Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kennyman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2011
US
Hello,

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 2010 Version at work, it is the single CPU (Xeon 4 Cores, 8 Threads) model. I recently came across a used 2 x CPU tray 2010 Model for MP (with no cpus). Does anyone has any experience in trying dual CPU tray in single cpu MP *2010 Model?

I actually have a dual CPU MP at home (Xeon 8 Cores) but since my knowledge about hardware is limited, I am afraid of bringing my dual cpu tray to office to try it. I do not want to kill my cpu tray/my mac at work, my IT team will go ballistic on me.

As I know there are many knowledgeable people on the forum, I would like to seek for your advice before proceeding any further. Please, share your experience:)

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
if they're from the same year 2010 single to 2010 dual it should work. What matters the most is the SMC firmware versions are the same.

kennyman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2011
US
if they're from the same year 2010 single to 2010 dual it should work. What matters the most is the SMC firmware versions are the same.

Thanks for your reply, I cannot check SMC firmware of the 2 x cpu processor tray, also I found this from a MAC junk shop in my area, but I have been assured that it works and I can have a full refund within 24 hours if it does not work. I think I will dive in, I will test the cpu tray on my MP first to see if it works.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I have 2 @ 4,1 that are 5,1 flashed. I can switch out the CPU trays on a whim. One is loaded with Dual 5680s that can keep up with the new iTrashCan while the other has a single Quad core.

My understanding is that 4,1 flashed to 5,1 still needs 4,1 tray but any 5,1 can take any 5,1 tray.

kennyman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2011
US
I have 2 @ 4,1 that are 5,1 flashed. I can switch out the CPU trays on a whim. One is loaded with Dual 5680s that can keep up with the new iTrashCan while the other has a single Quad core.

My understanding is that 4,1 flashed to 5,1 still needs 4,1 tray but any 5,1 can take any 5,1 tray.

Thank you for your reply, I visited the shop and they have sold the cpu tray:(

I guess I should have purchase it earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.