Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

evernote.png
Evernote today updated its app with new features to make it easier for users to organize their notes, including Shortcuts, related notes and Skitch integration.

Shortcuts allows users to "shortcut" important or favorite notes, notebooks and tags so they're available for easy access. These Shortcuts also sync across devices and versions of Evernote so that users can access them everywhere. Previously, the app had a "Favorite" section that was limited strictly to notes.

The company has also integrated Skitch support into the app, so if users have Skitch installed on their phone they can annotate their images and notes with Skitch and they'll show up in Evernote.

evernoteshortcuts.png
Premium Evernote users get a couple new features too, with the ability to annotate PDF documents with Skitch as well as related notes. With related notes, when a new note is started, Evernote will look through past notes to recommend additional notes that may be helpful.

Evernote for iOS is a universal app that's available for free on the App Store. Evernote Premium is available for $4.99 a month or $44.99 a year. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Evernote Updates iOS App With Shortcuts, Related Notes and Skitch Support

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Am I the only one who fails to see the use of related notes?

I'm a heavy Evernote user, and I find the feature annoying [thankfully you can turn it off!]. It is handy for searches, but not for when you're reading a note or composing one. Perhaps if one is using EN to write a book or research paper and they divide up their work into different notes, the 'related' feature might be useful to see how the current note relates to something they've already referenced. But for me, it's non-feature and seems weird that it's something special enough to EN to enable it only for Premium users.

czeano

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
After the Microsofting they pulled on Skitch, I find it appropriate that you can't spell Evernote without EEE.

Earlio

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
Support Poor Too!

Have had a number of issues with Evernote - not responding on my iMac (though still working on my MBP) - after trying various "fixes" from Evernote the advice was "you can still use the Net version" then each time a new version is released I get a mail sayig "try this version" - no luck so far and so frustrated now that I have switched to Notesuite.

Nice update, if you can get the bloody thing to work.:mad:

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
evernote is really great, one of my favorite apps, but it's really sad to see the premium version priced too high.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
im a big fan of evernote, i've been using it for years, it's the best notes app but i too think that the price is a bit too high.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
It is handy for searches, but not for when you're reading a note or composing one. Perhaps if one is using EN to write a book or research paper and they divide up their work into different notes, the 'related' feature might be useful to see how the current note relates to something they've already referenced.

I use Evernote primarily for organizing my research, and the related notes are still useless. Most of the time they have no actual relevance to whatever note I'm looking at. In my mind, nothing beats a consistent title convention and tags.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I actually prefer how evernote handles itself on Android.

More and more I find myself using this app. It's excellent. Not sure about getting the premium version though.

opac

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
I was using Evernote for a while, but imo this app isn't the best way to add notes etc

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
evernote is really great, one of my favorite apps, but it's really sad to see the premium version priced too high.

im a big fan of evernote, i've been using it for years, it's the best notes app but i too think that the price is a bit too high.

You think $45 a year is to high? That comes out to $3.75 a month. I actually like the premium, as I am big user and have a lot of pictures and documents within Evernote. I have been for a few years now.

sharifakram

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
Stringnote a new and smarter than evernote

Stringnote is one of the powerful app for Android device users that allows them to double-click their power button to either: take a picture, or record 15 seconds of audio, or record 9 seconds of video, and instantly save them to Evernote. Stringnote can automatically add time and location to the note for future reference.
it has a Improved “Synchronization,” feature for Evernote notebooks & auto-tagging of notes based on GPS data also.

You all can have it here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kandasoft.stringnote

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.