Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:18 PM   #1
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Breaking Bad - Awaiting the Final Episodes **Spoilers**

The final season of AMC's Breaking Bad starts on August 11.

I was a relative latecomer to Breaking Bad. I'd seen the pilot when it first came out, and (foolishly) got turned off by the dad from Malcolm in the Middle and what seemed like a preposterous storyline. My bad.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I heard Aaron Paul (Jesse Pinkman) interviewed by Teri Gross on NPR's Fresh Air. That, and a host of critical acclaim and I figured it was time to give the show a second look.

When someone tells you Breaking Bad is the best show ever on television - they aren't kidding. Everything about the show is great - casting, plotlines, dialog, music. Even the cinematography is superb. (By way of comparison, you can watch all six seasons of The Sopranos and never see a shot that is particularly interesting from a visual perspective.)

As someone who knows a little bit about organic chemistry, the creators got the meth-cooking just about right, without actually giving you any real hints how to make the stuff. (Note, I hope it doesn't ruin it for anyone, but a chemist of Walt's abilities could pretty easily synthesize methylamine himself - no need to rob trains.)

If you haven't seen the show, and are curious - check it out via Netflix streaming. The first four seasons are available here in the US, and also - I believe - in the UK. (Season five is on the iTunes store.)
vrDrew is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

I just love the show. I am refreshing myself with the whole series from the pilot to the last episode of last season before August 11. I've been on this marathon viewing since last Friday and I am almost done with season 4 now.

This is by far one of the best-ever made shows I've seen. I am looking forward to seeing how it all ends.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Jul 19, 2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
SandboxGeneral is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:29 PM   #3
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
If I had to choose, it'd be The Wire, but yes, Breaking Bad is right up there, among the best TV I've ever watched. I finished watching season 5 part 1 two weeks ago. Like you, I watched the first few episodes several years ago, but didn't really get into it. A few months ago, I gave it another chance, and blamed myself for not being more perseverant the first time. It's really great.
juanm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:18 PM   #4
eternlgladiator
macrumors 68000

I'm so excited for the finale. I can't wait for it to come back. Dexter is barely tiding me over. Homeland this fall too. Good things happening. I have no idea how BB is going to end but the end of season 5 part one so intense. I watched it twice.
eternlgladiator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:08 PM   #5
malman89
macrumors 65816

I never had time or cared for the show until a few weeks ago when I finally sat down to watch the pilot. A good 5 days later and I was done with the whole series.

It's still fresh in my mind, so no need to re-watch. It was rough with GoT and Mad Men ending, but Suits is back, so at least I have one show a week to watch until Breaking Bad comes back.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

I love the show. Can't wait to see what Hank does now that he knows

Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:28 PM   #7
SandboxGeneral

With an album cover that reads "Remember My Name" its certainly going to be a great ending. Walter's pride is what carried the show and made it what it is, and no doubt it will finally bring his destruction.
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:28 PM   #8
afireintonto
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to afireintonto
I'm so excited to see the conclusion to breaking bad!
It's been one hell of a show so far!

Seriously the best show i've ever seen, hopefully the end isn't some ****** lost style nonsense.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:19 PM   #9
TSE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
I love the show. Can't wait to see what Hank does now that he knows

That ending. Don't think there could have been a more suspenseful and better cliff hanger.

Can't wait.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Vetvito
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
That ending. Don't think there could have been a more suspenseful and better cliff hanger.

Can't wait.
Yes. I hate them for making me wait so long.

I wish Walt didn't kill the hit man, he was pretty cool.

Man August needs to hurry up.
Vetvito is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 06:50 AM   #11
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

For those of us who don't have the time to re-watch earlier seasons, here's your series recap in 9 minutes.

Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:20 AM   #12
palmerc2
macrumors 65816

Same! I've started to watch all the episodes from the Pilot and I'm currently on season 3....I need to hurry up!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:33 AM   #13
SandboxGeneral

I'll be starting season 5 in a little while...
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
I'd seen the pilot when it first came out, and (foolishly) got turned off by the dad from Malcolm in the Middle and what seemed like a preposterous storyline.

