Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paintmania

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
I've got a new 5,1 hex core. Just put a samsung 840 pro with icy dock sled in.
Nothing shows on desktop or in disk utilities. Installation seems really straightforward, am I missing a step?

Thanks

GrayHex

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
Nothing shows on desktop or in disk utilities. Installation seems really straightforward, am I missing a step?

Thanks

I had the exact same problem. Same SSD, same dock, MP E'08.

I got it working by taking it out and putting it back into the dock (and by extension, the Mac) several times. It finally just came up and has been working great ever since.

If I had to guess, I would say the dock was not properly connected to the SSD or maybe the dock had trouble with the Mac's HD mount.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States

Thanks

Icy Dock is likely the problem. Those things work well for some people, but not for others.

Try connecting your SSD to the sata cables in your lower optical drive bay---just to make sure it is actually working. You can just lay it in there for the time being.

If the SSD is OK, then consider using an OWC MountPro sled.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
i bought 3 icy docks just in case one was DOA because, my brother once recieved a dead one before and what do you know one of my 3 was DOA and i returned it, the ssd was not being recognized by OSX

paintmania

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Thanks guys,
Did the disconnect and reconnect with restart and it finally came up.

Thanks again for insanely fast response to my prob:)

stmp

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
I have used the Icy Dock successfully and it's a good product, but when the need for a second SSD Mac Pro solution arose, I tried this 2.5" SSD sled from transintl.com:

http://www.transintl.com/mac-pro-enhancements/2-5-hard-drive-sled-for-mac-pro.html

I prefer the sled because it connects the SSD directly to the sata port, so there is no secondary sata connection that has the possibility to fail, as is the issue with the Icy Dock.

Cheers + glad you got it working!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.