Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:44 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Chinese Woman Electrocuted by iPhone 4 Likely Used Unauthorized Charger

Ma Ailun, the 23-year-old Chinese woman who was killed via electric shock when answering a call on her iPhone last week, was most likely using an unauthorized third party charger, reports the South China Morning Post.

Knockoff chargers often use low cost supplies and fail to meet standards for the adequate isolation of electrical input and output, making them more dangerous than brand name chargers that are subject to safety regulations.

The alleged phone and charger that were in use during the incident.
Quote:
According to Xiang Ligang, a telecommunications expert interviewed by CCTV, the charger Ma had been using may have been a "knockoff" - a fake.

"Knockoff chargers sometimes cut corners," Xiang said. "The quality of the capacitor and circuit protector may not be good, and this may lead to the capacitor breaking down and sending 220 volts of electricity directly into the cell phone battery."
The woman was also reportedly using an iPhone 4 at the time of the incident, rather than an iPhone 5 as was originally stated. The iPhone 4 contains stainless steel, while the iPhone 5 is primarily aluminum. It is still unclear what caused the malfunction, as the iPhone 4 apparently remained functional after the incident.
Quote:
Xiang said that normally, the electric current from an overloaded charger would overheat the phone's casing, damaging the circuits inside and rendering the device unusable. In the case of Ma's iPhone 4, however, authorities said the phone could still be started normally despite severe traces of burning on its exterior. The phone's data cable, charger, and plug were all intact.
A police investigation into the incident is underway, and Apple has pledged to look into the accident. "We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident," said an Apple spokeswoman. "We will fully investigate and co-operate with the authorities in this matter."

A second iPhone related electrocution has also been reported (via ZDNet), involving a man who was injured while connecting his iPhone 4 to a third party charger 10 days ago. The man, who is currently in a hospital in Beijing, remains in a coma.

Article Link: Chinese Woman Electrocuted by iPhone 4 Likely Used Unauthorized Charger
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:46 PM   #2
tbrand7
macrumors 6502

now do you see why Apple created the lightning cable?
iPad Air- 128 GB, Celluar
tbrand7 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:47 PM   #3
lincolntran
macrumors 6502

People use knock off cables and news outlet blow the stories out of proportions and blame it on Apple, just to get attention.

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:48 PM   #4
komodrone
Banned

*throws away 6 generic chargers*
komodrone is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Some guy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisking View Post
In extremely bad taste... Also iphone 4 doesn't use the lightning cable so you fail.
Yeah, how dare he make fun of chargers! Doesn't he realize that chargers have feelings?!
Some guy is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:54 PM   #6
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Lots of people called it right, but the trolls said otherwise.

Bootleg gear can kill you...
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:56 PM   #7
thebrick
macrumors member

I also read that that women was taking a bath when she received a phone call, got out of a tub and took a phone call.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
The Original Article repeatedly stated she used the Official Apple Charger. Not Trolling.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:59 PM   #9
hovercast
macrumors member

Yet the phone and accessories remained intact. Amazing!
hovercast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:02 AM   #10
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
The Original Article repeatedly stated she used the Official Apple Charger. Not Trolling.
It was a claim from a family member. Some believed it, others didn't. Either could have been right.
ConCat is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:03 AM   #11
Lancer
macrumors 68000

I knew the facts would come out in the end, wonder if sites that reported the original story will update the facts now?

FYI most of the time I charge my 3Gs when hooked up to my iMac and syncing the data. I've answered the phone a few times and played games, never been electrocuted once.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:03 AM   #12
Pyrrhic Victory
macrumors regular

Good thing it wasn't an American, then the senate would demand to interrogate Tim Cook in another hearing while whining about how rich Apple is.
Pyrrhic Victory is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:11 AM   #13
portishead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Bootleg gear can kill you...
Yup, my old office almost burned down because of a chinese laptop battery. I don't play around anymore.
portishead is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:25 AM   #14
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
Yup, my old office almost burned down because of a chinese laptop battery. I don't play around anymore.
Some people don't get there is a difference between proper engineering and simply soldering parts together
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:34 AM   #15
donutbagel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
No, it stated that her family members claimed that it was official. You could buy a fake one and not even know that it's fake.
donutbagel is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:34 AM   #16
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
My MBP knock of was making queer noises, I imminently threw it away, along with all the knock off schist I have.

This is why we should all use 30V DC electricity, instead of 120V and for crap's sake 220V???
rabidz7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:37 AM   #17
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

If it had been a iPhone 5 we could have made jokes about the "Lightning" connector...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
My MBP knock of was making queer noises, I imminently threw it away, along with all the knock off schist I have.

This is why we should all use 30V DC electricity, instead of 120V and for crap's sake 220V???
It takes less then 1 volt to kill.
lostngone is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:38 AM   #18
donutbagel
Banned

Even if it's fake, I don't see how it could electrocute her to death. Maybe she could have touched the AC power outlet, but at it seems like this thing at worst (sending the AC through the wire) would short out instead of sending the current through the body.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
If you have enough current at only 1 volt going straight through someone's heart, yeah. Through skin on the hands, no. I would have been dead from a car battery.

Last edited by donutbagel; Jul 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM.
donutbagel is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:39 AM   #19
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
If it had been a iPhone 5 we could have made jokes about the "Lightning" connector...

----------

Not in DC at 2.2 amps. Then putting your tongue on an iPhone charger would kill. I put my tongue on someones PowerBook charger when I was 6 and nothing happens besides it stinging.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:41 AM   #20
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
It isn't the voltage that kills you. It's the Amps. There's a guy at work here who survived when he didn't earth one of the cabinets in the Radar properly before he stuck his hands in there. Received a jolt of 30,000 volts. I can't remember the Amps off the top of my head.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:42 AM   #21
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutbagel View Post
Even if it's fake, I don't see how it could electrocute her to death. Maybe she could have touched the AC power outlet, but at worst it seems like this thing would short out instead of sending the current through the body.

----------

Through skin on the hands, no.
You put it to your ear and you are not wearing shoes or touching anything metal with the other hand and Mr. electricity will try and find a ground to go to.
lostngone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:43 AM   #22
benpatient
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
A second iPhone related electrocution has also been reported
by definition, electrocution is always fatal...so he either wasn't electrocuted, or he is dead.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:43 AM   #23
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
Not in DC at 2.2 amps. Then putting your tongue on an iPhone charger would kill. I put my tongue on someones PowerBook charger when I was 6 and nothing happens besides it stinging.
It takes milliamps stop your heart
lostngone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:44 AM   #24
moxin
macrumors regular

i sometimes use my HTC charger with my iPhone.
Does it fall in unauthorized category cause i never ran into any problem with that one.
moxin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:44 AM   #25
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHenryMorgan View Post
Sorry I don't share your sympathy. A woman died from using a malecowdookie charger. Not my problem. 100 people died in the US today from car accidents. I won't stop driving tomorrow.
I pity you. The fact that people die everyday, especially in accidents, shouldn't be taken so lightly. I wonder if you'd change your perspective if the situation were more personal.

Now about the faulty chargers, could the two incidents be related?
lolkthxbai is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion