Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
It'slillian
macrumors newbie

Question What to do with found busted up iPhone 4?

My son found an iphone 4 (I can't tell if it's 4 or 4s) while swimming in the ocean a week ago. It's completely busted...screen is smashed, showing rust on edges, sand in every place possible, won't even thing about powering on....it looks like it's been in there awhile. My question is what are my options of what to do with it? Appreciate your help!
It'slillian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:53 PM   #2
zmagik
macrumors regular

Recycle it

Last edited by zmagik; Jul 21, 2013 at 02:19 AM.
zmagik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:58 PM   #3
It'slillian
macrumors newbie

It's beyond rice. The power & home buttons won't even let me press them down & there's so much sand in it I can't even get the plug in to try to connect to itunes or charging.
Thanks for trying to help! I appreciate any ideas!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'slillian View Post
My son found an iphone 4 (I can't tell if it's 4 or 4s) while swimming in the ocean a week ago. It's completely busted...screen is smashed, showing rust on edges, sand in every place possible, won't even thing about powering on....it looks like it's been in there awhile. My question is what are my options of what to do with it? Appreciate your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmagik View Post
Put it in a bag of rice maybe that will start it up
OP mentioned it looks as if it was in the water a while, rusted on the edges, and you think rice is the answer ? Salt water, rust, in a while, smashed screen, and sand, not to mention its a possible an older 4 or 4S... I say toss it
SR45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:03 PM   #5
JarScott
macrumors 65816

You're not going to get a useable iPhone out of it. Give up and put it in the bin. Or try to find somewhere which will take it for a small value purely for recycle purposes.
JarScott is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:22 PM   #6
It'slillian
macrumors newbie

Question

Are there places to sell a phone this busted? (sorry for my ignorance, I'm just a mom trying to help her kid do something with his treasure)
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:26 PM   #7
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Throw it on Ebay. Explain in the auction the exact condition. But make it clear you are selling as is, no returns. Maybe get lucky and get a couple of dollars for your child.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:30 PM   #8
kvaughan
macrumors member

The correct answer would be to return it to an Apple store. It will be the best option for a possible return to the owner.

If it was my property I'd like it returned so I can make the decision what to do with it. Pretty sad that others are advocating to sell it.
kvaughan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:38 PM   #9
It'slillian
macrumors newbie

Can Apple identify the owner if it won't power on or allow a plug? I mean this phone does NOTHING!
Again, I really do appreciate all the responses to my post
It'slillian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:52 PM   #10
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvaughan View Post
The correct answer would be to return it to an Apple store. It will be the best option for a possible return to the owner.

If it was my property I'd like it returned so I can make the decision what to do with it. Pretty sad that others are advocating to sell it.
Apple is not going to waste their time looking for the owner. It is not worth it to them to logically do so. Yes it would be nice of Apple, but not going to happen. Besides the owner is not going to be able to put it in for warranty or probably ever repair it. Are they? Little beyond that at this point in time. Hence the advocating to sell it. Not a sad thing, but reality. If it were my phone, it would have been already replaced and I would tell them to sell it as a reward to their child for finding it. Would have been my stupidity for losing it, or even taking it near such a place.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:29 PM   #11
CEmajr
macrumors 68030

Take it to an Apple Store and pay $150 for the out of warranty replacement and then sell the replacement phone for $250 if its a 4. $350 if its a 4S.
CEmajr is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:38 PM   #12
kvaughan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
Take it to an Apple Store and pay $150 for the out of warranty replacement and then sell the replacement phone for $250 if its a 4. $350 if its a 4S.
Wow.
kvaughan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:53 PM   #13
predation
macrumors regular

Quote:
Wow.

thats what i would do.
predation is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:56 PM   #14
TheProFTW
macrumors regular

I would love pics of the phone, for the lulz

Quote:
That idea is so epic, I wonder if it's possible
TheProFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:58 PM   #15
richardbb85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Wow.
i would too
richardbb85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 07:03 AM   #16
CEmajr
macrumors 68030

Yeah it would work. My friend bought an iPhone 5 a few weeks ago off a guy that looked like it had been run over by a car. Took it to Apple and paid the $200 for an out of warranty replacement and they gave him a new one. Not a bad deal.
CEmajr is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:38 AM   #17
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yeah it would work. My friend bought an iPhone 5 a few weeks ago off a guy that looked like it had been run over by a car. Took it to Apple and paid the $200 for an out of warranty replacement and they gave him a new one. Not a bad deal.
That seems really odd for several reasons

1.) All iphone 5's are still technically under warranty, as they haven't even been out for a year yet.

2.) A phone thats been run over by a car is not a manufacturers defect, so it would never fall under warranty replacement in the first place.

Seems like a strange business practice for apple to have. Do you have a link to this program on their site?
CubeHacker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:53 AM   #18
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
Wow.
It was my first thought. If Apple can't/won't find the owner there is no sense of throwing it in the trash if there is profit to be made.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:04 AM   #19
Azzin
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeHacker View Post
That seems really odd for several reasons

1.) All iphone 5's are still technically under warranty, as they haven't even been out for a year yet.

2.) A phone thats been run over by a car is not a manufacturers defect, so it would never fall under warranty replacement in the first place.

Seems like a strange business practice for apple to have. Do you have a link to this program on their site?
It's an "Out Of" Warranty program (a phone that's been run over by a car is not a warranty repair).

$149 for an iPhone 4.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa...product=iphone

Quote:
When setting up out-of-warranty service, Apple will request credit card pre-authorization for the maximum service fee listed above. This amount will be deducted from your credit limit. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. iPhones that are repaired or replaced have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare service contract coverage, whichever is longer. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.
Azzin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:27 AM   #20
Azzin
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'slillian
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmagik View Post
Put it in a bag of rice maybe that will start it up
Azzin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:18 AM   #21
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I'd find some place that would take it and recycle it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:37 AM   #22
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Sell it on eBay as is or spend the $149 for replacement.

I'm sure someone will buy the busted up iPhone for parts or something
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:08 PM   #23
salacious
macrumors 6502a

I would grab some thermite and pour it over the phone... then record it for youtube material
salacious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:15 PM   #24
TheProFTW
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
Sell it on eBay as is or spend the $149 for replacement.

I'm sure someone will buy the busted up iPhone for parts or something
I don't think any parts would survive so much salt water.
TheProFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:17 PM   #25
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProFTW View Post
I don't think any parts would survive so much salt water.
Agreed. Salt water folks, salt......Rust on the iphone as well tells one that it has been in salt water for sometime as well. The phone is toast.... Period
SR45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone