Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1
MBX
macrumors 65816

iOS 7 Folders

Who's with me?: The new "Folders" in iOS 7 suck compared to iOS 6.

IMO, instead of waiting so long for it to zoom into a folder it should be a swift expansion of the folder in the UI itself like in iOS 6 (but sans the linen texture) and with smaller icons not full sized. Also it should be a continuos scrolling with "infinite folder" feature, not having to swipe sideways for additional icons.

Feel like it's a step backwards now.

But oh well, I'm sure there'll be a jailbreak tweak for that.
MBX is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2
ZombiePete
macrumors 65816

I like it.
ZombiePete is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:52 PM   #3
aimee.elizabeth
macrumors 6502

I like it too
aimee.elizabeth is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:56 PM   #4
costica1234
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBX View Post

IMO, instead of waiting so long for it to zoom into a folder it should be a swift expansion of the folder in the UI itself like in iOS 6 (but sans the linen texture) and with smaller icons not full sized. Also it should be a continuos scrolling with "infinite folder" feature, not having to swipe sideways for additional icons.

Add me to the list.

Yes, folders look horrible and seem less practical given that you only see 3 x 3 apps at a time. At least on iPad (and even on iPhone & iPod touch) it would be great if we can see at a glance 4 x 4 apps.

Also, I hate the transparency they adopted for folders. That doesn't convey the meaning of a folder IMO. A sort of a fine frame would have been great. But let's hope Apple will change them ASAP.
costica1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 07:13 PM   #5
hamiltonDSi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by costica1234 View Post
Add me to the list.
And me.
hamiltonDSi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 07:26 PM   #6
cleo1
macrumors regular

Not with you. Folders in iOS 7 are the most beautiful example of the groundbreaking dynamic UI—as they flawlessly zoom in from the actual content shown on the home screen, there are no metaphors, no BS. The animation is not for flair, it is functional in conveying the most logical possible transition. iOS 6 folders are full of broken metaphors: some icons shown on home screen, some hidden? Even more hidden with 5" screen? And positions of icons which shift depending on whether 9, 12, 16 are being displayed? What is the point of dynamic icons with content so far removed from what is being represented? My only gripe is how the background stretches during the zoom sequence. Same thing with the parallax wallpapers (different topic/thread).
cleo1 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 07:43 PM   #7
ra4oasis
macrumors regular

I love the new folders. In iOS 6, you saw 9 apps, until you opened it, then you saw as many as 12? Useful, I guess, but it didn't make sense. And you said having them grouped by transparency doesn't make sense, however neither does touching a folder and having the screen split open with linen background there. I like the new look, it at least the color of the transparency based on the background of your choice, rather than always being linen.
ra4oasis is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra4oasis View Post
I love the new folders. In iOS 6, you saw 9 apps, until you opened it, then you saw as many as 12? Useful, I guess, but it didn't make sense.
If we have to choose between useful and make sense, I prefer useful.

I'm with the OP, I'd rather have 12 icons in my folder. Actually, with the iPhone 5 + infinidock (jailbreak tweak), I can have 20 icons in my folder without swiping or scrolling. I wish Apple had gone in that direction.
Night Spring is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:38 PM   #9
martinocando
macrumors regular

I don't have so many apps that I need more than 9 apps per folder, but I understand it might be a drawback. Having said that, I truly love the new transparency, and how the whole interface changes when you change the background. Is like infinite themes. Love it!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:48 PM   #10
nikicampos
macrumors 6502a

No, iOS 7 folders are beautiful, I really love the frosted glass.

And again, OP, do you know this is a beta? did you notice that the speed of the transitions from beta 1 to beta 3 have all speed up? and from here on, we will probably see minor changes visually and everything else will be focus on speed, stability (fixing bugs) and battery.
nikicampos is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:01 PM   #11
ravenvii
macrumors 604

I, for one, am not with you. I love the new folders.

I do concede, however, that it really ought to be 4x4 rather than 3x3.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:29 PM   #12
mcdj
macrumors 604

I would prefer more icons. And I really hope that whatever color averaging algorithm they use to determine the folder background color gets sorted out...I seem to only get a nasty tan background, or green, or light blue. Even with a totally neutral grey background, the folders are blue.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:55 PM   #13
betabeta
macrumors 6502

Some users want more apps visible at once, many will never need more than 9, but again how hard is it to have settings called folder settings?

Folder settings:
No animation, instant view on or off
12 icons on or off
Folder background color tint

Might be nice to be able to custom tint your folders, or none, sometimes depending on the wallpaper they look like crap, I would like no color.

But we are back to giving people options, something Apple has in the past not done very much of.

So we have jailbreaking I guess, but Apple could eliminate the need with just a power users setting panel, something I'm sure 90% of people would not even look at, heck I know people who don't even change the brightness level.
betabeta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:19 AM   #14
The Flying Kite
macrumors regular

Why not have 4 rows of 3 apps? Just extend the folder square down enough for another row of icons, keep the folder title where it is, and then there's 12 apps per page in a folder. This would also keep it so that the 9 apps shown in the folder preview before you open the folder are the same first 9 apps in the folder. This would definitely fit on the iPhone 5, but maybe not on the iPhone 4S and below.
The Flying Kite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:23 AM   #15
bobbysmith
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
Not with you. Folders in iOS 7 are the most beautiful example of the groundbreaking dynamic UI—as they flawlessly zoom in from the actual content shown on the home screen, there are no metaphors, no BS. The animation is not for flair, it is functional in conveying the most logical possible transition.
It's pretty, but why is it logical that the folder icon zooms into a giant version of itself when no other icon does that? It doesn't translate to anything in the real world either. A real folder doesn't work this way, and the expectation when clicking a button is not that the button becomes bigger and interactive, it's that initiates some action.

It's a glaring example of form over function, where 3/4 of the screen real estate is wasted and usability suffers just for the sake of an animation that provides nothing of value. There is a reason why this "groundbreaking dynamic UI" isn't employed by anyone else.

Also, the seamless zooming in transition is ruined by the folder title changing it's position. Why isn't it below the folder when it's zoomed in?
bobbysmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:50 AM   #16
Gogurt48
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
Also, the seamless zooming in transition is ruined by the folder title changing it's position. Why isn't it below the folder when it's zoomed in?
I noticed that in beta 1 and reported it to Apple as a UI bug. Hopefully they'll fix it.
Gogurt48 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:52 AM   #17
Sirious
macrumors 6502

I really prefer to the iOS 6 one now that I'm used to them.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:03 AM   #18
8a22a
macrumors 6502a

I'd quite like it if it remembered the last page of the folder that you used, and continued showing that when closed.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:02 AM   #19
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBX View Post

I couldn't agree more!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:41 AM   #20
Donz0r
macrumors 6502a

I love the new folders. Yes you can only see 9 on each screen, but it's as if you're actually zooming in on the icon itself and paging inside of it. It makes so much 'sense', and just feels right.
Donz0r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:43 AM   #21
Gogurt48
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donz0r View Post
I love the new folders. Yes you can only see 9 on each screen, but it's as if you're actually zooming in on the icon itself and paging inside of it. It makes so much 'sense', and just feels right.
This is exactly how I feel, too. The new folders and animations are some of my favorite parts of iOS 7.
Gogurt48 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:04 AM   #22
Armen
macrumors 68030

I really dislike the 3X3 Grid. they should have stuck to 4X4.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:05 AM   #23
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

The only thing I don't like is the 3x3 grid layout.

I miss the 4x4 much better
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 08:14 AM   #24
Oz.
macrumors regular

I have to agree iOS 7 folders suck hard!
Oz. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:58 PM   #25
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz. View Post
I have to agree iOS 7 folders suck hard!
No, they don't.

They are coherent, inclusive, beautiful, efficient, clear and simple.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7