Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:26 PM   #1
Geddy
macrumors newbie

Pro Tools HD with 30" apple moniter..

Hi Folks, I wonder if anyone can help me. I am a musician and run a 'Pro Tools TDM HD 2' system. I was suprised to be told recently that it is impossible to use an Apple 30" moniter display whilst running Pro Tools TDM as the required graphics card overhangs and causes problems with the HD core card. I have a dual 2.3 G5 that i bought 6 weeks ago (not one of the latest machines). I have subsequently been advised that an ATI Radion 850X graphics card may solve the problem,What d'ya reckon?
Geddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 02:29 PM   #2
bigandy
macrumors G3

get the latest, greatest, most expensive graphics card you can possibly afford that'll drive the 30" ACD properly. that card should be ok, but it may be an incompatibility with certain hardware, so maybe get in touch with the guys that make ProTools.

or use Logic
Old Nov 12, 2005, 05:18 PM   #3
OutThere
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandy
get the latest, greatest, most expensive graphics card you can possibly afford that'll drive the 30" ACD properly. that card should be ok, but it may be an incompatibility with certain hardware, so maybe get in touch with the guys that make ProTools.

or use Logic
I think he was referring to the fact that the graphics card actually physically hangs over the slot for the ProTools card within the computer...If they claim that the X850 doesn't cover the slot then go for it...you should probably get the best card that you can afford that doesn't hang over the slot.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 01:26 PM   #4
DDarkfire
macrumors newbie

Hey,
The problem isn't an actual system incompatibility. As OutThere mentioned, the problem is a physical one. You need to make sure that the video card doesn't block the slots for the HD cards. If it does, you can always go for a 64-bit PCI Expansion Chassis, such as the one made by Digidesign. The problem with this one is that it is a bit too hardcore, and in all honesty Digidesign isn't known for having fair prices.
Cheers

Daniel Bitran
Youngest Certified ProTools Operator

Last edited by DDarkfire; Nov 28, 2005 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Broken Link
DDarkfire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio