Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Developer Center Experiences Daylong Outage

Apple's Developer Center has been down for more than a day now, with no word from Apple on the reason behind the outage. MacRumors first began receiving reports of the downtime on July 18, at approximately 7:30 a.m. PT.

Since that time, developers have been unable to access the site and cannot visit the forums or download Mac or iOS SDKs, the iOS 7 beta, or the Mavericks beta. Though the Developer Center is offline, Apple's developer site is still accessible.

While the Dev Center often experiences downtime, many developers have stated on Twitter that the length of the outage is unusual. At this time, there is no indication of when the Developer Center might come back online. "This site is undergoing maintenance for an extended period today," reads the text. "Thanks for your patience."

Update: Apple has updated the notice on its Developer Center site, noting that developer memberships set to expire during the outage will be extended.
Quote:
We apologize that maintenance is taking longer than expected.
If your program membership was set to expire during this period, it has been extended and your app will remain on the App Store. If you have any other concerns about your account, please contact us.

Thank you for your patience.
Article Link: Apple's Developer Center Experiences Daylong Outage
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:07 PM   #2
-RJ-
macrumors newbie

New, flatter design?

The developer site is ripe for a serious overhaul anyway. Guessing we'll see a flatter design like the recently updated online store?
-RJ- is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:14 PM   #3
gaximus
macrumors regular

This sucks, I need to get on there.
gaximus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:46 PM   #4
drummerdude1390
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaximus View Post
This sucks, I need to get on there.
same! I have a new app I want to upload and need provisioning profiles, etc from the Dev Center!
drummerdude1390 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:58 PM   #5
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

I hope they update the user interface a little. It doesn't feel consistent!!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:59 PM   #6
carestudio
macrumors regular

server crashed?
carestudio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Cisco_Kid
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RJ- View Post
The developer site is ripe for a serious overhaul anyway. Guessing we'll see a flatter design like the recently updated online store?
I could not agree more, it's time for a refresh for sure.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

It's not outage, it's a new fresh redesign of DevCenter from John Ive and his marketing team of designers )
Mactendo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:58 PM   #9
bedifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactendo View Post
It's not outage, it's a new fresh redesign of DevCenter from John Ive and his marketing team of designers )
Think you're right. Was on the phone last night with Developer Support, trying to revoke certificates and fix the mess my account has oddly become. We both couldn't log on. He put me on hold and came back that they're revamping the ADC sites. We'll see what happens.

The ADC forums are filled with threads on it. Has anyone been able to access their profiles via Xcode?
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:13 PM   #10
gaximus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Think you're right. Was on the phone last night with Developer Support, trying to revoke certificates and fix the mess my account has oddly become. We both couldn't log on. He put me on hold and came back that they're revamping the ADC sites. We'll see what happens.

The ADC forums are filled with threads on it. Has anyone been able to access their profiles via Xcode?
No luck, trying to add a device to the portal via Xcode and it just times out.
gaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:15 PM   #11
bedifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaximus View Post
No luck, trying to add a device to the portal via Xcode and it just times out.
Hmmm, so the entire system is shut down. That's something I'd expect to happen over night. Either there are technical difficulties or the system is really being overhauled.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:27 PM   #12
starnox
macrumors 6502

Pain

Been wanting to add a device and get a new provisioning profile all day.

2013 World Tour coming? We can only hope
starnox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:51 PM   #13
gaximus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hmmm, so the entire system is shut down. That's something I'd expect to happen over night. Either there are technical difficulties or the system is really being overhauled.
The system was down yesterday at 4:30pm Central time for me.
gaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:58 PM   #14
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Hopefully a full overhaul. It needs it!
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:20 PM   #15
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYMetsx View Post
They didn't notify us about this!!
Yeah, if you are going to pull an extended, planned outage like this, you really need to notify people well in advance. When your business relies on Apple's developer portals, you can't afford to just all of a sudden not be able to do anything for days. Among the affected components seem to be the ADC Member Center, the developer forums which are the only place you can discuss betas under NDA, SDK downloads, documentation and toolset downloads through Xcode, and probably others. That is pretty crappy. Fortunately I'm not at a point in a project where I need to be accessing the portal, but if I was, I'd be pissed.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:42 PM   #16
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Yeah, if you are going to pull an extended, planned outage like this, you really need to notify people well in advance. When your business relies on Apple's developer portals, you can't afford to just all of a sudden not be able to do anything for days. Among the affected components seem to be the ADC Member Center, the developer forums which are the only place you can discuss betas under NDA, SDK downloads, documentation and toolset downloads through Xcode, and probably others. That is pretty crappy. Fortunately I'm not at a point in a project where I need to be accessing the portal, but if I was, I'd be pissed.
This isn't likely a planned outage, they probably slapped that on because as many devs know, they usually do announce stuff like this weeks in advance.

Something must've gone haywire because I'm willing to bet if this is an overhaul, they had a staging environment all ready to switch over to the public interface and something broke, so they took it off and wants to salvage it rather than going back. It's late enough in the week that they rather do it now.
MikhailT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:04 PM   #17
starnox
macrumors 6502

New Message

Quote:
We apologize that maintenance is taking longer than expected.
If your program membership was set to expire during this period, it has been extended and your app will remain on the App Store. If you have any other concerns about your account, please contact us.

Thank you for your patience.
Definitely not planned.
starnox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:07 PM   #18
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Submitted an update to an app so itunes connect is up atleast.
TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:07 PM   #19
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by starnox View Post
New Message
Definitely not planned.
Yeah, I do see that now when trying to log into the developer portal. However, the message implies the maintenance itself was planned, it's just taking longer than expected. I would have appreciated an advance notice whenever they are going to do maintenance. But when I try to log into the dev forum, I only see "We'll be back soon", which was just a page load error yesterday, and trying to download command-line tools from Xcode yields an even more cryptic error: "The request timed out."
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:33 PM   #20
larcho
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post
This isn't likely a planned outage, they probably slapped that on because as many devs know, they usually do announce stuff like this weeks in advance.

Something must've gone haywire because I'm willing to bet if this is an overhaul, they had a staging environment all ready to switch over to the public interface and something broke, so they took it off and wants to salvage it rather than going back. It's late enough in the week that they rather do it now.
I second that.
larcho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:35 PM   #21
tywebb13
macrumors 65816

Maybe they should change the message to

"We won't be back soon"
tywebb13 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:00 PM   #22
delawn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Overnight where? Not all developers live in North America.

This doesn't smell planned. I am guessing some type of security issue.
delawn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:10 PM   #23
springsup
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
Submitted an update to an app so itunes connect is up atleast.
Incidentally, iTunes Connect is the thing that most needs an overhaul.

Google's store provides fantastic analytics. iTunes Connect tells you basically nothing other than some basic sales statistics.

Apple should at least provide something like TestFlight/FlightPath for the 30% they get. Things like checkpoints would be great to see which features people use most often and to help annotate crash reports.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:10 PM   #24
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Figures the one time I REALLY need to access it its down for two days.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:11 PM   #25
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawn View Post
Overnight where? Not all developers live in North America.
Well, it's been over a full day now, so overnight(+) anywhere.

I agree that something must have gone terribly wrong. Whatever happened, it doesn't seem like they were prepared for it. Just hope no information got blown away permanently, like developer accounts, settings, or the very valuable developer forum posts.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion