Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renosausage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I've been using an iCarbons skin on my rMBP since day one.

I love this skin, but lately I've been desiring a change.

I thought about removing the skin, but i'm afraid of scratching the aluminum finish.

How easily does the finish scratch?

Does anyone have a bunch of scratches on their rMBPs so far?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I've been using an iCarbons skin on my rMBP since day one.

I love this skin, but lately I've been desiring a change.

I thought about removing the skin, but i'm afraid of scratching the aluminum finish.

How easily does the finish scratch?

Does anyone have a bunch of scratches on their rMBPs so far?

Aluminum is a rather soft metal, it scratches quite easily. The MBP is hard anodized, so if you're scratching the finish, you're also scratching the aluminum under it.

I've never bothered with skins and stuff like that, they seem completely useless and cumbersome to me. Mine has quite a few hairline scratches on the bottom due to being used on less than clean desks, and honestly, I don't give a crap.

I bought my machine to use it, not to stare at it all day.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
The aluminum will scratch and dent easily but not as long as your careful with it. I have had mine for a few months now and have had no issues with it.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I have a speck clear smartcase on my MacBook retina and I'm so glad I got it. A few months ago my 17 month old son pulled on the mag safe and it along with the MacBook went flying off the kitchen table onto the floor. It landed upside down . The ONLY damage was to the case with a few scratches. The MacBook was flawless. I'm not going to risk taking my speck case off :)

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Pretty easy honestly. I treat mine well but **** happens and small things rub against it sometimes and it happens.

I use an iCarbons now and I'm pretty happy with it, doesn't even look bad

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
My MacBook Air that I've had for 8-9 months doesn't have a single visible scratch on display or machine. I just used a sleeved. This included taking it to lessons, and traveling quite a fair bit, and even using it drunk a couple of times. (Last was not clever, but I tend to be carefully anyway). :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.