Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374428705.918528.jpg

The cube I got (looked like it fell off a truck, and was going to be parted out) has been put back together, and just needs a charger. Is there a big difference between a rage 128 and a geforce 6200, and between 1 and 1.5GB of RAM.

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
Yes, there is a HUGE difference between the Rage 128 and a GeForce 6200, which is what I'm running in my cube, specially if you want to use Leopard (you need a CPU upgrade for that, if you don't have one, and it needs to be specifically designed for the Cube or you'll fry it).

Between 1,5 and 1GB, yes, there's difference. Not much, but noticeable. However, for the price RAM has those days, you should definitely upgrade it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I've told this story at least two times here now, but I'll tell it again.

My dad and I found a Cube that had been thrown in the dumpster at school, so we took it up to the photo lab. All it needed was a good clean and it worked fine. They sold it for a good $100+ even.

They might not have been the best machines at the time, but man, those things could go through a LOT!

Long live the cube! :D Wish I had one.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Should I get a new PSU and a windoze 2K DVD to flash the 6200 in an ancient AMD rig?

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
Where do I get one cheap?

Try lowendmac mailing list, the market here (and in other forums too). The ones in eBay are expensive and will cost a lot to ship. However, there are other ways to power it up without an original Cube PSU, using an external MDD power supply, but it's messy and will need to have your Cube open, so it's only viable for testing and you'll need a spare PSU from a MDD that you'll probably won't be able to use again.

jpcoelho

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Aveiro, Portugal
Where do I get one cheap?
There was a link in the original thread regarding this cube (from the member that sold/gave it you) for a university surplus website which had the cube power supply for 20-$30, I don't recall exactly... that is very, very cheap in comparison to what normal prices for those power bricks are...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.