Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Habbfreaky
macrumors newbie

Broken screen iPod Touch 4, but not physical

Hi there,

Some time ago a friend of mines screen of his iPod Touch 4G stopped working.
It showed a lot of dead/stuck pixels in a group. Moreover, the rest of the screen remained totally white. Now, those dead pixels have disappeared and sometimes small grey lines form and go away.
When viewed upon from a very flat angle, the UI is visible and responds to touch. The device is controllable, but you cannot see what you do, because the screen is totally white.

Rebooting/restarting several times over the past few weeks haven't resolved anything.

Does anyone know what could cause this? It isn't as simple as the screen that is broken, since you can view the UI very faintly.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, the screen isn't physically broken. The glass isn't shattered or teared.

Last edited by Habbfreaky; Jul 18, 2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added info about device.
Habbfreaky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:35 PM   #2
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

connect it to iTunes and restore. but set up as new, not from backup. see if that helps.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Habbfreaky
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
connect it to iTunes and restore. but set up as new, not from backup. see if that helps.
Would that resolve the issue of the screen being totally whitened out? I don't know if that is a hardware problem of the screen, or the video card for the screen.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:34 PM   #4
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbfreaky View Post
Would that resolve the issue of the screen being totally whitened out? I don't know if that is a hardware problem of the screen, or the video card for the screen.
Well it probably is hardware, but you can try to restore it before giving up on it. Was it ever exposed to water?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Habbfreaky
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
Well it probably is hardware, but you can try to restore it before giving up on it. Was it ever exposed to water?
After restoring it, the screen still disfunctions. I noticed the backlighting does change by the ambient light sensor (that was even before restoring). After restoring, nothing has changed. The screen is slightly visible but I'm not able to set it up or anything.

Then it must be hardware, I guess. Would changing the whole screen be an option or would the problem be the video chip? If that's so, the money of replacing the screen would go to waste.

Thanks for your help and insight, it's unfortunate it didn't work
Old Jul 20, 2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I would really just get a replacement one or upgrade to the 5th generation. Used ones are like $80-100 on eBay. The screen would cost you $25, but you have to open it up from the front since there's no screws, and you could do even more damage to it and end up wasting money anyway.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Habbfreaky
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I would really just get a replacement one or upgrade to the 5th generation. Used ones are like $80-100 on eBay. The screen would cost you $25, but you have to open it up from the front since there's no screws, and you could do even more damage to it and end up wasting money anyway.
Thanks for your overview, he is upgrading to a 5th gen

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Tags
4th, broken, ipod, screen, white