Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aixporter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
So.. I was watching an episode on TV with the series hosted by Morgan Freeman on science and realized that a "quantum" macbook pro could come to us by Apple as soon as 2030 when die shrink has gone to 1 NM...

Sure hope I can live until then to see it :D

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
So.. I was watching an episode on TV with the series hosted by Morgan Freeman on science and realized that a "quantum" macbook pro could come to us by Apple as soon as 2030 when die shrink has gone to 1 NM...

Sure hope I can live until then to see it :D

Haha I think 2030 is probably a little optimistic, just based on how these new technologies go, but it would be awesome to see quantum computing go consumer tech.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
It's going to be an interesting couple of decades. The intel roadmap has 5nm chips by 2020 (not that far off!) You can only go so small with silicon, after that who knows what we will be using.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Hmm I don't know. Quantum computing isn't faster for common, classical computing usage; it's only faster for specific tasks that require large amounts of parallelism (e.g., factoring large numbers—useful for cryptography).

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Hmm I don't know. Quantum computing isn't faster for common, classical computing usage; it's only faster for specific tasks that require large amounts of parallelism (e.g., factoring large numbers—useful for cryptography).

Not faster yet. Wait till they perfect communication by quantum entanglement!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.