Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:36 PM   #1
alkalifly
macrumors regular

Save passwords in keychain with Safari autofill off?

Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent Safari from auto-filling the username and password at sites where this info is saved in the Mac OS X keychain, while at the same time, when I visit a new site or submit a changed password, have that information get automatically saved to the keychain?

If I un-check “AutoFill web forms: User names and passwords” in Safari preferences, this will prevent Safari from automatically filling in the login info, but new login entries are no longer added to the keychain. I would like things to be remembered so that I can look them up in my keychain if needed, but avoid anything getting automatically filled in.
alkalifly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Bear
macrumors G3

It sounds like you want a password keeper application like oneSafe or 1Password.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:11 PM   #3
alkalifly
macrumors regular

Indeed, I am using 1password, which is actually what inspired my wish. 1password is designed to work with Safari's autofill feature turned off (it will get confused if Safari is automatically filling in login data), and I like using 1password as designed. However, I would still like my login data to be saved to the native Mac OS X keychain "just in case" so I am not relying solely on third-party tools.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:04 PM   #4
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkalifly View Post
Indeed, I am using 1password, which is actually what inspired my wish. 1password is designed to work with Safari's autofill feature turned off (it will get confused if Safari is automatically filling in login data), and I like using 1password as designed. However, I would still like my login data to be saved to the native Mac OS X keychain "just in case" so I am not relying solely on third-party tools.
I am also using 1P with Safari's autofill turned off. However, whenever I have used it with Safari autofill on... I've never seem any case of "1P confusion". Have you experienced this?

My thought was to let Safari auto-fill in iOS 7 (when released)... but not in OSX. I wish Apple would just allow some API's to get around their sandboxing limitations which limits password applications (like 1P) to work with mobile Safari. That would make it much more convenient to use password programs, and improve security with iOS.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:17 PM   #5
alkalifly
macrumors regular

flynz4,

I hear ya on the iOS limitations re: mobile Safari and 1pass, it would be nice if allowed for better integration.

As far as the "confusion" that I was talking about on Mac OS X: Let's say I have my example.com password saved in both 1password and the keychain, and I have autofill turned on in Safari, and I also have “Ask to save new Logins” checked in 1password. If I were to navigate to www.example.com/login, then Safari would automatically fill in my username and password, and I click "login" at which point, 1password asks me if I want to save this login, even though it already has this login saved. This is documented at http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3..._autofill.html

Anyway, I will just go ahead and turn it off, and use 1password the way it is intended to work.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:08 PM   #6
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkalifly View Post
Anyway, I will just go ahead and turn it off, and use 1password the way it is intended to work.
So will I... I think that 1Password is one of my most valuable programs. There is no way I would want to get in its way of doing its job.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store