Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hi all,

I've got a iphone5 on 6.1 that has been jailbroken. I'm running out of space and it looks like I have abotu 4 gigs of "other". I ran iCleaner, but that only got rid of a few hundred mb. Is my best bet to restore? How do I do that but keep my jailbreak? Thanks!

-jon

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hi HankHowdy,

i think I got rid of all that stuff.... what screenshot would I need to take? Something from icleaner?

I jsut went through with ifile and got rid of all my SMS message attachments. Didnt seem to help too much...

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Probably iMessage attachments using that space. I don't recall which topic here originally mentioned the reddit article. But if you use iFile or similar file system app, browse to the /var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments folder. You can safely delete the pictures here.

edit - oops. Was typing my message as you were posting yours. But how big is your attachment folder?

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
well, now my attachments folder is 0 bytes (per ifile). It helped some, but I'm still sitting on multiple gigs of "other"... hmmm

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
well, now my attachments folder is 0 bytes (per ifile). It helped some, but I'm still sitting on multiple gigs of "other"... hmmm

I'd start here. I hope this helps. Quite annoying when "Other" data is so large...

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1ez4f7/psa_the_guide_to_cleaning_up_your_other_section/

Edit: FYI, its normal to have anywhere from 500mb to 1.5gb of other data on a jailbroken device. Eveything installed from Cydia is considered other data. Plus any files you copy to the device circumventing iTunes will be considered other like mp3 files, PDFs, documents, etc. Something to keep in mind.

Edit again: Do you use iTransmission or some other bit torrent? Partially downloaded torrents can take up huge chunks of other.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for the post BumpyFlatline. No, I dont use any torrent clients, so that wouldn't be it... hhmmm... still not great.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Do you SSH to the device?

There is a tutorial on the cydia home page.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374690366.899186.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Openssh access how to. Tap that and read the tutorial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Ahhh, I was asking the OP if he uses SSH as he might have put some files on his device and forgot about them

----------

I believe he thinks you need help with how to SSH. I think he's confused by your post and didn't read it carefully.

Thanks

----------

Now that I think about it, did you delete stuff using ifile? If you did, it moves it to the trash folder and you must empty the trash folder. Press edit and the trash icon and it should give you the option to empty trash

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.