Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
I am having a hard time deciding here. These are first world pains I know. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated. So firstly I know the smartest decision would be to just wait 4-5 months for the Nexus 5. Unfortunately, patience is not one of my strong points.

Both of these devices have already shipped from Google and are on their way.

I threw together a little list of the S4 GPE advantages over the Nexus 4 and visa versa.

S4:
1080p screen
Faster processor
Bigger battery and battery life
Removable battery (would I use this?)
Accessories (backs, cases, batteries,etc)
SD card (would I use this?)
IR blaster
Bigger screen
Physical home button for waking
Better speaker
LTE
Higher resale value (could sell for more than the Nexus 5 cost most likely. That's if I want the Nexus 5. Okay who am I kidding of course I'll want the Nexus 5)
Lighter

N4:
Better build quality is much better
On screen buttons (can be added to the S4)
$300 cheaper (I could buy a Nexus 4 AND and Nexus 5 for almost the same price as the S4 GPE)
I like the screen brightness and whiteness better
Better one handed use
Black

What could the Nexus 5 have over the S4 GPE? Better screen (IMO), build quality, price, maybe better processor? I am trying to think what else.

As I said before your help is much appreciated!!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
From my own experience with the Nexus 4, I wouldn't purchase nor recommend the Nexus 4 unless money was an issue.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
From my own experience with the Nexus 4, I wouldn't purchase nor recommend the Nexus 4 unless money was an issue.

You would think I would know this by now. I sent two Nexus 4's back because of touch issues and ear piece issues. I would hope those would be gone by now but who knows.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You would think I would know this by now. I sent two Nexus 4's back because of touch issues and ear piece issues. I would hope those would be gone by now but who knows.

Apparently 4.3 fixes the touch issues. If money is no issue the s4 will obviously be better. The question is.....is it $350 better

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
If you can afford it, I would also recommend the S4 Google Edition.

Thanks!

----------

Apparently 4.3 fixes the touch issues. If money is no issue the s4 will obviously be better. The question is.....is it $350 better

Yes I did hear that it helps with touch responsiveness. Is it $350 better? Sigh lol I kind of hate spending $700 when I know I don't prefer this screen type or hardware. But I think I could get used to it. I already tried the HTC One GPE so the S4 is my last chance.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks!

----------

Yes I did hear that it helps with touch responsiveness. Is it $350 better? Sigh lol I kind of hate spending $700 when I know I don't prefer this screen type or hardware. But I think I could get used to it. I already tried the HTC One GPE so the S4 is my last chance.

Plus it looks like in the next few months there will actually be good mid range phones coming at hopefully sub $400 contract free.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
GS4 GE. Especially if you are OK with spending that much.

The Nexus 4 is an overrated POS device.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
S4 GE is the better option. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Google really needs to sell that thing outside the US. I hope that, if nothing else, they announce international availability for GE devices at their upcoming event. I'd love to have that powerhouse hardware with the TouchWiz crap removed. If not I'll just get the normal one and flash CM when it becomes stable I guess, or at least stable enough for phone calls to work properly :p

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'd keep the S4 if I was sure I was going to keep it, but I definitely would have waited until the Moto X announcement - but seeing as you are within a returns period for both devices, I'd just keep whichever you prefer yourself, and then if the Moto X rocks your boat, I'd get one of them too :p

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
S4 GE is the better option. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Google really needs to sell that thing outside the US. I hope that, if nothing else, they announce international availability for GE devices at their upcoming event. I'd love to have that powerhouse hardware with the TouchWiz crap removed. If not I'll just get the normal one and flash CM when it becomes stable I guess, or at least stable enough for phone calls to work properly :p

I'm with you! Make it international!

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Comparing a Nexus 4 to a GE S4 is like comparing a Buick to a 7 series BMW. Of course the BMW is going to be better. It's over twice the price. That doesn't mean the Buick is bad.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
I'd keep the S4 if I was sure I was going to keep it, but I definitely would have waited until the Moto X announcement - but seeing as you are within a returns period for both devices, I'd just keep whichever you prefer yourself, and then if the Moto X rocks your boat, I'd get one of them too :p

Haha thanks. The Moto X isn't exciting me for some reason. All signs point to mid range. Not that it won't be a great phone though.

----------

Definitely the S4! The only thing I like more about my Nexus 4 is the size but everything else the S4 beats it IMO.

Seems to be the consensus! I'll give it a shot!

----------

Comparing a Nexus 4 to a GE S4 is like comparing a Buick to a 7 series BMW. Of course the BMW is going to be better. It's over twice the price. That doesn't mean the Buick is bad.

Lol I love the car analogy. You are right though buicks are really nice now. Speaking of is there a car section on this forum?? I know it's an apple tech site but still.

Last edited:

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
I think the general consensus is right on for suggesting the S4, but I would point out to you - don't forget about a stock S4 (if you can buy on contract). There are literally dozens of AOSP/AOKP roms, and even Google Play 4.3 roms out there for stock S4's. And who knows, you may even like some of the features of Touchwiz :p;)

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
poor battery, questionable build quality, poor RF performance, poor screen, and so on.

Battery life is poor. Screen is great I think. Build quality is great except for the ear piece problem that I had.

----------

I think the general consensus is right on for suggesting the S4, but I would point out to you - don't forget about a stock S4 (if you can buy on contract). There are literally dozens of AOSP/AOKP roms, and even Google Play 4.3 roms out there for stock S4's. And who knows, you may even like some of the features of Touchwiz :p;)

I'm on contract until December 2014. :-( I don't ever want to sign a contract again. Otherwise I would definitely consider that option.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Good choice avoiding contracts. I've always been the same, I buy all my phones outright, it's always worth it to get the phone unlocked and unbranded without bloatware while saving massively on your monthly costs.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I've been using a Nexus 4 for a month or so now, and I'd say go for the S4. Build quality on the S4 is superiors to the Nexus, I hate to say. Even with the plastic back the the S4 has a solid (although lighter) I envy with my creaking Nexus 4. The nagging software issues Google has acknowledge but failed to fix haven't helped the situation either.

If you're on a budget the Nexus 4 isn't a bad choice, but the S4 is an overall better piece of hardware.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
I've been using a Nexus 4 for a month or so now, and I'd say go for the S4. Build quality on the S4 is superiors to the Nexus, I hate to say. Even with the plastic back the the S4 has a solid (although lighter) I envy with my creaking Nexus 4. The nagging software issues Google has acknowledge but failed to fix haven't helped the situation either.

If you're on a budget the Nexus 4 isn't a bad choice, but the S4 is an overall better piece of hardware.

Thanks for the advice!

----------

Thanks everyone for the advice. The S4 GPE delivers Monday. I'm going to give it a try. This will be my third Samsung try. (2 S3's) I know the screen is great but just different than what I'm used to. The plastic isn't my favorite but ill just throw a case on. The internals are beastly as we all know and stock android is great. I'm getting excited. I am fortunate to be able to afford it so there is no need to get last years tech. If I must have the Nexus 5 I'll sell the S4 GPE.

My first order of business will be a case and my second order will be disabling the capacitive keys and adding on screen buttons if this can still be done. This will leave the physical home button for waking up the device, which I love.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
OP, if you can wait a couple of weeks, you might want the Moto X. It's supposed to be a mid-ranger so the unlocked price might fall between the Nexus 4 and S4 GE price.

Happy medium, perhaps?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
What I don't get is why the nexus 4 gets much worse battery life than phones with the same battery size and processor. Even the optimus g does much better. I wish google had stuck with samsung for the nexus 4.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
What I don't get is why the nexus 4 gets much worse battery life than phones with the same battery size and processor. Even the optimus g does much better. I wish google had stuck with samsung for the nexus 4.

And I wish they would go back to them for the next Nexus. At least then we'll know for sure that Samsung will be able to meet the demand and we won't have a debacle like we did when the Nexus 4 was released.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
OP, if you can wait a couple of weeks, you might want the Moto X. It's supposed to be a mid-ranger so the unlocked price might fall between the Nexus 4 and S4 GE price.

Happy medium, perhaps?

Perhaps. I'll take a look at the announcement and early reviews. That will still be within my return policy. But like you said. Mid range. It kind of throws me off. But I'm not saying it won't be great. And a big question for me is if it will be sold in the play store and updated immediately. Probably a yes but we don't know just yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.