Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therationalist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Finally got tired of ios and having played with ios 7 beta, I wanted a change.

Got a HTC one in Black. Sexist phone ever made IMO. I am 100% keeping it.

Now I have used android before but there are a few quirks that i need some help with.

would really appreciate it if someone could guide me:

- is there a way to go to google voice search str8 from the lockscreen? so I can use it like siri.

- whats the voice command for setting a timer? it keeps setting an alarm and thats annoying as hell. I used the timer 5-7 times a day so i really would like to know this

Thanks in advance

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
1) yes. If you are on 4.1.2 you should be able to hold home button to launch Googe now on lock screen.

If your on 4.2.2 and you have the new menu layout you can swipe up from home button on lock screen to launch google now.

2) 'remind me' 'thing you want to be reminded about' 'at time you want reminded'.....

Or 'set timer' 'at time you want it' for alarm....

Enjoy :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
2) 'remind me' 'thing you want to be reminded about' 'at time you want reminded'.....

Or 'set timer' 'at time you want it' for alarm....

There's no timer, as in "Remind me to pick up the laundry 20 minutes from now"? You know, when you want to do something x minutes from now, and don't want to bother calculating what time that would be?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Worked for me

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374509921994.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374509921994.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 100

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Worked for me

That's neat, but not quite the same as a count down timer. Thinking about it, what I like about a timer is a that I can set it, then glance at it to see how much time is left. So I set a timer to get my laundry, and next time I check the timer, it says I have five minutes left before the laundry is done.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ If you say 'countdown timer 20 minutes' it basically sets an alarm for 20 minutes time. :) Not exactly same thing, but alternatively just use the count down timer in clock itself :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
^ If you say 'countdown timer 20 minutes' it basically sets an alarm for 20 minutes time. :) Not exactly same thing, but alternatively just use the count down timer in clock itself :)

Ok, well, the original question was, is there a verbal command to set the countdown timer (which I guess is in the clock) instead of setting an alarm.

In iOS, you can tell Siri to "set timer 10 minutes" and it starts the countdown timer in the clock app.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ok, well, the original question was, is there a verbal command to set the countdown timer (which I guess is in the clock) instead of setting an alarm.

In iOS, you can tell Siri to "set timer 10 minutes" and it starts the countdown timer in the clock app.

Sorry none that I've been able to initiate verbally :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.