Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:36 AM   #1
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502a

New AT&T plan - do we have to use upgrade every year?

Do we have to use this new plan, ATT next if we want to update an iphone every year? can we still buy the phone subsidised or partially subsidised without doing their crazy plan and trade in?
metsjetsfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816

Only time will tell. No one is forcing you to do anything but there is no doubt that many of the carriers are changing the choices.
Lucille Carter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:11 AM   #3
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502a

So assuming as of now we still can. Yeah they could force anything.

Worse comes to worse i guess we can buy unlocked from apple about a month after the phone's release.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4
617aircav
macrumors 68030

You dont. You are better off breaking your contract, or just buying the phone at full price than this scam of a plan.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:16 AM   #5
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

The Verge has a great break down of the new plans offered by T-Mobile, AT&T, & Verizon. It is well worth the read.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/19/45...plans-compared
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502a

Thanks yeah not clear if the old annual upgrade options was available. Guess we'll find out when the new iphone comes out and for people who got the 5 in the past 8-12 months.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 01:54 PM   #7
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsjetsfan View Post
Thanks yeah not clear if the old annual upgrade options was available. Guess we'll find out when the new iphone comes out and for people who got the 5 in the past 8-12 months.
If it's available or not, the edge plan should not be an option for anyone.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Daniel L
macrumors 6502

What annual upgrade are you referring to?
Daniel L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:24 AM   #9
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel L View Post
What annual upgrade are you referring to?
Just paying full price on launch day or partial subsidy. Att

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:37 AM   #10
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Carter View Post
... but there is no doubt that many of the carriers are changing the choices.
Agreed. I'd sit tight right now if I was out of contract. I certainly wouldn't extend any contracts.

I expect this rumored 'cheap iPhone' to shake the market up considerably. I think the carriers expect it too. Why else are they scrambling to push 'good' deals all of a sudden? Somethings changing. Something big. What seems a 'good' deal now may look like golden handcuffs in a few months.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:57 AM   #11
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Agreed. I'd sit tight right now if I was out of contract. I certainly wouldn't extend any contracts.

I expect this rumored 'cheap iPhone' to shake the market up considerably. I think the carriers expect it too. Why else are they scrambling to push 'good' deals all of a sudden? Somethings changing. Something big. What seems a 'good' deal now may look like golden handcuffs in a few months.
That is great point. All these plans could be indication of cheaper priced iphone coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:54 AM   #12
utazdevl
macrumors member

Here is the big concern:

If all the major carriers go this new "early upgrade" route, and make it the new norm and mandatory for all consumers, they have effectively found a way to fleece the consumer of approx $160 per year by effectively ending the premise of the cel phone subsidy in exchange for 2 year contract days. For most people, signing a 2 year contract in exchange for $500 off their phone purchase is a great deal. Most people are not going to change their cel phone provider in less than 2 years anyways, so getting $500 off a phone in exchange for services they were already going to receive is a huge savings.

With the new plans, that subsidy goes away, but the average person is no more likely to switch their carriers. Essentially, they are forfeiting the subsidy (as well as ownership of their phone) for the ability to go to a different carrier at any time, but the other major carriers won't be offering a subsidy either, so there is little to gain from a switch (taking reception and customer service preferences out of the equation).

This is all VERY concerning and could be incredibly costly every consumer.
utazdevl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:37 PM   #13
617aircav
macrumors 68030

These new plans are just there for the mathematically challenged to be fleeced by the carriers.
617aircav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:35 PM   #14
utazdevl
macrumors member

I just came from an AT&T store, and for what its worth, the guy working there said that customers would not be forced into this new upgrade plan, and the previously existing subsidy for 2 year contract plan would still be in effect.

As a side note, he gave me a look when i asked him about the new plan, and then advised me that the new plan is for suckers, which I think we all agree is true.
utazdevl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 05:13 AM   #15
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by utazdevl View Post
Here is the big concern:

If all the major carriers go this new "early upgrade" route, and make it the new norm and mandatory for all consumers, they have effectively found a way to fleece the consumer of approx $160 per year by effectively ending the premise of the cel phone subsidy in exchange for 2 year contract days. For most people, signing a 2 year contract in exchange for $500 off their phone purchase is a great deal. Most people are not going to change their cel phone provider in less than 2 years anyways, so getting $500 off a phone in exchange for services they were already going to receive is a huge savings.

With the new plans, that subsidy goes away, but the average person is no more likely to switch their carriers. Essentially, they are forfeiting the subsidy (as well as ownership of their phone) for the ability to go to a different carrier at any time, but the other major carriers won't be offering a subsidy either, so there is little to gain from a switch (taking reception and customer service preferences out of the equation).

This is all VERY concerning and could be incredibly costly every consumer.
There are carriers who cost way less that AT&T. If you do not like them, tell them by taking your account somewhere else. I have found that over many year that AT&T offered good service for the dollar. The day I do not think so, I will leave.

The price for delux phones and service WILL be going up, just like everything else.
Lucille Carter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone