Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook's Plan to Sell More iPhones in Apple Stores Could Be Tough Task

Tim Cook is reportedly trying to sell more iPhones through Apple Stores instead of via carrier partners -- but that could be an uphill task according to an analysis from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners.

In the U.S., Apple has roughly 250 retail stores, compared to more than 10,000 third-party retail outlets that sell the iPhone. In addition to that, Apple's retail stores are extremely busy and it remains to be seen if the company can dramatically ramp up its iPhone sales without hiring more staff or opening more locations.

Quote:
"We don't know, exactly, how Apple can realistically meet Cook's goals," CIRP co-founder Michael Levin told AllThingsD. "However one defines those goals, we can't see how their mostly jammed stores can handle more customers, sales associates and inventory."

[...]

As CIRP observes, when Apple debuts a new iPhone, its stores typically run at capacity -- canceling vacations, hiring part-time staff, etc. Pushing the percentage of all iPhones sold through Apple Stores from 20 percent to 50 percent would likely require similar efforts.
One issue for Apple is that many iPhone owners still see Apple Retail Stores as places to get service, not buy a phone. Some research shows 90% of first-time iPhone buyers purchase their phones at carrier retail stores.

In order to jumpstart iPhone sales during the company's important back-to-school season, it has, for the first time, included the iPhone on its list of devices that come with an App Store Gift Card when sold to students. Apple is also rumored to be launching a new in-store smartphone trade-in program.

Article Link: Tim Cook's Plan to Sell More iPhones in Apple Stores Could Be Tough Task
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
xNYMetsx
macrumors Demi-God

They assume the Verizon and AT&T stores are the place to go, but when they do go, the sales reps push them to Android.
xNYMetsx is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYMetsx View Post
They assume the Verizon and AT&T stores are the place to go, but when they do go, the sales reps push them to Android.
Have you ever considered why they push them to Android phones? What makes you think the sales rep are obligated to push a stale design? Because it's Apple? Not everyone froths at the mouth over the iPhone like so many people here.
theheadguy is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:10 PM   #4
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

Make more attractive offers and customers will come running! If your deal is the same as other stores then there is no point.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:11 PM   #5
newdeal
macrumors 68000

I went in to an Apple store to buy an iPhone (unlocked) without activating service of any sort and it literally took me 45 minutes. First I had to wait for someone to help me, then I had to wait for them to get someone to get the product, then I had to wait to get the product, then when I got the product they had to open it and activate it. They literally could have just handed me a phone and been done with it but yet it was instead the worst experience I have ever had in a store just due to the amount of time it took to do something so simple
newdeal is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:12 PM   #6
StuBeck
macrumors 6502

Making it easier to buy things in the Apple store would be a great first step. I understand the idea of wanting a consultant to decide what you want, but when I already know, its not easy to buy things there. They need to bring back cash registers so one can simply pick up a product and buy it. The last two times I've bought Mac's from them, I've had to hunt someone down after waiting for 15 minutes. Its a ridiculous process and why I haven't gone to an Apple store in a rather long time.
StuBeck is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:12 PM   #7
xNYMetsx
macrumors Demi-God

I think they should advertise their employees, they really are awesome at doing what they do.
xNYMetsx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:12 PM   #8
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

And according to these numbers the percentage of iPhones purchased at Apple stores is going down and down.

If the goal is making the iPhone a gateway drug for Apple Macs, iPads, etc., maybe there has to be another approach.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
Not to mention the iPhone has a really stale design. Maybe the 5S will be more exciting!
No design change needed for people who always want something new.

The current design is a timeless classic based on BRAUN design principles.

Plenty of choices for larger, plastic, different shape etc. out there.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:15 PM   #10
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

A big factor in that is Apple stores are few and far between. I would personally have to drive an hour to get to one, where as an AT&T store is 5 mins away.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:15 PM   #11
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Have you ever considered why they push them to Android phones? What makes you think the sales rep are obligated to push a stale design? Because it's Apple? Not everyone froths at the mouth over the iPhone like so many people here.
Idk about at&t, but many people have experiences where the verizon reps will literally sell them anything but iphones, and verizon's problem with too many unsold iphones certainly is a logical result of this paradigm.
appleisking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:15 PM   #12
xNYMetsx
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post

