Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Best Buy Discounts 13-inch MacBook Pros by $200 for Back-to-School Promotion




As noted by AllThingsD, Best Buy has discounted two of its most popular 13-inch MacBooks by $200.

The company's 13-inch MacBook Pro with a 500GB hard drive and 4GB of memory is priced at $1,000, down from $1,200, and the 13-inch MacBook Pro with a 750GB hard drive and 8GB of memory, which was $1,500, is now available for $1,300.

Students can get an additional $100 discount by registering on the Best Buy Student Deals website with an .edu email address. The promotion, which kicked off today, will last until July 27.

Article Link: Best Buy Discounts 13-inch MacBook Pros by $200 for Back-to-School Promotion
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Klae17
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Too bad it's last year's tech.
Klae17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:19 PM   #3
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I like Apple's deal better. $200 off for college students and you get a $100 apple gift card.
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:20 PM   #4
JNanny
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
not for high school students
JNanny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Note for Moderators

Offer is till August 17
Hungry&Foolish is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:56 PM   #6
sectime
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post
Too bad it's last year's tech.
Why save money if it is on dad's credit card right?
It's so last year
sectime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:03 PM   #7
scbond
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nottingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post
Too bad it's last year's tech.
Still future-proof though.
scbond is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:03 PM   #8
GRuizMD
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
I like Apple's deal better. $200 off for college students and you get a $100 apple gift card.
Thanks. Please elaborate, On the Mac online store, the educational discount on the entry 11" Macbook Air is $50 (From $999 to $949) with this promotion I will get an additional $100 on a card.

Where does your $200 off college students come from?
GRuizMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Hrududu
macrumors 68000
 
Hrududu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wichita KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbond View Post
Still future-proof though.
Nothing with apple is future proof.
__________________
Quad 2.5 G5, MBP 2.6 17", DP 2.0 G5, DP 1.42 MDD, 17” PowerBook 1.67, 12" PowerBook 1.5, TiBooks 867 & 667, iMac G3 500, Cubes 500 & 450, B&W G3 450 & 350, iBook 300's & 366, Beige G3 350, PDQ G3 233
Hrududu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816
 
Aluminum213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbond View Post
Still future-proof though.
First gen retina pros barely kept pace with the resolution


Lol @ future proof
__________________

iPad Air 2 | Silver | 64GB
iPhone 6 Plus | Silver | 64GB
2012 iMac 27" | i7 | 3.4Ghz | Fusion | 32GB RAM | 680MX
Aluminum213 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:28 PM   #11
appleisking
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
First gen retina pros barely kept pace with the resolution


Lol @ future proof
Barely kept pace with resolutions? Who's offering as much as they are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrududu View Post
Nothing with apple is future proof.
Then why are people able to use their macbooks for like 6 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
I like Apple's deal better. $200 off for college students and you get a $100 apple gift card.
Nope think about it. Even if you were right, which you are not, best buy gives a 300 dollar, better than the gift card option. CMBPs get a 100 dollar discount in the U.S max.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectime View Post
Why save money if it is on dad's credit card right?
It's so last year
What a ridiculous assumption. You know nothing about him.
appleisking is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:28 PM   #12
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRuizMD View Post
Thanks. Please elaborate, On the Mac online store, the educational discount on the entry 11" Macbook Air is $50 (From $999 to $949) with this promotion I will get an additional $100 on a card.

Where does your $200 off college students come from?
I made a mistake, it was talking about $200 off the non retina pro ($999 as opposed to $1,199 earlier in the year) and it's the same price at best buy. But you still get a $100 gift card when you buy from Apple!
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:13 PM   #13
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisking View Post
Barely kept pace with resolutions? Who's offering as much as they are?
You interpreted his post wrong. The retinas have an underpowered GPU powering them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisking View Post
Then why are people able to use their macbooks for like 6 years?



Nope think about it. Even if you were right, which you are not, best buy gives a 300 dollar, better than the gift card option. CMBPs get a 100 dollar discount in the U.S max.

----------



What a ridiculous assumption. You know nothing about him.

I can still 'use' my Windows 95 machine. Doesn't mean anything.

Wait for updates before buying these obsolete machines.
macsrcool1234 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:37 PM   #14
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030
 
iSayuSay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisking View Post
Barely kept pace with resolutions? Who's offering as much as they are?
......
While retina 15" display is ahead of its time. There's no proper technology to accompany. Especially with GT650M in a space constrained chassis.

Thus it's barely keeping the pace
iSayuSay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:38 PM   #15
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
My wife and I bought a 13" rMBP a couple of weeks ago (saved $100 and received a $100 Apple GC with my son's student ID), but I've been looking at the cMBP for the past week. I thought the $999 sales price was good already, but the extra $100 off might lead me into BB tomorrow.
FrankB1191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:15 PM   #16
JCMusic
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRuizMD View Post
Thanks. Please elaborate, On the Mac online store, the educational discount on the entry 11" Macbook Air is $50 (From $999 to $949) with this promotion I will get an additional $100 on a card.

Where does your $200 off college students come from?
The article references 13" Macbook Pros, not Macbook Airs. Retail on a base model 13" MBP is $1199. Apple's edu price is $999. Then BB is offering an additional $100 coupon code ONLY to students that register for the promo with a certifiable .edu email address, making it $899.99. (BB is selling it for $999.99, while Apple's edu price is $999 even.) Essentially BB is matching the Apple edu Back to School $100 App store card promo with another $100 off the actual computer itself. Nice deal.

Last edited by JCMusic; Jul 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: further clarification
JCMusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:50 PM   #17
John.B
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Flyover Country
I want a Haswell MBP.
John.B is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:08 AM   #18
JCMusic
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB1191 View Post
My wife and I bought a 13" rMBP a couple of weeks ago (saved $100 and received a $100 Apple GC with my son's student ID), but I've been looking at the cMBP for the past week. I thought the $999 sales price was good already, but the extra $100 off might lead me into BB tomorrow.
You DO have to have an actual college .edu email address to get the additional $100 off coupon. Has to be first registered online with the email address, they send you the code to use either for the online purchase or bring it into the store.
JCMusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:11 AM   #19
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
.....The company's 13-inch MacBook Pro with a 500GB hard drive and 4GB of memory is priced at $1,000, down from $1,200, and the 13-inch MacBook Pro with a 750GB hard drive and 8GB of memory, which was $1,500, is now available for $1,300.

Students can get an additional $100 discount by registering on the Best Buy Student Deals website with an .edu email address. The promotion, which kicked off today, will last until July 27.

Article Link: Best Buy Discounts 13-inch MacBook Pros by $200 for Back-to-School Promotion
Clear those puppies out, cause you know what's coming soon.....
__________________
Due to my aversion to bragging and clichés, no words of wisdom to be found on this line.....
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:19 AM   #20
1080p
macrumors 68000
 
1080p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
I am so glad I saw this. I am literally starting school Monday, and I have my iMac for sale on eBay. I was going to take the $750ish NET I'll likely clear and buy a 2012 MBA out of the Apple Refurb store for $799. But for $900 @ Best Buy... I am going for the cMBP instead! Better deal!
__________________
Hackintosh| Core i7 4770K, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 770 | OSX Yosemite | iPhone 6 | Synology NAS
1080p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:50 AM   #21
iDuel
macrumors 6502a
 
iDuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNanny View Post
not for high school students
Uh, why would it be?
__________________
Internet Explorer cannot display this Signature.
iDuel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:37 AM   #22
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMusic View Post
You DO have to have an actual college .edu email address to get the additional $100 off coupon. Has to be first registered online with the email address, they send you the code to use either for the online purchase or bring it into the store.
I saw that, and my son has an actual .edu email address. When we bought the rMBP, I called the Apple store to ask what sort of info they required. They said to just bring in Jr's student ID. Getting a $100 coupon sent to my son's .edu address wouldn't be a problem.
FrankB1191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:50 AM   #23
sransari
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Not bad...but can't beat the 15". MBP retina I snagged off eBay for $1200 without a scratch and 10 months left on the original warranty!
sransari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:57 AM   #24
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816
 
Tankmaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Well this means new macbook pro is coming.
2 weeks after the back to school program
__________________
Check out our game Tank Maze
Tankmaze is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:19 AM   #25
anish3232
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
I made a mistake, it was talking about $200 off the non retina pro ($999 as opposed to $1,199 earlier in the year) and it's the same price at best buy. But you still get a $100 gift card when you buy from Apple!
Wrong, at bestbuy its $899. ($999 - $100 with edu email)
__________________
MacBook Pro, 2.4 i5, 8GB Ram, 250GB SSD
anish3232 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back to the school promotion, when does it starts? sevimli MacBook Pro 5 Jun 21, 2013 12:46 PM
Student discounts and back to school promos? Oohehe MacBook Air 11 Jun 12, 2013 10:36 PM
2012 Back To School Promotion afurry13 MacBook Pro 6 Sep 10, 2012 05:11 PM
Back to school promotion question nrfujnbfvj MacBook Air 1 Jun 17, 2012 04:53 PM
2012 back to school promotion sebastien19 iMac 1 Jun 5, 2012 07:01 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC