstalled again).

What do you think?

I am not aware that is a "feature" of the .DMG file format. I would guess the software may be able to alter it to disable it, however.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I dont think there is any limit on how many times you can open it. From my experience (not knowledge), to me it seems like .dmg files are just like .rar or .zip files in a way. You open them, and it opens a folder (or even "mounts") in the left hand column of finder (assuming your preferences has that section showing, its either hardrives or computers, not positive.)

Anyway, from inside that mount/folder is the actual, in your case, game file. Usually you just drag and drop that into your applications folder and voila.

But thats just my experience, I dont really know the details of .dmg. I did create my own password-protected dmg for... personal files...

But yeah, I dont think you have to redownload the game everytime, just backup the .dmg file

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
There is no option to control the number of times it can be mounted. OSX sees dmg's in a similar manner to how it sees flash drives or dvd's. You mount it, it shows up. There are options for password protection, filesystem types, and compression levels but that's about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.