Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I have a 4s currently and could upgrade to the 5s this October...

... but the thought has crossed my head: Should I just keep my 4s until it breaks, and THEN simply get an out-of-warranty replacement to keep the game going?

Anyone else out there thinking this same way?

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009

... but the thought has crossed my head: Should I just keep my 4s until it breaks, and THEN simply get an out-of-warranty replacement to keep the game going?

OR get the 5S and sell your 4s on CL or Ebay. I am sure you will get decent money for it, if you are lucky you could even get $200 to pay for your upgrade.

farmkittie

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
I have a 4 that I got two weeks after it was released

I still have my iPhone 4 from back when it was released. It's in flawless condition. I will get a new one when it comes out this fall. I think that they may stop selling iPhone 4 when the new one comes out but it would be great to get some money for it. I want the new technology. I didn't mind waiting these three years or so but I'm ready now....

astoxos

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Keeping my 4s until not supported or until apple rocks the marker with another radical innovation. i5 was nothing major for me, and 5s' double flash and fingerprint scan makes me think they are out of ideas in california.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
If you're due for an upgrade and do not want the 5S then you be foolish to not use upgrade anyway. Just buy one for $200 with your upgrade and sell it for like $700. Then keep your 4S. You're paying the carrier for a subsidy so don't hold the upgrade and keep paying them without making them subsidize another device for you.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

Exactly the same. Don't really care for any new features. Just glad that my camera is 8MP which is more than enough. I think the 4S was built much better than the iPhone 5 too.

Hoping it wont break but if the battery dies, I might just get a battery replacement for $80.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Some people don't feel the need to have the latest and greatest.
I'm keeping my 5 until it no longer is supported by new versions of iOS, and even then, I may still keep it.

Yeah, I know that. if he pays for an out of warranty replacement he's obviously trying hard to not upgrade. Since he's on a contract I don't see why he wouldn't upgrade if he actually did need a new phone. Aren't out of warranty replacements 149-200 dollars? Do people enjoy laggy phones? >_> Maybe he doesn't like the new iPhones for some reason.

macconservative

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts

We still have a couple iPhone 4 that need to be replace but we're waiting until the new ones come out.

iLuvMyMacToo

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Australia
You're iPhone has wheels? :eek:

I made the conscious decision to hold onto my 4S until the 5S is released because I bought the 4 then it wasn't too long after the 4S came out. I'd probably stay on that track of upgrades too, it coincides with my mobile contract as well.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Exactly the same. Don't really care for any new features. Just glad that my camera is 8MP which is more than enough. I think the 4S was built much better than the iPhone 5 too.

Hoping it wont break but if the battery dies, I might just get a battery replacement for $80.

Right? Glad that a real knowledgeable person on the forum here has thought about the same thing.

To me it just seems like the 4S does pretty much everything:
- Takes great pictures
- Great screen brightness
- Very quick and smooth
- Supremely pocketable
- Battery life to get through the day
- Turn by turn directions
- Jailbreak to play gaming emulators with Bluetooth controller

I mean does the 5 (or soon to be 5S) really make THAT much an improvement over the 4S to justify a new contract for a $650 phone? The only "significant" improvement that I see in the 5 is the inclusion of LTE... yet stat geeks treat LTE like it really makes a difference in real world performance vs HSPA+ :confused:

Keeping my 4s until not supported or until apple rocks the marker with another radical innovation. i5 was nothing major for me, and 5s' double flash and fingerprint scan makes me think they are out of ideas in california.

I agree. If the 5S main features are gimmicks like a fingerprint sensor then it's basically an worthless upgrade (kind of like how the Galaxy S4 gimmicks didn't translate to make it upgrade worthy). It's kind of sad to see a leader in the industry (Apple) start to turn into a lazy company that milk it's old products with tiny changes in order to call in an upgrade when its anything but :(

If you're due for an upgrade and do not want the 5S then you be foolish to not use upgrade anyway. Just buy one for $200 with your upgrade and sell it for like $700. Then keep your 4S. You're paying the carrier for a subsidy so don't hold the upgrade and keep paying them without making them subsidize another device for you.

Hmmm you may be right...lets see.

If I upgrade this Oct when the 5S comes out for $286 ($200 for phone + $36 upgrade fee + $50 in taxes here in CA), then sell it on Craigslist for $700, then I nab a profit of $414 for a 24 month period (around $17 per month)

I wonder if sticking my 4S on pre-paid would save a good amount more than $17 per month to make it worth doing over the buy-and-immediately-sell route you describe?

Either way, thanks for the idea and the time you took to write it :)

Why? Do you like using 3g or something?
I get unlimited 3G on Verizon (most places I go to its 5 bars).

So yes.

Is HSPA+ really that slow? Unless your downloading large files (which rarely occurs on a smartphone) at most LTE would load a webpage or map result 2 - 3 seconds faster. Seems like a very small amount of time to wait. For some reason stat/spec geeks love to mention LTE 20mbps downloads like its the 2nd coming of Jesus... yet in real life usage it barely makes a difference in web browsing / app usage.

Why? Do you like using 3g or something?
I'm keeping my 5 until it no longer is supported by new versions of iOS, and even then, I may still keep it.

Exactly. Why continuously upgrade if you have a device that works fine already? That would be like me buying a car and then 2 years later upgrading to a new one because of a couple new small improvements.

Yeah, I know that. if he pays for an out of warranty replacement he's obviously trying hard to not upgrade. Since he's on a contract I don't see why he wouldn't upgrade if he actually did need a new phone. Aren't out of warranty replacements 149-200 dollars? Do people enjoy laggy phones? >_> Maybe he doesn't like the new iPhones for some reason.

Once the 5S comes out the out-of-warranty replacement cost for the 4S will be $149 for a brand new one if needed. Seems like a bargain compared to locking yourself into a contract for a $650 phone. Why not take the 4S that still handles most anything the new model does and go pre-paid to save $$$ each month? I guess I just don't get into the zombie mode of needing the latest model without really thinking wether or not the purchase will really improve my experience.

iPhone4 loyalty. Completely understandable.

Yeah, the 4/4S was just so good a design that its sad to see them turn the product line into a scruffgate mess of things. Not that it's a huge deal but I actually prefer the 3.5 inch screen compared to the 4 inch screen of the iPhone 5.

We still have a couple iPhone 4 that need to be replace but we're waiting until the new ones come out.

Which ones? The 5S? or the 6 next year?

I only use my iPhone 4 to make calls and text my girl, so I have no real reason to upgrade.

Glad to hear you don't have that compulsive itch to upgrade just because you are a slave for the latest and greatest.

You're iPhone has wheels? :eek:

I made the conscious decision to hold onto my 4S until the 5S is released because I bought the 4 then it wasn't too long after the 4S came out. I'd probably stay on that track of upgrades too, it coincides with my mobile contract as well.

Yes.

Yes it does.

OR get the 5S and sell your 4s on CL or Ebay. I am sure you will get decent money for it, if you are lucky you could even get $200 to pay for your upgrade.

That's entirely opposite of what this thread is talking about ;)

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Once the 5S comes out the out-of-warranty replacement cost for the 4S will be $149 for a brand new one if needed. Seems like a bargain compared to locking yourself into a contract for a $650 phone. Why not take the 4S that still handles most anything the new model does and go pre-paid to save $$$ each month? I guess I just don't get into the zombie mode of needing the latest model without really thinking wether or not the purchase will really improve my experience.

Oh, I thought you were going to be on contract. Since you're not, I think it's a good idea to stick with the same model of phone. If you were going to be on contract, upgrading to the next phone could be cheaper than an out of warranty replacement years down the line.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013

That's my plan as well.

I also don't know how good it is for the environment with all the mobile phones that are disposed of each year. I am just glad that iPhones are made of material that can be recycled.

The 4S has a dual core chip, fast enough network radio, and a good camera. The 5 similarly has plenty of performance headroom. No need to replace a device that does things well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

awesomest47

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2012
This is assuming you got your new phone in Novermber. Mine is from July 2012 so I've got a while more to go! The likelihood is I'll wait past the iPhone 5S and get the iPhone 6 in November. :)

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Still using my 4 here as well. My question is this: what can the 5 do that my current phone CANNOT do? The list is pretty short: Siri, Apple Maps turn-by-turn (but Google maps work fine), certain newer games, some iOS features (almost all Apple restricted). That's really it.

Notice that I didn't say how WELL it does things. The 5 does nearly everything better. But my 4 can still do almost all of it. I currently have 2 "wants": LTE and a better camera. But I have no actual "need" for a newer model.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I was using a 3GS until a few months ago, and it worked flawlessly on iOS 6. I have the 4 now and I can't see a reason to upgrade.

The *only* reason I will upgrade is if they get a significantly larger screen.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

I have a 16GB 4S. I have Verizon. So, in response to the question, HELL NO.

I'm waiting for the new model and then upgrading back to at least a 32GB model. For some dumb reason I thought I could get by on a 16GB 4S. I should've known better as an alum of the original iPhone 8GB, but I'm just stupid.

I want a bigger screen, I want LTE. I want 64GB of storage, but if it's still $400 I'm probably going to just go with 32GB. I also want to use AirDrop when it gets released, and you need at least a 5 for that.

skasol

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007

LTE was a good enough reason for me to update.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

In my experience iPhones last at least 4 years [2 for me, 2 for my GF], however that said all my previous phone are perfectly functional and in great shape, so you could probably squeeze 5 years out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.