Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Silly iPad! Find my iPhone issue...

My iPad mini almost gave me a heart attack last night. We usually take our minis to dinner and the kids watch or play with them during dinner. Last night, we left quickly and I only had my mini in my purse. My son asked to use it so I obliged. When I got home. I looked for my iPad... It wasn't in the purse. I went to find my iPhone and looked for it and for the first time it was gone. All my other devices were there. I freaked out... Called the restaurant where we eat at least twice a week...they know us well... It wasn't there. My husband went back and looked too. He came back and while I got the kids ready for bed, he looked all over the house. He found it in or playroom. I guess I had put it in my purse and not realized it since I had a bunch of things to pack up at the table and one of my little critters must have taken it out of my purse when I got home. I'm feeling a little guilty that I felt so angry that someone had taken it and not turned it in... But when it didn't show up on find my iPhone... I assumed someone had turned it off.

Anyway... I'm thrilled it is found but am wondering why it didn't show up on my account. It was in a spot where it had plenty of reception? I had marked it to notify me when it was found and as soon as we turned it on it notified me.

Last edited by tl01; Jul 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
tl01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:39 AM   #2
chumawumba
Banned

What's the point of this thread again?
chumawumba is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
Anyway... I'm thrilled it is found but am wondering why it didn't show up on my account. It was in a spot where it had plenty of reception. I had marked it to notify me when it was found and as soon as we turned it on it notified me.
By "turned it on" do you mean you woke it from sleep, or was it completely off? If it was completely off, of course it wouldn't show up in Find My iPhone.
Night Spring is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:42 PM   #4
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
What's the point of this thread again?
Uhh... Did you read the whole thing? Or were you skimming...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
By "turned it on" do you mean you woke it from sleep, or was it completely off? If it was completely off, of course it wouldn't show up in Find My iPhone.
Sorry... It was just asleep.. Put to sleep with a Smart Cover. When we opened it is when it sent the message it was found.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Ledgem
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sorry... It was just asleep.. Put to sleep with a Smart Cover. When we opened it is when it sent the message it was found.
This deals with power management on iOS devices. They will remain connected to wifi networks as long as they are plugged in to a power source, but things get iffy when they're running on battery power. The wifi connection shuts off and presumably comes back on for updates at various times. The specifics are probably available somewhere online.

My guess is that it depends on the device and also the device's remaining battery power. I note that my iPhone will disconnect from the wifi network after a few minutes, reconnecting when I activate the screen. My iPads seem to always be connected, but I rarely allow the battery to reach a low level.
Ledgem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:21 PM   #6
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
This deals with power management on iOS devices. They will remain connected to wifi networks as long as they are plugged in to a power source, but things get iffy when they're running on battery power. The wifi connection shuts off and presumably comes back on for updates at various times. The specifics are probably available somewhere online.

My guess is that it depends on the device and also the device's remaining battery power. I note that my iPhone will disconnect from the wifi network after a few minutes, reconnecting when I activate the screen. My iPads seem to always be connected, but I rarely allow the battery to reach a low level.
Interesting. I hadn't noticed this before. It had about 40% battery. Usually when I look up my devices it always shows them when they were on in the house. Perhaps it was a temporary glitch. Sort of defeated its purpose in the time of need.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:38 PM   #7
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Interesting. I hadn't noticed this before. It had about 40% battery. Usually when I look up my devices it always shows them when they were on in the house. Perhaps it was a temporary glitch. Sort of defeated its purpose in the time of need.
What type of ipad?

Does the restraunt have wifi?

How long was the ipad at home?
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 04:40 AM   #8
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
What type of ipad?

Does the restraunt have wifi?

How long was the ipad at home?
iPad mini. The restaurant does have wifi but I didn't connect to it. The iPad was at home for about 1 hour before we found it.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
iPad mini. The restaurant does have wifi but I didn't connect to it. The iPad was at home for about 1 hour before we found it.
There is/was the issue. Being off wifi for that time period would knock its tracking off. When u got home I'm guessing that the kids didn't remove it from your bag because it hadn't been woken to search for wifi.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 01:50 AM   #10
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

I turned off at "kids with Minis at dinner" purely because of my opinions on this.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:21 AM   #11
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
I turned off at "kids with Minis at dinner" purely because of my opinions on this.
When the alternative is screaming fidgety kids disturbing neighboring diners I'm all for iPads at dinner. Not every child can exercise self-control for an entire meal out without a diversion (mine certainly couldn't, but they didn't have distracting toys when they were kids).
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad