Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zkampyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
3rd Gen Touch with Mt. Lion imac
My ipod has the original iOS 3(?).
My iMac is 2010 Intel 7 upgraded to Mt. Lion and the newest iTunes.

I use my ipod to play music only.

What OS is usuable on the ipod 3rd gen and can I use it with Itunes 11 to back up & load my music onto the ipod from my iMac Mt. Lion X OS?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

What OS is usuable on the ipod 3rd gen and can I use it with Itunes 11 to back up & load my music onto the ipod from my iMac Mt. Lion X OS?

I believe you can. I have windows 7 with the latest iTunes 11 and i can sync my iPod touch 2G with it. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

You can sync a 3rd gen iPod Touch with iTunes 11. I don't know what the earliest version that still works, however, I do know that that the latest verison supported on that model will work fine (5.something).

You could try your iPod touch and see if it will work with that version of iOS and iTunes 11. It might work without updating iOS.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
Yes it will work. Pretty much any iPod will sync with iTunes 11.
The iPod touch 3rd gen is updateable to iOS 5.1.1, but I would recommend staying on the old version if you just use it for music.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Yes it will work. Pretty much any iPod will sync with iTunes 11.
The iPod touch 3rd gen is updateable to iOS 5.1.1, but I would recommend staying on the old version if you just use it for music.

I agree. My Gen3 Touch is too laggy running 5.1.1. It's so bad, I've been stuck removing all the decent apps and just using it for music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.