Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 21, 2013, 03:28 AM   #1
dannyhansen
macrumors newbie

MLB.tv Blackouts

Signed up for MLB.tv premium service today without reading the fine details that all of the local team games (home and away) are blacked out.... Is there a work around? Frustrated that when I called the support line they told me I could watch the game 90 minutes after it was over.
dannyhansen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 04:25 AM   #2
institute
macrumors regular

You will have to get a DNS service like Unblockus, for $5 or so a month it will allow you to circumvent MLB blackouts.
institute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:49 PM   #3
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

Yeah without the blackouts i would ditch cable, is that DNS service reliable?
JoeShades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShades View Post
Yeah without the blackouts i would ditch cable, is that DNS service reliable?
I've been using unblock.us here in Mexico for several years and they had problems one time for a few hours. I will call that very satisfactory in my mind.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:16 PM   #5
DaveNinja
macrumors regular

I've used unblock-us for the past 2 seasons to watch my local market games without a problem
Old Jul 22, 2013, 02:00 PM   #6
zachlegomaniac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhansen View Post
Signed up for MLB.tv premium service today without reading the fine details that all of the local team games (home and away) are blacked out.... Is there a work around? Frustrated that when I called the support line they told me I could watch the game 90 minutes after it was over.
+1 for unblock-us
zachlegomaniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 02:39 PM   #7
linds15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachlegomaniac View Post
+1 for unblock-us
Another +1 from me. Never had a problem during football season.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Stosh68
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhansen View Post
One last thing to keep in mind, is that in addition to local "home team" blackouts that are easily solved by a VPN, there are also national blackouts. For example, the Fox Saturday afternoon game and the Sunday night ESPN games are not available live on mlb.tv to USA viewers. If you're going to use an international proxy to get around this, make sure the one you're routing through has enough bandwidth to get an acceptable stream/picture.
Stosh68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 03:40 PM   #9
slu
macrumors 65816

This looks really great. For $5/month I could certainly get by with MLB and NBA on the AppleTV. Thanks guys!! I can't wait to try it.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 04:54 PM   #10
linds15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slu View Post
This looks really great. For $5/month I could certainly get by with MLB and NBA on the AppleTV. Thanks guys!! I can't wait to try it.
Doesn't work with nba. MLB nfl and NHL are fine though. For nba I AirPlay from my ipad with hotspot shield
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:36 PM   #11
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

why does it not work with nba?[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by linds15 View Post
Doesn't work with nba. MLB nfl and NHL are fine though. For nba I AirPlay from my ipad with hotspot shield
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:31 AM   #12
cavemonkey50
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh68 View Post
One last thing to keep in mind, is that in addition to local "home team" blackouts that are easily solved by a VPN, there are also national blackouts. For example, the Fox Saturday afternoon game and the Sunday night ESPN games are not available live on mlb.tv to USA viewers. If you're going to use an international proxy to get around this, make sure the one you're routing through has enough bandwidth to get an acceptable stream/picture.
Not an issue with unblock-us. I see Saturday afternoon and Sunday night games in full HD quality.
Apple TV 3
cavemonkey50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:39 AM   #13
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

there are also free ways to change your DNS location if you are jailbroken. Can't think of it offhand but they are easily searchable. The location blackout problem is a fairly easy workaround. If the game is blacked out nationally then try firstrowsports dot com.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:43 AM   #14
linds15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemonkey50 View Post
Not an issue with unblock-us. I see Saturday afternoon and Sunday night games in full HD quality.
Unblock us is a "smart" VPN in that it will adjust your location to be able to get what you are trying to get. This is why national games aren't a problem as it will point you to somewhere from Europe, while at the same time you can get Hulu since it points you to the USA

I don't know why nba doesn't work, but it just doesn't. I've discussed my workaround in the cable cutting forum
Old Jul 25, 2013, 06:03 AM   #15
davideotape
macrumors 6502

if you have an ipad or iphone you can jb it and set up locationHolic (i think maybe $3-5) and possibly an airplay unlocking app (not sure if mlbtv has airplay built in) and watch local games that way- and on the go too!
davideotape is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:06 AM   #16
amaradino
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideotape View Post
if you have an ipad or iphone you can jb it and set up locationHolic (i think maybe $3-5) and possibly an airplay unlocking app (not sure if mlbtv has airplay built in) and watch local games that way- and on the go too!
This is my exact setup with MLBTV (not sure on NBA). I use fakelocation though, there are some freebies in the cydia marketplace.. just have to find the right one. MLBTV will airplay to the Apple TV.

Also, another workaround I use is playing from a browser (Airplay to Apple TV on 10.7/10.8) and using a mozilla plugin to fake my location, works perfect.
amaradino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:14 AM   #17
davideotape
macrumors 6502

yeag its the only reason i jailbroke the ipad
davideotape is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:46 PM   #18
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by linds15 View Post
Unblock us is a "smart" VPN in that it will adjust your location to be able to get what you are trying to get. This is why national games aren't a problem as it will point you to somewhere from Europe, while at the same time you can get Hulu since it points you to the USA

I don't know why nba doesn't work, but it just doesn't. I've discussed my workaround in the cable cutting forum
I have a 7 day trial with unblockus, but still can not get local MLB games on my computer, roku or apple tv, even though I changed the DNS on my airport extreme to theirs. Still says my area is in a blackout. I know unlockus is working because when I go to NFL game pass with their dns plugged in, it allows me to sign up for game streaming access, while when on my local dns, it does not give me that option.

Last edited by darster; Jul 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:08 PM   #19
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
I have a 7 day trial with unblockus, but still can not get local MLB games on my computer, roku or apple tv, even though I changed the DNS on my airport extreme to theirs. Still says my area is in a blackout. I know unlockus is working because when I go to NFL game pass with their dns plugged in, it allows me to sign up for game streaming access, while when on my local dns, it does not give me that option.

Never mind, I figured it out. I had to change both primary and secondary dns locations on my AEBS.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 06:29 PM   #20
CoachThompsonBR
macrumors newbie

MLBtv on Ipad

So if I download location spoof on my iPad, how does that relate to helping me airplay the games from my iPad because MLB only offers MLB at Bat for iPads not MLB.tv?
CoachThompsonBR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:13 AM   #21
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

if you subscribe to mlb.tv you can watch the games on an IPAD
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:19 AM   #22
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachThompsonBR View Post
So if I download location spoof on my iPad, how does that relate to helping me airplay the games from my iPad because MLB only offers MLB at Bat for iPads not MLB.tv?

I think you need to set up a vpn on the ipad to stream local games
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2014, 07:30 PM   #23
CoachThompsonBR
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
I think you need to set up a vpn on the ipad to stream local games
How about a locationspoofer like Locationholic ?
CoachThompsonBR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2014, 09:26 PM   #24
Billy Boo Bob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachThompsonBR View Post
Within At-Bat you can pull up games via MLB.TV (as well as game day audio).

And it's none of your damn business what Apple gear I own.
Billy Boo Bob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 08:50 AM   #25
alent1234
macrumors 603

do they blackout spring training games?

and I don't think at bat gives you live video of the regular season games, you need the MLB.TV subscription for that. mlb at bat is audio only and a lot of those games if you want to listen to the radio you should be able to stream the station from another app. i've done it last year with Mets games. i don't think there are any blackouts for the audio streams, only the video

MLB TV is on the apple TV as well as almost every other game console, tv and blu ray player so you don't need to airplay from your ipad to the apple tv
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater