Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waboosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Hey there, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to upgrade to a 15in from my 13in.

I currently have a 2011 macbook pro with 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram 256ssd running apps and os and then a 500gb 5400rpm (i think thats right) running my other files.

I don't mind the size because when I edit on the road with the artists i travel with it's nice to have a smaller size, but I could live with the 15 if it would help that much more.

I wouldn't be able to upgrade much right away so it would take me some time before that happened but is the quad cores and screen size really worth it?

this is all in relation to video editing, I use premiere and after effects, along with lightroom and photoshop

just trying to get some opinions, Thanks!

also, considering waiting till I settle down and buy an imac in 2 or so years

Nov 28, 2010
located
The faster CPU and bigger screen, especially with more real estate in the High Resolution model (BTO in the Apple Online Store), will definitely help with editing.

I have a 17" MBP and now a Hackintosh for my editing needs, both have 1920 x 1200 pixel. Even for AE and editing (Media Composer) it is not really enough screen real estate and for the current project I use my old 20" iMac with 1680 x 1050 pixel as extra display for palettes in AE and MC.

You could also look into the 13" Retina MacBook Pro, which gives you 1680 x 1050 pixel screen real estate. It does not have a quad core CPU or dedicated GPU but for jobs with no short deadlines it can be quite capable.

waboosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
The faster CPU and bigger screen, especially with more real estate in the High Resolution model (BTO in the Apple Online Store), will definitely help with editing.

I have a 17" MBP and now a Hackintosh for my editing needs, both have 1920 x 1200 pixel. Even for AE and editing (Media Composer) it is not really enough screen real estate and for the current project I use my old 20" iMac with 1680 x 1050 pixel as extra display for palettes in AE and MC.

You could also look into the 13" Retina MacBook Pro, which gives you 1680 x 1050 pixel screen real estate. It does not have a quad core CPU or dedicated GPU but for jobs with no short deadlines it can be quite capable.

so would the quad core be faster than my current setup is i guess what im wondering and is worth setting me back on an eventual edit only desktop

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
so would the quad core be faster than my current setup is i guess what im wondering and is worth setting me back on an eventual edit only desktop

yes, it is faster, and yes quad core is quickly becoming the norm. My advice is to upgrade while you have the money.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
quad core is nice but the computer you listed is really nice too. Its by no means outdated. Maybe if you had a core 2 duo or something id say go for it. but you already have an i7.

if time is critical to you then go ahead an upgrade. video editing software benefits from extra cores. If it was me i would keep the machine you got for another year.

there are quite alot of people here who turn over machines every year. I tried that for awhile and all it did really was keep me in debt. it didnt really help my workflow that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.