Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reynevan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Hello guys,

I did jailbreak my iPad 3 (32Gb, 3G) more than a year ago and now I feel a need to upgrade jailbreak to the newest one (6.1.2). I spent couple hours looking for information on different forums, but was unlucky.

To start with upgrade, I downloaded the latest Evasion 1.5.3 version. However I am stuck with instructions, where is written: "Step One: Ensure your iPad is on iOS 6.0 to iOS 6.1.2 then perform a backup of your iPad using these instructions." (Source: iClarified.com) Does it mean I have to upgrade my iPad to ver 6.0 first and only then upgrade to 6.1.2? Or I misunderstand something?

Could you explain me step by step how should I do it? Does this also apply if I want to upgrade my iPhone 4 from 5.1.1 to 6.1.2 or there are different steps?

Additional question: I am a bit concerned about my iPad, I wanted to get ready for the new jailbreak, I backed up my iPad, went to settings and tapped "delete all settings and data", wanting to increase speed of the jailbreaking process. But now my iPad is "thinking (black screen and small circle spinning)" for 2 hours non stop. Is it normal?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
The latest version of iOS available is 6.1.4, not 6.1.2. A jailbreak beyond 6.1.2 does not exist, and given that Apple is no longer signing iOS 6.1.2, you won't even be able to install it on your device, much less jailbreak it.

A jailbreak will not be released for any further versions of iOS 6; any known exploits that still work are being saved for iOS 7 with the hopes that Apple has not patched them so a jailbreak can be created quickly.

To answer your last question, you should NEVER, EVER use the delete all settings & data as a means to wipe a jailbroken iDevice. Expect it to stay in that "thinking" loop for a lot longer. For future reference, you don't need to get your iDevice "ready" for a jailbreak. Just upgrade it and jailbreak it. There was no need to wipe your device. You only need to do that if you're going to sell it or something.

Reynevan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
The latest version of iOS available is 6.1.4, not 6.1.2. A jailbreak beyond 6.1.2 does not exist, and given that Apple is no longer signing iOS 6.1.2, you won't even be able to install it on your device, much less jailbreak it.

A jailbreak will not be released for any further versions of iOS 6; any known exploits that still work are being saved for iOS 7 with the hopes that Apple has not patched them so a jailbreak can be created quickly.

Thank you for information, I will try to stay with my 5.1.1

To answer your last question, you should NEVER, EVER use the delete all settings & data as a means to wipe a jailbroken iDevice. Expect it to stay in that "thinking" loop for a lot longer. For future reference, you don't need to get your iDevice "ready" for a jailbreak. Just upgrade it and jailbreak it. There was no need to wipe your device. You only need to do that if you're going to sell it or something.

Oh man, you scared me. What do you mean by a lot longer? Will it come back to normal state? Will I be able to restore my 5.1.1 with all info on it?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Thank you for information, I will try to stay with my 5.1.1

Oh man, you scared me. What do you mean by a lot longer? Will it come back to normal state? Will I be able to restore my 5.1.1 with all info on it?

I'm not quite sure how long it'll take, I just know that it takes a LOT of time for it to come out of that loop. But once it's done, you'll be able to restore from your backup just fine.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
On jailbroken iOS 5+, the reset all settings does nothing. The device will restart and be stuck at the Apple logo, but force restart it via holding both buttons and it'll startup as if nothing happened. Because nothing happens. Also preforming a wipe device from iCloud/Find My iPhone does nothing as well because they both use the same erase mechanism.

Reynevan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Thanks guys, you answered my questions. Intell, hard reset worked out very well and everything seems fine now. I will wait for iOS 7, we'll see what it'd bring us. Perhaps then I could update/jailbreak my devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.