Interesting little bit of TV geek trivia. The genesis of Breaking Bad actually started way back during the height of the X-Files. If you've got Netflix or Hulu, look up the sixth season episode "Drive", written by Vince Gilligan, guest starring Bryan Cranston.

Last edited by Renzatic; Jul 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 01:21 PM   #15
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerc2 View Post
Same! I've started to watch all the episodes from the Pilot and I'm currently on season 3....I need to hurry up!
One of the things I really noticed during my recent spate of "binge watching" all the episodes:

Listen to the number of times the show is punctuated by a ringing bell note. Not just tio Hector's wheelchair bell. Elevator doors, microwaves, convenience stores - even the sound Walter jr.'s computer makes when someone makes a donation to his website. If you listen carefully its exactly the same note. And even if you didn't pick up on, it subconsciously works to tie the show's story together.

Its things like that, and probably a thousand other little details, that separate true artistry from mere competence.
vrDrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 01:36 PM   #16
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
One of the things I really noticed during my recent spate of "binge watching" all the episodes:

Listen to the number of times the show is punctuated by a ringing bell note. Not just tio Hector's wheelchair bell. Elevator doors, microwaves, convenience stores - even the sound Walter jr.'s computer makes when someone makes a donation to his website. If you listen carefully its exactly the same note. And even if you didn't pick up on, it subconsciously works to tie the show's story together.

Its things like that, and probably a thousand other little details, that separate true artistry from mere competence.
Interesting. That's something I hadn't picked up on, but you're right; its the same note.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 01:47 PM   #17
dec.
macrumors 6502a

I absolutely love the show, the visual style, the acting, the story lines,all the easter eggs and in a way I am glad that they are finishing the story up at a point where the interest is the highest. There hasn't been one season where I thought "ok, that wasn't the best..." - I hope they will pull a bold and interesting finale through, on a genius level of The Sopranos or so...
Old Jul 20, 2013, 01:49 PM   #18
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
I absolutely love the show, the visual style, the acting, the story lines,all the easter eggs and in a way I am glad that they are finishing the story up at a point where the interest is the highest. There hasn't been one season where I thought "ok, that wasn't the best..." - I hope they will pull a bold and interesting finale through, on a genius level of The Sopranos or so...
Agreed. I think they're ending it at the right time where it doesn't jump the shark.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 01:57 PM   #19
0dev
macrumors 68040

Best show on television is probably pushing it a bit, but I do love it, it's an amazing show, and you have to watch it to see how really great it is. When I describe the plot to people many just roll their eyes. But once they've started watching it they understand where I'm coming from.

I too have started watching some old episodes in anticipation for the new ones. I expect to be amazed once again
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:04 PM   #20
spoon man
macrumors 6502a

I've just started re watching it again on series 3 atm, but what do you think Hank will do after the last scene..Play it cool or go bat-**** crazy ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	u0FjU-e1360939741413.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	424595  

Last edited by spoon man; Jul 24, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
spoon man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:23 PM   #21
TSE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon man View Post
I've just started re watching it again on series 3 atm, but what do you think Hank will do after the last scene..Play it cool or go bat-**** crazy ?
Play it cool.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 05:39 AM   #22
SandboxGeneral

I'm all caught up from season one through the end of season 5 as of Saturday. Bring on the final season!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:11 AM   #23
Teh Don Ditty
macrumors G4

Words cannot describe how pumped I am for these final episodes.

Bring on the Great Heisenberg!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:36 PM   #24
spoon man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
Play it cool.
I don't think he will do because he was showing signs of losing control from time to time from S3 on-wards.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 05:52 AM   #25
SandboxGeneral

Do we want to speculate on what may happen in this final season? I already have partial plot worked out in my head of how it may go down.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion