Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bugsy123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Hi

I'm new to Mac's and bought a new Macbook Pro Retina Display 2 weeks ago and took it offshore to work with me. After setting it up and playing around with it I realised I could read off my normal external USB drives ( that I used to use with my Windows PC ) and copy stuff onto my Macbook Pro.

After looking around online I realised that you could get software to be able to access read/write ( NTFS_3G _ etc. This would be okay but I can't really download anything on the boat I'm working on so I foolishly found a post that
gave me some terminal commands to enable r/w access and tried that, which
surprisingly enough didnt work.

Now, macbook doesnt recognise my usb hard drives at all, they power up and the lights flash but disk utility doesnt see them or recognise them, usb sticks work fine though, I can read and write no problems.

Does anybody know any way I can undo the terminal commands either by
entering different commands to make my macbook have read access to ntfs again ( not bothered about read/write at the minute ) or any other way.

Thanks in advance

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Did you perhaps follow something like this guide to edit /etc/fstab ??

If you did, you are going to need to edit fstab again and remove the "LABEL=”VOLUME_NAME_WITHOUT_QUOTES” none ntfs rw,auto,nobrowse" entry you made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.