Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tim Cook is reportedly trying to sell more iPhones through Apple Stores instead of via carrier partners -- but that could be an uphill task according to an analysis from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners.

In the U.S., Apple has roughly 250 retail stores, compared to more than 10,000 third-party retail outlets that sell the iPhone. In addition to that, Apple's retail stores are extremely busy and it remains to be seen if the company can dramatically ramp up its iPhone sales without hiring more staff or opening more locations.

NewImage6.png
"We don't know, exactly, how Apple can realistically meet Cook's goals," CIRP co-founder Michael Levin told AllThingsD. "However one defines those goals, we can't see how their mostly jammed stores can handle more customers, sales associates and inventory."

[...]

As CIRP observes, when Apple debuts a new iPhone, its stores typically run at capacity -- canceling vacations, hiring part-time staff, etc. Pushing the percentage of all iPhones sold through Apple Stores from 20 percent to 50 percent would likely require similar efforts.
One issue for Apple is that many iPhone owners still see Apple Retail Stores as places to get service, not buy a phone. Some research shows 90% of first-time iPhone buyers purchase their phones at carrier retail stores.

In order to jumpstart iPhone sales during the company's important back-to-school season, it has, for the first time, included the iPhone on its list of devices that come with an App Store Gift Card when sold to students. Apple is also rumored to be launching a new in-store smartphone trade-in program.

Article Link: Tim Cook's Plan to Sell More iPhones in Apple Stores Could Be Tough Task

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
They assume the Verizon and AT&T stores are the place to go, but when they do go, the sales reps push them to Android.
Have you ever considered why they push them to Android phones? What makes you think the sales rep are obligated to push a stale design? Because it's Apple? Not everyone froths at the mouth over the iPhone like so many people here.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Make more attractive offers and customers will come running! If your deal is the same as other stores then there is no point.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I went in to an Apple store to buy an iPhone (unlocked) without activating service of any sort and it literally took me 45 minutes. First I had to wait for someone to help me, then I had to wait for them to get someone to get the product, then I had to wait to get the product, then when I got the product they had to open it and activate it. They literally could have just handed me a phone and been done with it but yet it was instead the worst experience I have ever had in a store just due to the amount of time it took to do something so simple

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Making it easier to buy things in the Apple store would be a great first step. I understand the idea of wanting a consultant to decide what you want, but when I already know, its not easy to buy things there. They need to bring back cash registers so one can simply pick up a product and buy it. The last two times I've bought Mac's from them, I've had to hunt someone down after waiting for 15 minutes. Its a ridiculous process and why I haven't gone to an Apple store in a rather long time.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
And according to these numbers the percentage of iPhones purchased at Apple stores is going down and down.

If the goal is making the iPhone a gateway drug for Apple Macs, iPads, etc., maybe there has to be another approach.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Not to mention the iPhone has a really stale design. Maybe the 5S will be more exciting!

No design change needed for people who always want something new.

The current design is a timeless classic based on BRAUN design principles.

Plenty of choices for larger, plastic, different shape etc. out there.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
A big factor in that is Apple stores are few and far between. I would personally have to drive an hour to get to one, where as an AT&T store is 5 mins away.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Have you ever considered why they push them to Android phones? What makes you think the sales rep are obligated to push a stale design? Because it's Apple? Not everyone froths at the mouth over the iPhone like so many people here.

Idk about at&t, but many people have experiences where the verizon reps will literally sell them anything but iphones, and verizon's problem with too many unsold iphones certainly is a logical result of this paradigm.

InfernoShade

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
New Jersey, USA

Dude, they push them to specific items not based on personal preference. It's all based on money. There are different deals made with manufacturers so they make different amounts of money off the sale. It's not because joe salesman likes something. So don't get all bent out of shape with your "frothing at the mouth".

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
In my experience Apple Store employees are more informed about Apple products than the guys at Verizon or Best Buy, but I have to drive an hour out of my way to get to the nearest Apple Store. Best Buy and Verizon are ten minutes away. Idk, that could be a contributing factor Apple... :rolleyes:

kimble3

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Trade-in

I think the thing that could make it happen is if they came out with the rumored trade-in program. Imagine if you could go into an Apple store and just swap out your old iPhone for a current generation iPhone. The customer wins because they get the latest phone possibly even before their subsidized phone is eligible for upgrade. Apple wins because they can refurbish the phone and resell it in other countries fulfilling the role of a low-cost phone that everybody wants. Everybody wins.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
It's an admirable goal but there is nothing they can do so long as the iPhone is an expensive product with an actual price partially obscured by a crack-addiction subsidy model, dependent on carrier partners whose nature is to perplex customers with complex rate plans and fees rather than accept being a utility company. If Apple wants to truly change the market it has to sell the iPhone like EVERY SINGLE OTHER product it makes where the retail price is the same no matter where you buy it. And that requires selling the mythical 'cheap' iPhone unlocked and unsubsidized for starts.

InfernoShade

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Make more attractive offers and customers will come running! If your deal is the same as other stores then there is no point.

Think. It's all business deals. If Apple undercuts your price, and steals your sales, why would you ever make a deal with them again. When they make these deals companies like AT&T make sure Apple can't undercut them. Otherwise we'd see Apple selling the phone cheaper for a long time now, and they'd have the highest place on that chart. So Apple has to come up with other ways to get sales.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
But why, what's the point? Apple stores are generally only ventured upon for specific requests such as repairs, and it's working for them well.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I went in to an Apple store to buy an iPhone (unlocked) without activating service of any sort and it literally took me 45 minutes. First I had to wait for someone to help me, then I had to wait for them to get someone to get the product, then I had to wait to get the product, then when I got the product they had to open it and activate it. They literally could have just handed me a phone and been done with it but yet it was instead the worst experience I have ever had in a store just due to the amount of time it took to do something so simple
Did you let them know you were in a hurry and that you wanted to open and unlock it yourself or did they not read your thoughts like you wanted them to?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Definitely a tough task considering carrier stores are a dime a dozen. Apple retail stores are in strategic locations and few and far between in many areas around the world

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
What is the benefit from buying iphone in Apple store? Does they give even a candy? Nothing. Then, why should I buy it there? :p

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
If they set up an international carrier with no roaming charges and multiple 4G standards support, they could do it..

/dearsanta

InfernoShade

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
New Jersey, USA
No design change needed for people who always want something new.

The current design is a timeless classic based on BRAUN design principles.

Plenty of choices for larger, plastic, different shape etc. out there.

Not to mention that many of us think Android has basically looked the same since the beginning, so that must be stale too, no? It's so silly to even discuss this as it's subjective. Hello, both OS(s) work the same way and look very similar.

I'd suggest points for originality go to MS with it's Metro design. That's the freshest.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
The only reason I don't buy from an Apple store is there are none near me....some love for the eastern shore of MD?

Macgeek74

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
Wow

Some of you are really unreasonable. Complaining about having to wait for 45 minutes to check out. Heck some complained about waiting for 15 minutes. I feel bad for servers who wait on you guys. Im sorry but you need to learn to be patient. Going to the carriers takes a long time as well. People are there to buy things, not just you. The world does not revolve around you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.