Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:39 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Apple Store' iOS App Update Coming Tuesday with Free iTunes Store, App Store, and iBookstore Deals

9to5Mac reports that Apple will be releasing an updated version of its Apple Store app for iOS devices on Tuesday, bringing a minor redesign and new tie-ins with iTunes Store, App Store, and iBookstore content. Through the updated app, Apple will offer special deals, making paid content free of charge for users of the app.
Quote:
As you can see in the photo of the upcoming app update (to the right), the app will promote content from the three Apple content stores. This content normally costs money, but will be available free for a limited time via this new app.

Apple, internally, positions this as a way to boost content sales as this new feature is designed to raise awareness about Apps, iTunes, and iBooks content.
The report indicates that the updated app will be part of Apple's effort to focus on iPhone sales in its retail stores, with customers being encouraged to install the app on their new iPhones, exposing to Apple's content offerings.

In the example, shown in the screenshot, Apple is offering free downloads of Color Zen, a new puzzle game normally priced at $0.99.

Apple's focus on iPhone sales is designed to boost the proportion of devices sold in its retail stores from the current level of 20%, although analysts have noted that Apple may have a difficult time achieving that goal given its network of just 250 stores in the United States compared to over 10,000 third-party sales locations such as carrier stores, Best Buy, and RadioShack. According to one U.S. study, 90% of first-time iPhone customers purchase their devices from somewhere other than an Apple retail store.

The company has already begun taking some steps toward enhancing direct iPhone sales, including the device in its annual Back to School program for the first time. Under the program, eligible education customers can receive a $50 gift card good in any of Apple's content stores with the purchase of an iPhone.

Apple is also partnering with recycling firm BrightStar to offer an iPhone trade-in program at its U.S. retail stores. That program will offer instant trade-in credit to customers, hopefully driving upgrade rates as customers will be able to immediately see the net cost of upgrading and take advantage of a simple means for turning in their used devices.

Article Link: 'Apple Store' iOS App Update Coming Tuesday with Free iTunes Store, App Store, and iBookstore Deals
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:43 AM   #2
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

No iPad support still?
dannyyankou is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Apple needs to massively expand their store count if they want to be selling directly to customers more. Their nearest store to me is 50 miles away. I have an AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart all within 5 miles. In fact, with the exception of Target, I have 2 of each within 5 miles of me. If I expand to being 15 miles away, I have 2 Targets (and like 5 Walmarts...)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:48 AM   #4
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

Anyone else notice in that screenshot they are advertising the Retina MacBook Pro and Mac Mini?

Maybe updates are coming Tuesday also.
zedsdead is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:52 AM   #5
ccmovies
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
Anyone else notice in that screenshot they are advertising the Retina MacBook Pro and Mac Mini?

They're also advertising the iPad mini and iPhone 5........
ccmovies is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:53 AM   #6
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:

Or they are just pushing those items in their sales focus.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:56 AM   #7
phillies262834
macrumors member

You know it's real when the time is 9:41 A.M.
phillies262834 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:00 AM   #8
snebes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Apple needs to massively expand their store count if they want to be selling directly to customers more. Their nearest store to me is 50 miles away. I have an AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart all within 5 miles. In fact, with the exception of Target, I have 2 of each within 5 miles of me. If I expand to being 15 miles away, I have 2 Targets (and like 5 Walmarts...)
You're living it wrong. Time to move.

I have 2 Apple stores within 15 minutes of me.

I still order online. Whats it matter to you, anyway? With all of those stores, and I assume some RatShacks, you have every Apple item you could need within 5 miles. Just not their "genius" bars.
snebes is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:01 AM   #9
jimsowden
macrumors 68000

They should offer a "now playing" feature. (Not sure if this is well known, but all apple stores over the world are playing the same music at the same time, as is the Apple hold music on Applecare. All from the same source.)
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:03 AM   #10
jglonek
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebes View Post

I still order online. Whats it matter to you, anyway? With all of those stores, and I assume some RatShacks, you have every Apple item you could need within 5 miles. Just not their "genius" bars.
Did ya miss part of the post?

Tim Cook wants the majority of Apple sales to come from their own retail stores. ArtOfWarfare is stating that yeah, he isn't driving 50 miles to buy something from an Apple Store with all the other options. So Tim Cook has a lot to do to achieve that goal.
jglonek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:08 AM   #11
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglonek View Post
Did ya miss part of the post?

Tim Cook wants the majority of Apple sales to come from their own retail stores. ArtOfWarfare is stating that yeah, he isn't driving 50 miles to buy something from an Apple Store with all the other options. So Tim Cook has a lot to do to achieve that goal.
I have four Apple stores within 30 minutes of me. I refuse to go to any of them. last time I was at one, I had ordered an iPhone online and went to the store to pick it up. Took 30 minutes to see anyone to get my phone with the stupid check in system they had.

Maybe their intentions were that it would make me want to look at computers or iPads to buy one but I just stood there waiting.
JackieInCo is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:10 AM   #12
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

This is a good first step. There's still more left to do if you want to boost iPhone sales but the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Let's go Apple.
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:21 AM   #13
JarJarThomas
Banned

i don't understand all the rants about apple stores.
Especially the new mobile payment system is just great.
EVERYONE can be your cashier. You don't have to wait in a line to pay something. You go to one of the blueshirts. Say "Hi i would like to have", he says ok, brings the thing for you and you can pay.
On the other side ... you would have to search for the item, take it, wait in line to checkout and need longer.

i would like to have a similar shopping system everywhere.

The only thing that you could say against is "ieeeh i have to talk to a human"
JarJarThomas is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

I hope the special deals are not USA only.
Moonjumper is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:26 AM   #15
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarJarThomas View Post
i don't understand all the rants about apple stores.
Especially the new mobile payment system is just great.
EVERYONE can be your cashier. You don't have to wait in a line to pay something. You go to one of the blueshirts. Say "Hi i would like to have", he says ok, brings the thing for you and you can pay.
On the other side ... you would have to search for the item, take it, wait in line to checkout and need longer.

i would like to have a similar shopping system everywhere.

The only thing that you could say against is "ieeeh i have to talk to a human"
Bought my macbook pro at the 5th ave store in manhattan in the middle of the day on a thursday. Had no problems, suffered no annoyances and yes it was crowded as hell. People just like to complain everything has to be done for them it's not possible to approach a blue shirt tell him ur in a hurry and u need x. Rarely is there a time when there isn't a free blue shirt u just gotta take the initiative and approach them if you want it done quickly, much like everything else in life I might add.
appleisking is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:32 AM   #16
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Possibly add ios 7 support now and full support when it comes out?
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:44 AM   #17
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsowden View Post
They should offer a "now playing" feature. (Not sure if this is well known, but all apple stores over the world are playing the same music at the same time, as is the Apple hold music on Applecare. All from the same source.)
And it's all so loud that I can't hear a thing the sales clerk is saying to me.

Seriously, the worst thing about the Apple Store experience is the blaring "music."
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:50 AM   #18
scotty321
macrumors regular

This seems like a very misplaced focus for Apple and Tim Cook. Who cares if the sales are coming from Apple Stores, as long as people are buying iPhones? Tim Cook needs to focus on INNOVATION, not silly sales tactics that sound like they're coming out of Steve Ballmer's playbook.
scotty321 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:55 AM   #19
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post
This seems like a very misplaced focus for Apple and Tim Cook. Who cares if the sales are coming from Apple Stores, as long as people are buying iPhones? Tim Cook needs to focus on INNOVATION, not silly sales tactics that sound like they're coming out of Steve Ballmer's playbook.
Well I mean they can do two things at once right? The two aren't mutually exclusive.
appleisking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:57 AM   #20
matty.p
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
And it's all so loud that I can't hear a thing the sales clerk is saying to me.

Seriously, the worst thing about the Apple Store experience is the blaring "music."
I guess I've never even noticed they play music? I agree they're usually a zoo but if anything Apple is too efficient. I like to wander and look around but I walk in immediately get asked how I can get helped, and within 3 minutes I've got it, paid and have a little white bag and an e-mailed receipt. It makes it hard for me to gawk! :P
matty.p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:13 AM   #21
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

I guess iPad support is never going to come, then.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:21 AM   #22
SusanK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Cook does not know how to do that so he focuses on textbook classis bean counting. Remove ambient sensor from iPod Touch, remove rear camera, and the beat goes on.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:24 AM   #23
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yes, most of the chain stores that sell apple devices way outnumber the Apple stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebes View Post

The closest Apple store to me is 100 miles away. Apple is starting a campaign to try to sell more iPhones in its own Apple stores. I think that he might be talking about.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:34 AM   #24
Mr. C
macrumors newbie

Quote:

iPad mini refresh - probably not retina
Mr. C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:41 AM   #25
iapplelove
Banned

I have an apple store literally in my back yard I could walk to it. And they give amazing customer service
iapplelove is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion