Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:46 PM   #1
macmaniac75
macrumors newbie

Warning: Max Payne 3 for Mac, on Steam, does not launch!

I'm sure some of you knows that but since july 9th, Max payne 3 for mac sold on STEAM does not launch !!! whatever your mac, your OS x, your configuration !!!

Steam does not seem to really care about it and its customer service is VERY poor.

The worst for me is that STEAM keeps going on selling the game !!!

so wait before buying.
macmaniac75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:51 PM   #2
blasto2236
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmaniac75 View Post
I'm sure some of you knows that but since july 9th, Max payne 3 for mac sold on STEAM does not launch !!! whatever your mac, your OS x, your configuration !!!

Steam does not seem to really care about it and its customer service is VERY poor.

so wait before buying.
Well, I'd imagine they keep selling it because the Windows version "works" (in quotes because it has its own issues), and since it's a Steamplay title I don't know that they could remove one without removing both.

Having said that, even if Steam patches the problem on their end, it's still an AWFUL port riddled with bugs and with botched 360 controller support. Evidently this developer has a history of fixing absolutely nothing, so good luck getting it to run at all outside of Windows.

I've pretty much given up on ever being able to play this game. My PS3 died on me the day I brought it home, then I re-bought it on Windows and could never get past the Rockstar sign-in, then when the OS X release came I was sure I'd FINALLY get to play it...and I still can't. I've pretty much decided the universe does not want me to enjoy this game.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:16 PM   #3
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Do you have a non standard steam library location?
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Celtic Warrior
macrumors member

It does not run on my mac as well, I expect get update from rockstar to make it compatible with mac. Probably it worked on Mac for a while, which I did not purchase in that time, however since I have purchased on steam discount. It does not even open itself.
Celtic Warrior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Washac
macrumors 68000

Quote:

so wait before buying.
I see people are still learning what steam is all about.

Last edited by Washac; Jul 20, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Washac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Nermal

Same here, but Rockstar is aware of the issue.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:00 AM   #7
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Apparently a Steam update broke it, and if you can find an older copy of steam you can get it to work again (check the game's steam forum.)
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

It will get fixed. Steam is not going to keep selling something to Mac users that works for none of them because of a known issue. If ever there was a case where "patience is a virtue" it is with computer gaming.

Everyone experiencing this problem should submit a support ticket to ensure they are aware of the problem, etc. although I suspect with an issue this widespread they already are.

Steam is not evil and out to screw anyone nor is Rockstar.

I own this game too by the way. I have other games to play until this gets sorted. I'm sure everyone else does too.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Confusius
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
I own this game too by the way. I have other games to play until this gets sorted. I'm sure everyone else does too.
Yes - that's what the recent Steam summer sale was all about (and still is for a few more hours). FTL, here I come.
Confusius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:31 PM   #10
macmaniac75
macrumors newbie

Patience ?! no real answer to my ticket, no customer support and I, customer of a product which should have been tested before to sell, should be patient.

I could have been patient if I got at least an answer to my requests in accordance with what a real customer service is : an decent email saying at least that they made a mistake and are dealing actively on the problem. But I got instead indifference.

There are out there game companies which are far far more preoccupied by their customer satisfaction !

For me it is clear : no more games on steam !
macmaniac75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:40 PM   #11
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Many companies sell games on Steam so I would suggest you just avoid games from companies who don't reply to your problems or don't give you the service you expect not all the companies on Steam.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:50 PM   #12
FrancoisC
macrumors Demi-God

So, the company who make the game made an update that broke it, and you blame steam?

I agree that their costumer support is far from perfect, but you could try to contact whoever made the game and tell them about this latest update.

technically, Steam is just a distributor, so unless you contact them about bugs in their own games (half-life, portal, etc...) I don't think they'll help you.

Best case scenario I guess they'll forward you email to the game producer
FrancoisC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Patience ?! no real answer to my ticket, no customer support and I, customer of a product which should have been tested before to sell, should be patient.

I could have been patient if I got at least an answer to my requests in accordance with what a real customer service is : an decent email saying at least that they made a mistake and are dealing actively on the problem. But I got instead indifference.

There are out there game companies which are far far more preoccupied by their customer satisfaction !

I can only agree with the OP's statement that Steam's customer service is TERRIBLE. Worse yet: VIRTUALLY NONEXISTENT, even/particularly for their own games.

The "solution" for us customers is always to rely on their goodwill and wait for a bug-patch in the "near future" - even their user forums are ridiculously useless for any troubleshooting.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoisC View Post
So, the company who make the game made an update that broke it, and you blame steam?
Steam updated their client, which broke the game.
Cougarcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 04:21 PM   #15
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusius View Post
Yes - that's what the recent Steam summer sale was all about (and still is for a few more hours). FTL, here I come.
Don't do it! Don't buy FTL. I made that mistake and I've lost all of my free time. I still have nightmares about running out of fuel in Sector 8.

I'd suggest taking up something less addictive, such as heroin.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:32 PM   #16
Golem
macrumors 6502

Max Payne 3 was working fine for me a couple of weeks ago, I did not really get into it and have been playing a lot of civ 5 since that came out but it was working.
Golem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:47 PM   #17
FrancoisC
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
Steam updated their client, which broke the game.

Oh that's bad :/

But on a related note, I think I saw something about game not launching in the latest beta, hope it fixes it!
FrancoisC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 09:21 PM   #18
Celtic Warrior
macrumors member

It's been a almost 2 weeks that issue still goes. Rockstar is definitely aware of it though they did not do anything neither update or info.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:41 PM   #19
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Have you all tried going into your Steam applications folder and launching the game without the client?
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 04:23 AM   #20
TheGreatWumpus
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Skype™ to TheGreatWumpus
Apparently the problem was the Mac steam client getting an update shortly after the game's release. According to this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/204100...1081167108/#p1 reverting to an older version of steam fixes the problem.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 03:01 PM   #21
monokitty
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatWumpus View Post
Apparently the problem was the Mac steam client getting an update shortly after the game's release. According to this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/204100...1081167108/#p1 reverting to an older version of steam fixes the problem.
I don't know understand why Steam is dragging their feet on patching the issue and releasing an updated client.
monokitty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 04:36 PM   #22
anomie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
I see people are still learning what steam is all about.
Beeing the best gaming platform with the best game discounts ever? I agree.
And yeah, sometimes bad things happen even there.
anomie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 04:47 PM   #23
allfunandgames
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Don't do it! Don't buy FTL. I made that mistake and I've lost all of my free time. I still have nightmares about running out of fuel in Sector 8.

I'd suggest taking up something less addictive, such as heroin.
So true!
Old Jul 23, 2013, 07:27 PM   #24
imacken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by monokitty View Post
I don't know understand why Steam is dragging their feet on patching the issue and releasing an updated client.
It's not a Steam issue but a Rockstar one. Apparently, they have now released a fix.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:51 PM   #25
Celtic Warrior
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
It's not a Steam issue but a Rockstar one. Apparently, they have now released a fix.
Certainly it works right now, I have waited for that update 1,5 week which is released right now, late is better than never. I upgraded graphic and resolution although I do not think my mac is going to handle this. ( Macbook pro 17 inch 2011 late)

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games