Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Digital Music Streams Up 24% in 2013 Ahead of iTunes Radio Launch

Ahead of the launch of iTunes Radio this fall, Nielsen has published its findings on U.S. music sales for the first half of 2013. Amongst other things, the survey showed total streams of both audio and video music increased 24% to 51 billion streams versus the same time period last year.

With digital album sales rising only 6.3% and digital single-track sales actually down 2.3%, streaming music is clearly a major growth area for the music industry and with Apple launching iTunes Radio on millions of iOS devices this fall, it could give a further boost to the music streaming.

iTunes Radio will include Pandora-style genre- and artist-based channels, extensive iTunes Store integration, and both ad-supported and ad-free subscription options. It is expected to launch to the public this fall alongside iOS 7.

TechCrunch has the full report, including lists of the most streamed songs and purchased albums.

Article Link: Digital Music Streams Up 24% in 2013 Ahead of iTunes Radio Launch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:20 PM   #2
bchery21
macrumors 6502

I personally don't stream my music but this has to be good news for Apple; come Fall, maybe I'll give iTunes Radio a shot with iOS 7...

Last edited by bchery21; Jul 19, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
bchery21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
JarJarThomas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchery21 View Post
I personally don't stream my music but this has to be good news for Apple; come Fall, maybe I'll give iTunes Radio it a shot with iOS 7...
i only stream using itunes match
JarJarThomas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4
lbjsong
macrumors member

I buy albums. Listening to Singles just sucks. No heart and souls of artists there.
lbjsong is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:33 PM   #5
bandalay
macrumors member

Pity the poor musicians

The whole thing smacks of a way to return more money to the infrastructure owners and less to the content creators.

I'm seeing new gains in streaming volume on the artists I manage, with ridiculously low dollar returns. With iTunes sales we could actually make a reasonable amount - not going to happen if the "norm" become streaming.

Should be the last step to completely commoditizing music.
bandalay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:33 PM   #6
sundog925
macrumors 6502a

Ever since iTunes match, my iPod classic has been gathering dust.
Best feature to come out EVERRRR.
sundog925 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:34 PM   #7
YeahBuddy
macrumors regular

This is good news for Apple. Since iOS 7 i've only used Pandora a couple of times, and that's because I was on my Mac.

Last edited by YeahBuddy; Jul 19, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
YeahBuddy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:35 PM   #8
32KFJ
macrumors regular

bring it to europe.
32KFJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:37 PM   #9
bucs79
macrumors newbie

iTunes Radio (or iRadio or whatever it is branded) is a non-starter for me. Spotify is a nearly perfect music consumption experience. I used to buy a CD a week. Out of 50+ CDs a year, there were maybe 10 that were worth the money. I'd listen to them via iTunes and stream them to my airplay speakers. It was awesome.

Now, with Spotify, it is much better. I sample all the CDs I want stream them to my Airplay speakers as well. Finding new music could still be a bit better, but that's really my only gripe. Apple needs to copy the spotify model. The streaming radio is crap. I want to listen to what I want to listen too.
bucs79 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:00 PM   #10
jaymzuk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs79 View Post
iTunes Radio (or iRadio or whatever it is branded) is a non-starter for me. Spotify is a nearly perfect music consumption experience. I used to buy a CD a week. Out of 50+ CDs a year, there were maybe 10 that were worth the money. I'd listen to them via iTunes and stream them to my airplay speakers. It was awesome.

Now, with Spotify, it is much better. I sample all the CDs I want stream them to my Airplay speakers as well. Finding new music could still be a bit better, but that's really my only gripe. Apple needs to copy the spotify model. The streaming radio is crap. I want to listen to what I want to listen too.
And Spotify is available across all mobile platforms, so if you're audacious enough to own a non-Apple device, you can still have all of your playlists sitting there, ready to go.

If Apple wants to go down the subscription model route for streaming content, it really needs to get apps on other mobile OSs. I see no selling points for Apple's music streaming solution over Spotify. Ecosystem or 'I prefer Apple because it is betterer' just doesn't cut it in this instance.
jaymzuk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:01 PM   #11
oneMadRssn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandalay View Post
The whole thing smacks of a way to return more money to the infrastructure owners and less to the content creators.

I'm seeing new gains in streaming volume on the artists I manage, with ridiculously low dollar returns. With iTunes sales we could actually make a reasonable amount - not going to happen if the "norm" become streaming.

Should be the last step to completely commoditizing music.
Would the poor musicians prefer we get our music through piracy instead?

