Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Zellio
macrumors 6502a

Why make a plastic iPhone? Why not big iPhone and small iPhone?

If they made a 4.5-5 inch iphone I'd come back in a heartbeat. You don't need many versions of the iphone, just one for people with big hands and one for people with small.
Zellio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2
waa1futs
Banned

Apple doesn't seem to want multiple iPhone screen sizes. That creates fragmentation where apps and the OS need to be written twice over for both screen sizes. They seem to want things as a "one size fits all" approach at 4" screen so that its easier on them and app developers.

With the budget iPhone they get to penetrate the lower price market as well as eliminate the different screen sized iPhone 4s.
waa1futs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:10 PM   #3
WordMasterRice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waa1futs View Post
Apple doesn't seem to want multiple screen sizes. That creates fragmentation where apps and the OS need to be written twice over for both screen sizes.
As apprised to their current method which requires two ways?
WordMasterRice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:12 PM   #4
waa1futs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMasterRice View Post
As apprised to their current method which requires two ways?
I believe so. Of course it's just my opinion but I think that they will want all new 2013 iPhones sold to have 4" screens so that it become the new unified standard.
waa1futs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:53 PM   #5
zipster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Apple doesn't seem to want multiple iPhone screen sizes. That creates fragmentation where apps and the OS need to be written twice over for both screen sizes. They seem to want things as a "one size fits all" approach at 4" screen so that its easier on them and app developers.
You know there's an iPad and iPad mini, right? It can be done.

zipster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:16 PM   #6
ZombiePete
macrumors 6502a

Plastic is cheap and easy to manufacture and is well-suited for a "cheaper" iPhone for developing nations and low-budget customers.
ZombiePete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipster View Post
You know there's an iPad and iPad mini, right? It can be done.

Except the iPad mini uses the same resolution the non-retina iPads use and the retina iPad uses a resolution double that, so it's not as much of a problem. Developers only need to make one version with retina in mind and it'll adjust to the lower resolution iPads too.
Agent-P is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:57 AM   #8
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:

With the budget iPhone they get to penetrate the lower price market as well as eliminate the different screen sized iPhone 4s.
You make it sound like the apps and OS LITERALLY have to be written from scratch for each iteration. That is simply not the case at all... Write for one, edit for the other, simple.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:37 AM   #9
Merkie
macrumors 65816

The plastic iPhone is there to replace the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is expensive to produce. The "budget" (or plastic) iPhone will be much cheaper to produce so that Apple can achieve higher margins on cheap iPhones.
Merkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:44 AM   #10
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
You make it sound like the apps and OS LITERALLY have to be written from scratch for each iteration. That is simply not the case at all... Write for one, edit for the other, simple.
Somewhere out there is a developer banging his head against a wall reading this post... It's not the OS that is the problem. It's the apps, and any developer will tell you what a PITA it is to have to develop for multiple screen sizes.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:11 AM   #11
Zellio
macrumors 6502a

That depends on many factors, including if it's just a resolution change or going for 4:3 to 16:9, as well if it's a 3d game (Which a resolution change isn't really that bad) versus a 2d game where all art assets must be resized and redrawn, esp. if goes to a 16:9 or 16:10..
Zellio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:01 AM   #12
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton63841 View Post
Somewhere out there is a developer banging his head against a wall reading this post... It's not the OS that is the problem. It's the apps, and any developer will tell you what a PITA it is to have to develop for multiple screen sizes.
The person I quoted stated that the OS and the apps had to be rewritten. I stated they don't, because, well, they don't. PITA? Well I guess you aren't just coding for one screen size so it's more work than doing nothing extra, but I'd hardly call it a PITA. two of my very good friends write apps for the government for multiple mobile operating systems. Their opinion also seems to differ from yours about it being a huge PITA. I can fully accept this being an issue for a novice coder, but any of the apps that actually make it into the spotlight (read: people actually download and want them) are likely written by people that don't think it's some huge fuss.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:58 AM   #13
cynics
macrumors 603

I'm glad Apple is going to start making cheap junk. I was getting tired of reading how other manufactures that use plastic were cheap junk. This will also give me an excuse to start looking into other brands since plastic is the norm.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:43 AM   #14
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
I'm glad Apple is going to start making cheap junk. I was getting tired of reading how other manufactures that use plastic were cheap junk. This will also give me an excuse to start looking into other brands since plastic is the norm.
Can't... tell... if... serious?

Up until last year they still made a plastic phone... Up until 2-3 years ago they still made a plastic laptop.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:55 PM   #15
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Can't... tell... if... serious?

Up until last year they still made a plastic phone... Up until 2-3 years ago they still made a plastic laptop.
Completely serious. I love cheap junky plastic! It flexes back, can have more durable coatings, isn't cold to the touch, nfc works great through it, doesn't dent. I'm just a sucker for cheap junky crappy plastic!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:22 PM   #16
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

The latest rumour I heard was that the new iPhone will have a 4.3" screen. If this is the case, I wonder if the pixel density is going to be the same or if the resolution will be higher.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:43 PM   #17
GBR
macrumors regular

I have often wondered why Apple decides to offer size options in just about every product they sell but not when it comes to the iPhone, their most popular product. Why wouldn't they think people would want a choice between a 4" and 5" iPhone? They sell a 11"&13" air, 13"&15" pro, 21.5"&27" iMac, regular and mini iPad, iPod touch & iPod nano. Apparently one size doesn't fit all.
I also own a GS4 and my iPhone 5 is superior to it in every way but the screen size. Whenever I grab the GS4 I always think it would be perfect if my iPhone screen was this size.
15" MacBook Pro Retina & 27" Thunderbolt Display
GBR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 06:08 AM   #18
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Completely serious. I love cheap junky plastic! It flexes back, can have more durable coatings, isn't cold to the touch, nfc works great through it, doesn't dent. I'm just a sucker for cheap junky crappy plastic!
So then... Apple isn't starting to make "cheap junk" as you put it. They are continuing to do so...
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:24 AM   #19
Brittany246
macrumors 6502a

Maybe apple is trying to get rid of the smaller screened 4/4s all together by introducing the cheap plasticy phone. Remember when they stopped selling the 4th gen iPod touch and introduced the cheaper 5th gen iPod touch? I think they want all of their iPods and iPhones to have the same screen size, so I highly doubt the iPhone screen size will increase any time soon.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone