Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several years ago, the popular desktop media player VLC was released for iPhone and iPad on the App Store. However, the app was eventually removed from the store over copyright issues with the GPL license.

Now, VLC is back on iOS [App Store Link] with a complete rewrite including AirPlay support, multiple ways to load files into the video app, realtime video filters, playback speed manipulation, subtitles and more.

VLC for iOS is still rolling out to international App Stores, beginning in Australia and New Zealand and arriving in the U.S. this evening.

vlcipad.jpg
Today, it's my pleasure to announce that VLC for iOS is back on the App Store. It's available free of charge in any country, requires iOS 5.1 or later and runs on any iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

This is more than an upgrade of the initial version: it's a full re-write. From the ground-up. Relying on the power of MobileVLCKit and its underlying libvlc, we started with modern video and audio output modules offering faster drawing, full support for 10bit H264 encodings, retina displays and lower latency.
Some of the major features include:

Wi-Fi Upload - Allows users to upload files directly to the iOS version of VLC through a web browser on the PC or Mac.
Dropbox Integration - Play media directly from Dropbox or download it for offline playback.
Download from Web - Download files from any web server for offline playback
Network Streams - Play any network streams support by VLC media player for desktop operating systems
3rd-Party App Integration - Any app with a 'share' dialog can use VLC for iOS for media playback
Video Filters - Video playback can be modified for brightness, contrast, hue, saturation or gamma in real time.

To avoid further copyright issues, VLC for iOS is fully open-source and the video playback and library kits are available for integration by other developers. An SDK will be released later this summer.

VLC has already launched on the Australian and New Zealand App Stores and will be launching on others throughout the day and evening. It should be available in the U.S. at 11PM Eastern time. [App Store Direct Link]

Article Link: VLC For iPhone and iPad Returns With Wi-Fi Upload, Dropbox Sync and More

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Quick! Download it before it goes away!
(Oh, not available yet...)

Last edited:

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I guess Rémi Denis-Courmont finally concedes that their Nokia phones were a flop.

(He is the person who requested the takedown of the original app, and was found to be a Nokia employee)

Last edited:

grblade

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Wow, I've had VLC installed since it came out and had no idea it was ever taken out of the App Store!

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
I would definitely recommend grabbing it just in case. However, I've been reading the progress on it and it does appear that the GNU GPL concerns have been satisfied this time around....not to mention quite a large improvement in many other areas!

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Will this allow me to play other video formats besides MP4? Can I play my .avi files through this VLC app? If so, how would I get those files onto my iPad since I won't be able to do so through iTunes.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Will this allow me to play other video formats besides MP4? Can I play my .avi files through this VLC app? If so, how would I get those files onto my iPad since I won't be able to do so through iTunes.

"Some of the major features include:

Wi-Fi Upload - Allows users to upload files directly to the iOS version of VLC through a web browser on the PC or Mac.
Dropbox Integration - Play media directly from Dropbox or download it for offline playback.
Download from Web - Download files from any web server for offline playback"

And you will probably also be able to upload your video files (yes, also avis) via iTunes if you click on the "Apps" card when your iPad is plugged in - there is an option to manually upload files from hard disk to specific apps which allow this.

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010

Of course you can do it through iTunes

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Heres hoping it includes audio codecs ... I'm currently on good player which is IMMENSLY useful for transferring any sort of file to and from iPad or iPhone
.also plays 1080 and 720 ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.