The way I see it, this streaming model is the first thing to come along that actually has a good shot of competing with piracy while getting the artists paid, even if they aren't paid as much as they were in the $15 CD days.

Sales of recorded music has been a loss leader for quite some time now, and I don't think this trend is going to reverse anytime soon. People seem to be willing to pay quite a lot of a live performance or for branded merchandise; but they will only pay that high price for artists they already listen to a lot.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:00 PM   #12
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

I'm so pumped for iTunes radio. Glad they made it part of a match subscription. It's going to save me a ton of money because my wife won't need to buy albums!!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

I'm still not convinced by iTunes Radio but knowing Apple they'll probably end up taking a huge chunk out of Pandora and make a lot of money in the process.
Shaun, UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:12 PM   #14
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Can someone explain to me why iTunes radio plays only clean and censored music? That's the only reason I don't use it right now.
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:17 PM   #15
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
I'm so pumped for iTunes radio. Glad they made it part of a match subscription. It's going to save me a ton of money because my wife won't need to buy albums!!
How do you work that out? As far as I know you can't select specific albums to stream on iTunes Radio. Like any radio station you take what they give, albeit based on your current music tastes.

If you want to save money you would be better of with Spotify or Rdio. Stream any album you want for around £10/month.
Shaun, UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:57 PM   #16
slu
macrumors 68000

With Google Play Music All Access, I have no interest in this service at all. Google Play Music is really a great product. It is iTunes Match, Spotify and Pandora all in one service. And the UI is much better than Spotify.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:57 PM   #17
jdawgnoonan
macrumors regular

iTunes Radio vs all you can eat plan.

I was disappointed in iTunes Radio because, compared to services like Spotify, Google Play Music, or Xbox Music, I find services like Pandora to be completely not interesting.
jdawgnoonan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:35 PM   #18
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Damn.

The new UI for iOS7 looks good and all, but it really accentuates that nasty black border around the screen where it meets the bezel.

SERIOUS hardware design flaw by I've. He could have easily hidden that.

Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:35 PM   #19
jmh600cbr
macrumors 6502

Why??? Why must i live in Canada? Apple PLEASE bring this to canada ASAP. We didn't even get Spotify
jmh600cbr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:58 PM   #20
iAmUndefined
macrumors member

Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjsong View Post
I buy albums. Listening to Singles just sucks. No heart and souls of artists there.
I bet if Apple released a spotify-like service you would say "Who would buy albums? This service is great!".
iAmUndefined is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:11 PM   #21
CapnJackGig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjsong View Post
Which is why Spotify and Xbox Music are going to destroy Apple's weak offering.
CapnJackGig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:30 PM   #22
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandalay View Post
The whole thing smacks of a way to return more money to the infrastructure owners and less to the content creators. I'm seeing new gains in streaming volume on the artists I manage, with ridiculously low dollar returns. With iTunes sales we could actually make a reasonable amount - not going to happen if the "norm" become streaming. Should be the last step to completely commoditizing music.
Even though the artists are better off now, than they were in the pre-iTunes days of piracy, it is sadly, like so many other industries, a greed-driven model, with the artists at the bottom of the priority totem pole.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:01 PM   #23
joelvega125
macrumors regular

Google Music

Nothing will ever beat Google's music service. 7.99 for unlimited streaming, no ads, skip to whatever song you want, or just play any song/album/artist you want to hear. It's amazing!
joelvega125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:23 PM   #24
eroslws
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelvega125 View Post
Nothing will ever beat Google's music service. 7.99 for unlimited streaming, no ads, skip to whatever song you want, or just play any song/album/artist you want to hear. It's amazing!
Sure, if you exclusively like rap. I can't find half of the music, not including foreign music, I listen to on Play Music.

Spotify blew the market out of the water, it's well worth the $10/month. Apple has the best chance of creating a better product, but iTunes Radio is far from that.
eroslws is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:06 PM   #25
ArmCortexA8
macrumors 6502a

I'm not a fan of any streaming services, because the consumer loses a lot of control of what they listen to and purchase - too many restrictions and it relies too heavily on data access which costs the consumer more money on top of the service price. I don't support DRM, or any other draconian measures. I pay I play my Way. I also prefer physical music files in exchange for what I purchase, not DRM laced / cached files which I have no access too. CD's also have a lot better audio quality than MP3 ever will, so in effect we are being asked to pay for something of poor quality with "control measures" - no thank you.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion