Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snoopy531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
I am new to MySql and I would please like to know how can I download mysql program properly and start coding? This was my procedure: I went to http://www.mysql.com and I downloaded this version: -MySQL Database 5.6.12 DMG for Mac OS X 10.6 x86 (64bit) and after that: -mysql-advanced-5.6.12-osx10.6-x86_64.pkg in Macintosh HD path and I received a message that installation was succesful. If I go to system preference, I can see mysql logo and I can Start MySQL Server by pressing a button and when I press it nothing special happens other that a message which tells me that MySQL Server Instance is running. However, I don't know how to use this and how I can start coding.My download folder was Macintosh HD but I can't see MySQL application there(I thought that I would see an SQL app like for example MS Excel app where I can click, open and start coding, but I can't find it nowhere even after the download) .... I would please like to know if that is normal and how to solve that if it's not or even if I need to download something else also? Thank you.

Last edited:

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
You can fire up the client by typing 'mysql' in Terminal. But what you are probably looking for is something like MySQL Workbench, which is a GUI front end to your databases.

dickkaas

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
Snoopy and others cab anyone help?

I did the same as snoopy. downloaded the dmg file from mysql site and installed it.
It said ok when ready
When I tried to start the mysql daemon (in system preferences, others and selected MySQL. When push the button Start MySQL server the button was blue for some time but the message was 'MySQL server instance was stopped'
Also when I entered in the terminal window mysql the message 'cannot connect to socket was responded

What I have:
- Macbook air 1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (memory 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3)
- Systeemversie: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernelversie: Darwin 10.8.0
- MySQL version mysql-5.6.16-osx10.6-x86
[installed for all users]

Can anyone help me with this? (I only want to use mySQL from within php program running under Mac Apache and I do not know very much about MySQL source

Dick

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Maybe look at MAMP

That installer gives you a msql daemon -- a headless server which you need to access programmatically. You might want to try something like MAMP which is a self-contained web server environment with Apache, MySQL, Perl, Python, PHP, etc. It includes tools such as phpMyAdmin and now Sequel Pro for direct GUI manipulation of databases. They have both a free and a paid version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.