Plenty of choices for larger, plastic, different shape etc. out there.
Can't get iOS on any other phone. Honestly, I love my Nexus 4's hardware, just wish I could get iOS on it.
xNYMetsx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:16 PM   #13
InfernoShade
macrumors regular

Quote:
Dude, they push them to specific items not based on personal preference. It's all based on money. There are different deals made with manufacturers so they make different amounts of money off the sale. It's not because joe salesman likes something. So don't get all bent out of shape with your "frothing at the mouth".
InfernoShade is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:17 PM   #14
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYMetsx View Post
Can't get iOS on any other phone. Honestly, I love my Nexus 4's hardware, just wish I could get iOS on it.
Out of curiosity why? What about stock android isn't doing it for you? (Considering buying nexus 4 here).
appleisking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:17 PM   #15
driceman
macrumors regular

In my experience Apple Store employees are more informed about Apple products than the guys at Verizon or Best Buy, but I have to drive an hour out of my way to get to the nearest Apple Store. Best Buy and Verizon are ten minutes away. Idk, that could be a contributing factor Apple...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:18 PM   #16
kimble3
macrumors member

Trade-in

I think the thing that could make it happen is if they came out with the rumored trade-in program. Imagine if you could go into an Apple store and just swap out your old iPhone for a current generation iPhone. The customer wins because they get the latest phone possibly even before their subsidized phone is eligible for upgrade. Apple wins because they can refurbish the phone and resell it in other countries fulfilling the role of a low-cost phone that everybody wants. Everybody wins.
kimble3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:18 PM   #17
xNYMetsx
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoShade View Post
Dude, they push them to specific items not based on personal preference. It's all based on money. There are different deals made with manufacturers so they make different amounts of money off the sale. It's not because joe salesman likes something. So don't get all bent out of shape with your "frothing at the mouth".
Either way, Tim needs to make the Apple store appeal as a place to buy iPhones, not just service them.
xNYMetsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:18 PM   #18
Rocketman
macrumors 603

I have a specific idea to address the capacity issue and do not have the ear of Apple.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:20 PM   #19
tasset
macrumors 6502

It's an admirable goal but there is nothing they can do so long as the iPhone is an expensive product with an actual price partially obscured by a crack-addiction subsidy model, dependent on carrier partners whose nature is to perplex customers with complex rate plans and fees rather than accept being a utility company. If Apple wants to truly change the market it has to sell the iPhone like EVERY SINGLE OTHER product it makes where the retail price is the same no matter where you buy it. And that requires selling the mythical 'cheap' iPhone unlocked and unsubsidized for starts.
tasset is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:21 PM   #20
InfernoShade
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Make more attractive offers and customers will come running! If your deal is the same as other stores then there is no point.
Think. It's all business deals. If Apple undercuts your price, and steals your sales, why would you ever make a deal with them again. When they make these deals companies like AT&T make sure Apple can't undercut them. Otherwise we'd see Apple selling the phone cheaper for a long time now, and they'd have the highest place on that chart. So Apple has to come up with other ways to get sales.
InfernoShade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:21 PM   #21
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

But why, what's the point? Apple stores are generally only ventured upon for specific requests such as repairs, and it's working for them well.
appleisking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:21 PM   #22
mbh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Have you ever considered why they push them to Android phones?
Because they get spiffs from the other companies?
mbh is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:23 PM   #23
rtomyj
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
I went in to an Apple store to buy an iPhone (unlocked) without activating service of any sort and it literally took me 45 minutes. First I had to wait for someone to help me, then I had to wait for them to get someone to get the product, then I had to wait to get the product, then when I got the product they had to open it and activate it. They literally could have just handed me a phone and been done with it but yet it was instead the worst experience I have ever had in a store just due to the amount of time it took to do something so simple
Did you let them know you were in a hurry and that you wanted to open and unlock it yourself or did they not read your thoughts like you wanted them to?
rtomyj is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:23 PM   #24
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Definitely a tough task considering carrier stores are a dime a dozen. Apple retail stores are in strategic locations and few and far between in many areas around the world
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:23 PM   #25
realeric
macrumors 6502a

What is the benefit from buying iphone in Apple store? Does they give even a candy? Nothing. Then, why should I buy it there?
realeric is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion