Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:30 AM   #1
Communicator
macrumors newbie

Windows 7 installed. Add Fusion or Parallels?

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 15" with the SSD partitioned (via Bootcamp) with Windows 7 and Mac OSX Mountain Lion.

Both work perfectly.

To save the need for reboots, is it possible, and an easy process, to install VMWare or Parallels without the need to re-install Windows 7 or change the partitions.

Can someone with the experience give me an idea of what the process entails, if it is indeed possible.

Given that my set up at present works perfectly well, except for the need for reboots for OSX to Windows, I would use VMWare or Parallels only if there was little risk of causing trouble with the new installation.

Thanks for any help.

Communicator
Communicator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:32 AM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Yes, both Fusion and Parallels allow you to run your Boot Camp partition and process is fairly simple and straight forward to connect
MacDawg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Bending Pixels
macrumors 6502

Short answer - no. You'll have to install Win7 as a virtual machine under either Fusion or Parallels
Bending Pixels is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:59 AM   #4
hakr100
macrumors 6502a

I've never understood why anyone uses Bootcamp to get Windows up and running when there are software alternatives that allow that without requiring a reboot.

I've run VMWARE Fusion for years without incident.
hakr100 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:09 AM   #5
larry918
macrumors regular

VMWare is really nice, it hardly taxes the CPU on my 8gb RAM MBA, and I get around 9 hours of battery However, I have read some reviews saying that Parallels is better for gaming,
larry918 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:14 AM   #6
chabig
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bending Pixels View Post
Short answer - no. You'll have to install Win7 as a virtual machine under either Fusion or Parallels
That may be short, but it's wrong. Parallels can run his Boot Camp partition without modification. See http://download.parallels.com/deskto...uide/23112.htm
chabig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Bending Pixels
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
That may be short, but it's wrong. Parallels can run his Boot Camp partition without modification. See http://download.parallels.com/deskto...uide/23112.htm
I stand corrected.
Bending Pixels is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

I use parallels desktop 8, have used both (shortly used fusion) parallels is MUCH better. faster nicer etc. go for that.
Z400Racer37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:48 PM   #9
wbensky
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400Racer37 View Post
I use parallels desktop 8, have used both (shortly used fusion) parallels is MUCH better. faster nicer etc. go for that.
Fun fact: Parallels is faster than fusion because parallels doesn't have to simulate the computer processor, unlike fusion.

wbensky is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:30 PM   #10
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbensky View Post
Fun fact: Parallels is faster than fusion because parallels doesn't have to simulate the computer processor, unlike fusion.

Yet Fusion typically is a bit more stable and has superior tech support. Plus no ads as you start the product up.

Bottom line, its a personal preference, I like Fusion because of the stability, I ran into kernel panics on OSX and BSODs from time to time with Parallels (a couple of versions ago). When I reach out to Fusions tech support I usually get a response within the day.

Parallels is very popular because its usually faster and they typically add new features quicker then VMware does.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:48 PM   #11
isomorphic
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbensky View Post

This is false.

Both VMware Fusion and Parallels use hardware virtualization.

I think both are capable of virtualizing Intel-on-Intel without virtualization instructions (or they were in the past).

Even VirtualBox, the mostly free, mostly open-source offering from Oracle, uses virtualization in hardware.

You may be thinking of an emulator, e.g., QEMU or PearPC from the old PowerPC days.
isomorphic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:33 PM   #12
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

For the few apps I need on Win, I use a virtual and find both Parallels and Fusion quite capable. Gamers are far better off to do the boot deal rather than go virtual. I say this based on several friends that do some regular gaming and all seem to say the same thing that virtual is not the way to go for games.

Just more peanuts from the gallery.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:04 PM   #13
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator View Post
To save the need for reboots, is it possible, and an easy process, to install VMWare or Parallels without the need to re-install Windows 7 or change the partitions.
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html
Quote:
The Perfect Complement to Boot Camp

No more choosing between Windows or Mac at startup, VMware Fusion lets you run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side directly from your existing Boot Camp partition.
http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd88/
Quote:
Use the Boot Camp partition as a bootable volume disk in Parallels Desktop to run high-performance PC-only software at full speed in a Mac’s native hardware environment, access all of your system settings, peripheral devices, files and folders in your Parallels Desktop virtual machine.
...and yes, it's very easy. I've done so with both. Just make sure that you're set up to run your Boot Camp partition under whichever solution you choose versus importing. Importing will create a VM copy. I unintentionally did that and didn't realize until I noticed that there was some divergence between Boot Camp and Fusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
I've never understood why anyone uses Bootcamp to get Windows up and running when there are software alternatives that allow that without requiring a reboot.
Overhead. Don't assume your preferences and priorities to be universal no matter what the topic. This is covered in every thread that discusses Boot Camp versus Fusion & Parallels. If one sets up Boot Camp first and then uses Fusion or Parallels to run the Boot Camp partition then one has the option of using either solution as needed. For resource intensive gaming I Boot Camp. For less demanding usage I use Fusion.

Quote:
I've run VMWARE Fusion for years without incident.
I ran Parallels for years without incident. One data point is never a trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400Racer37 View Post
Better is always highly subjective no matter what the topic. There are pros and cons to each solution -- just like anything else. Ads with Parallels made it a non-starter for me. YMMV as with any subjective matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
I say this based on several friends that do some regular gaming and all seem to say the same thing that virtual is not the way to go for games.
Yup, you don't get something for nothing. Virtual solutions will have overhead associated with them. Additionally, resources are split between the host and guest OS's.

Last edited by takeshi74; Jul 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:13 AM   #14
Communicator
macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone who replied for the information and good advice.

I'll probably leave well alone and run OSX and Windows 7 separately, as I have them currently set up on my MacBook.

Communicator
Communicator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:39 AM   #15
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isomorphic View Post
This is false.

Both VMware Fusion and Parallels use hardware virtualization.

I think both are capable of virtualizing Intel-on-Intel without virtualization instructions (or they were in the past).

Even VirtualBox, the mostly free, mostly open-source offering from Oracle, uses virtualization in hardware.

You may be thinking of an emulator, e.g., QEMU or PearPC from the old PowerPC days.
I'm afraid I'll have to disagree based on my experiences. If you run Windows virtually in OS X using Parallels, and you go to the system information, it will show the exact CPU model that the Mac has. The CPU is in no way emulated, Parallels uses it directly. Add more processors/threads to the VM and it will still show as being the same model, but more processors show up in Task Manager.

Every time I've used VMs on VMware it seems to just come up as 'unknown processor @3.2GHz' or something like that.

But if it's different in the newer versions of VMware then I stand corrected.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:53 AM   #16
hakr100
macrumors 6502a

Processor shows up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 10.51.38 AM.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	425553  
hakr100 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:38 AM   #17
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Processor shows up.
I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store