Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I received my 11" MacBook Air Ultimate from Apple a couple of days ago and noticed a couple of little defects that day and have been trying to get past them. I realize how silly and little these are, but when I pay almost $2,000 for something, I don't really find it acceptable.

There is also a small nick in the metal on the bottom of the machine. The most annoying thing, I think, is that rubber piece around the screen that seems to have been cut. There is a little shaving that can be moved with a finger.

Also, when you lightly press on the hinge, it moves in and out and doesn't look quite level.

Clearly, these things bother me, but I was lucky to get a Samsung display on this model, and also don't feel like going through the hassle of getting another one (I've been waiting for quite a while), but I guess I might.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Thoughts?

I think I see some dirt under your fingernails and it bothers the OCD in me.

Could you clean that out and repost, please?

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
If it bothers you at least look into getting an acceptable remedy. It's a pricey computer that should thrill you.

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
I would most probably exchange, especially if the hinge isn't right.

MBAs are expensive, rightly so, and although mass produced you shouldn't have cosmetic damage really on a new unit.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I think you're overestimating what manufacturing technology is capable of. This is what $2000 buys you. The type of perfection you want might be available in the $20-30,000 price range.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I think you're overestimating what manufacturing technology is capable of. This is what $2000 buys you. The type of perfection you want might be available in the $20-30,000 price range.

Every other Apple product that I own does not have these kind of little cosmetic defects.

froggyjo

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Switzerland
I wouldn't change it. First because I don't mind very minor scratches (and I'm actually quite OCD when it comes to my Macs) and second because if anything else is fine, I would worry getting a machine with real issues.
But that's me. If it bothers you seriously - change it.

hockeyfanatic

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
Thoughts?

I think I see some dirt under your fingernails and it bothers the OCD in me.

Could you clean that out and repost, please?

Yes. First clean the fingernails, then investigate on touch up paint.
Maybe even contact apple that your unhappy with the exterior condition of the new laptop and unsure whether it's worth returning. Ask them for advice on process, materials, and color, to remedy it yourself.
For those details you will have to wait a while for a response, I believe they will make an effort to remedy it for you, perhaps offering an exchange.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Alrighty, I guess I knew I shouldn't have posted this. I couldn't really capture the defects well in the photos (I have a video that better represents it).

I guess I'll just figure it out on my own. In understand why it seems silly to you guys, thanks for the help though.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Alrighty, I guess I knew I shouldn't have posted this. I couldn't really capture the defects well in the photos (I have a video that better represents it).

I guess I'll just figure it out on my own. In understand why it seems silly to you guys, thanks for the help though.

The photos captured the 'defects' quite well.

hummel003

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
i would keep it. if thats the only thing thats wrong with it. maybe u get another one that has bigger problems. this isnt noticable enough. if u buy a plastic windows laptop for 2000 dollar there is alot more wrong with it cosmetically than this

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I don't see what it is that you're concerned about. I would keep it. Just think (as tragic as this is), in a few months, you'll bang the computer into something or accidentally scratch it (especially on the bottom) and these "defects" won't it even register any more. Gives it a little charm nonetheless.

funkiejack

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
I would absolutely exchange it due to the hinge not shutting tight. In fact, the one I got last week has the same exact 3 defects, chip on the shell, shaving defect around the screen, and the screen has an extra gap when closed. Compared to my 2011, Apple's QC seems to be declining :mad:

Yes, I signed up just to post. If you noticed these minor imperfections, then you will continue to notice them! Not something that you should have to endure when you pay the Apple premium.

ok.Eric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
First check and see if you have a samsung or LG screen, then make a decision after you figure that out.

I had the LG and got the Samsung after an exchange (just got lucky I guess) and I feel like I like the Samsung better. Really just opinion, but getting one or the other is kind of a 50/50 chance since you can't choose which screen you get when you buy one.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
First check and see if you have a samsung or LG screen, then make a decision after you figure that out.

I had the LG and got the Samsung after an exchange (just got lucky I guess) and I feel like I like the Samsung better. Really just opinion, but getting one or the other is kind of a 50/50 chance since you can't choose which screen you get when you buy one.

I have a Samsung. I'll try to think of these marks as character, like another poster said.

If it really continues to bother me this week I'll just go over to an Apple Store and exchange it.

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
Oh no not another one of these guys...

As for the stuff you posted in the picture, that's fairly minor and I can't even tell what's wrong in the photos. The hinge is maybe an exchange/repair job but I've heard they can tighten that instore?

As for the Samsung/LG screen, once the calibration profile is applied they're pretty damn similar, with the LG edging it on gradients, something the Samsung can't fix with a colour profile.

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Thoughts?

You asked for "thoughts" so here's mine... you're way too nitpicky. That kind of stuff is likely going to happen during regular handling. I can't even see what you're referring to anyways.

It seems you had your mind made up before you posted, then why ask? It's over the top. Deal with it or return it, it's not up to us.

hockeyfanatic

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
Oh no not another one of these guys...

As for the stuff you posted in the picture, that's fairly minor and I can't even tell what's wrong in the photos. The hinge is maybe an exchange/repair job but I've heard they can tighten that instore?

As for the Samsung/LG screen, once the calibration profile is applied they're pretty damn similar, with the LG edging it on gradients, something the Samsung can't fix with a colour profile.

Hopefully just calibration difficulty. Somewhat off topic. When I was shopping for plasma monitors the Panasonic always looked good calibrated. The Samsung always looked like crap at several best buys. Too much red, blues, and contrast. I tried adjusting it myself. No such luck. At a 6 ave store their Samsung plasma looked awesome. Much better than the Panasonic.
Knowing what was possible I would have gotten the Samsung and hired someone to calibrate it over the Panasonic. They must have been very difficult to calibrate out the box.
I ended up with a Pioneer, but back to the mac air. Calibration is everything with monitors. Some are a real b**** to get done right. They may be even result better than another easy out of the box calibration model.

Just food for thought.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
The nick and the hinge defect might suggest the machine has been knocked or dropped and may cause issues if there's a future warranty claim. I'd say register a complaint... but expect that you might be blamed.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't even see anything wrong with the hinge, and I have one of these machines.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
upon reviewing the pix, Ida said no. After reading the actual conditions I would say yes. The design was to have a rubber gasket around the screen. I would assume them to remain intact. If the rubber is cut then is it defeating the purpose of why it was added to the design? Although you have the sammy, exchange it.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.